[SOLVED] 2080ti overheating extremely fast on select games, on others not at all

Oct 22, 2020
I'm confused about a number of things. I'm running a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti , I don't think my other hardware matters, it's all high end stuff I bought in late 2018 except for the PSU which is a Corsair 700 or 750 watt I picked up maybe 2013.

Until a couple months ago, I've never had a problem with the card overheating. One day, I heard the fans become extremely loud when gaming. I monitored the temperature, and found it was hitting 80 celcius, activating the fans. I couldn't understand what was happening, because I was playing games like Dota 2, Starcraft 2, and even the most visually un-complex scenes (idling in a forest) in World of Warcraft were enough to push my card to 80!

I installed the new Amnesia game the other day, and the card went over 80 during the first loading screen.

Now, you might think there's a problem with airflow or thermal paste etc. But here's the thing: the card will idle between 40-50 celcius, and when I play Batman: Arkham Knight at 4k, all settings maxxed, the temp won't go past 53 celcius! Similarly, with CS:GO, almost no temperature increase over idle. Then I switch to PUBG, and it overheats during the loading screen.

I said at the beginning I was confused about a number of things. Here's another one: when I manually push the fan speed to 100% in MSI Afterburner, it isn't nearly as loud as when the fans activate automatically -- so it's not actually 100%? I don't know if this is relevant to my problem, but it adds to my confusion.

I still have a year left on the warranty, but I wanted to ask around before I send it back -- I haven't been able to find anyone else online describing this problem. Would really appreciate any insight at all.

Solution
80c is not overheating. and yes by default fan speed are not pushed to 100% speed. most often manufacturer optimized the fan curved towards acoustic performance to minimize noise. this most often lead the card to heat up quite a bit because of lower fan speed. but you can always adjust the fan curve yourself using third party tool such as MSI Afterburner (which will work on any brand of GPU).

with batman arkham knight the temperature are lower because that game have frame rate limiter. the highest it can go is 90FPS. and since it is game from 2015 it wasn't that hard to the GPU as well even at 4k maxed out. hence the temperature is lower when the GPU are not pushed to pump out as many frame rate it can. for other game it "overheats"...

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
how much dust is in the card maybe the dust perhaps finally built up enough to effect the temps ,,, have you checked and made sure the fans are still running as they should, as far as fan curves i know you may not want to use this but try the aurus engine to control the fans,, msi afterburner for the overclock, I have a 1660 super from gigabyte I had to adjust the fan curve on it out of the box to keep the temps decent. with aurus engine. also could be a driver issue so try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver updating the driver etc .

80c is not overheating. and yes by default fan speed are not pushed to 100% speed. most often manufacturer optimized the fan curved towards acoustic performance to minimize noise. this most often lead the card to heat up quite a bit because of lower fan speed. but you can always adjust the fan curve yourself using third party tool such as MSI Afterburner (which will work on any brand of GPU).

with batman arkham knight the temperature are lower because that game have frame rate limiter. the highest it can go is 90FPS. and since it is game from 2015 it wasn't that hard to the GPU as well even at 4k maxed out. hence the temperature is lower when the GPU are not pushed to pump out as many frame rate it can. for other game it "overheats" most likely because the GPU are being pushed as hard as it could without FPS limiter.

Solution
Oct 22, 2020

with batman arkham knight the temperature are lower because that game have frame rate limiter. the highest it can go is 90FPS. and since it is game from 2015 it wasn't that hard to the GPU as well even at 4k maxed out. hence the temperature is lower when the GPU are not pushed to pump out as many frame rate it can. for other game it "overheats" most likely because the GPU are being pushed as hard as it could without FPS limiter.

Thanks for the tip about frame rates. That fixed the issue with PUBG. I'm now thinking it's the case with a number of these games, and the problem has showed up because of perhaps dust buildup as Mike suggested.

Arkham knight is a very demanding game maxed. The PhysX alone can bring hardware to it's knees.

Would check the drivers are up to date.