20D : USA based website giving indicative street prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm doing a round the world trip starting in April. I'm based in Australia,
and will be visiting Hawaii, several nice places in the USA, then Europe. I
intend to buy a new Canon 20D either before or during this trip. :eek:)

If I buy it before I travel I'll have time to practice with it and be quite
competent when I get to nice places. The downside is that I will have to
pay the full cost of the camera in Australia. I'll save 10% tax due to a
tourist refund thing the Aussie government offer, but even so this is
rarely the cheapest place to by such things.

If I buy it when in the USA I could save a bundle, especially if the US$
stays weak. But then I'll have to use my current camera for the bulk, if
not all, of my trip.

The question of when (and where) I buy the camera pivots of exactly how much
money I could save by purchasing in, say, San Francisco or NYC. How can I
find that out? I'd be purchasing from a high street store, rather than
online, so are there any websites which will tell me how much cameras cost
on the US street?

musty

"Derek Fountain" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message
> I'm doing a round the world trip starting in April. I'm based in
Australia,
> and will be visiting Hawaii, several nice places in the USA, then Europe.
> intend to buy a new Canon 20D either before or during this trip. :eek:)
>
> If I buy it before I travel I'll have time to practice with it and be
quite
> competent when I get to nice places. The downside is that I will have to
> pay the full cost of the camera in Australia. I'll save 10% tax due to a
> tourist refund thing the Aussie government offer, but even so this is
> rarely the cheapest place to by such things.
>
> If I buy it when in the USA I could save a bundle, especially if the US$
> stays weak. But then I'll have to use my current camera for the bulk, if
> not all, of my trip.
>
> The question of when (and where) I buy the camera pivots of exactly how
much
> money I could save by purchasing in, say, San Francisco or NYC. How can I
> find that out? I'd be purchasing from a high street store, rather than
> online, so are there any websites which will tell me how much cameras cost
> on the US street?

My $.002 is:

- The US dollar started to swing back, so dont hold your breath. I would say
it will end up 0.7-0.75 in next few months
- Pricing here in the US is pretty firm ($1400-$1500 for body), unless you
go to "dodgy" places.
- Having the camera to learn all the features and get a "feel" for its
latitude is going to be key : unless you want to waste time on your trip
reading the manual and practicing (possibly missing opportunities)
- What if there is something wrong with the camera? What will you do then?
Canon in Oz won't help you mate.
- I really think you should buy in Oz (even though it may cost more).
Atleast you will have a warranty and you can learn to use it before the trip
- Maybe you canjust buy accessories in the US. The best place is NYC
- Bottom line comes down to - do you feel lucky?

Musty.

Look around for cheapest price n buy locally.
At least when you get back from your trip IF anything happens , you can
chuck it to Canon Australia for fixing
+ 20D is known for some small bugs .. so you might want to test EVERYthing
before you leave.
+ they might not have stock :D
+ US street price would be near bhphoto.com / amazon.com prices hence for
USD 1499 / AUD 2000 body only there and AUD 2300+ [ 2600 - GST ] locally,
I would settle for to buy locally.

=bob=

Musty wrote:
> "Derek Fountain" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm doing a round the world trip starting in April. I'm based in
>
> Australia,
>
>>and will be visiting Hawaii, several nice places in the USA, then Europe.

>>intend to buy a new Canon 20D either before or during this trip. :eek:)
>>
>>If I buy it before I travel I'll have time to practice with it and be
>
> quite
>
>>competent when I get to nice places. The downside is that I will have to
>>pay the full cost of the camera in Australia. I'll save 10% tax due to a
>>tourist refund thing the Aussie government offer, but even so this is
>>rarely the cheapest place to by such things.
>>
>>If I buy it when in the USA I could save a bundle, especially if the US$
>>stays weak. But then I'll have to use my current camera for the bulk, if
>>not all, of my trip.
>>
>>The question of when (and where) I buy the camera pivots of exactly how
>
> much
>
>>money I could save by purchasing in, say, San Francisco or NYC. How can I
>>find that out? I'd be purchasing from a high street store, rather than
>>online, so are there any websites which will tell me how much cameras cost
>>on the US street?
>

> My $.002 is:
>
> - The US dollar started to swing back, so dont hold your breath. I would say
> it will end up 0.7-0.75 in next few months
> - Pricing here in the US is pretty firm ($1400-$1500 for body), unless you
> go to "dodgy" places.
> - Having the camera to learn all the features and get a "feel" for its
> latitude is going to be key : unless you want to waste time on your trip
> reading the manual and practicing (possibly missing opportunities)
> - What if there is something wrong with the camera? What will you do then?
> Canon in Oz won't help you mate.
> - I really think you should buy in Oz (even though it may cost more).
> Atleast you will have a warranty and you can learn to use it before the trip
> - Maybe you canjust buy accessories in the US. The best place is NYC
> - Bottom line comes down to - do you feel lucky?
>
> Musty.

You should be able to get decent pictures with the 20D right out of the
box. The "automatic" modes cover many basic shooting situations. The
beauty of RAW mode (and digital in general) is that you can fix problems
later or just toss the pics if unrepairable. Good composition and
subject selection will shine through.

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Chip Gallo
www.chipster.biz

You might try BHPHOTO.COM in NYC. You may be able to purchase the camera and
have it shipped to you in Hawaii. I only Recommend BHPhoto as they are
reptuable, honest and offer great service.

Tim
Akron Ohio

musty

"ONE VIDEO" <onevideo@aol.com> wrote in message
> You might try BHPHOTO.COM in NYC. You may be able to purchase the camera
and
> have it shipped to you in Hawaii. I only Recommend BHPhoto as they are
> reptuable, honest and offer great service.
>
> Tim
> Akron Ohio

Also 17th street photo (www.17photo.com)

Bought 3 cameras from them and many accessories - awesome. B & H is great
also. I only buy from those two.

Musty.

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm doing a round the world trip starting in April. I'm based in Australia,
> and will be visiting Hawaii, several nice places in the USA, then Europe. I
> intend to buy a new Canon 20D either before or during this trip. :eek:)
>
> If I buy it before I travel I'll have time to practice with it and be quite
> competent when I get to nice places. The downside is that I will have to
> pay the full cost of the camera in Australia. I'll save 10% tax due to a
> tourist refund thing the Aussie government offer, but even so this is
> rarely the cheapest place to by such things.
>
> If I buy it when in the USA I could save a bundle, especially if the US$
> stays weak. But then I'll have to use my current camera for the bulk, if
> not all, of my trip.
>
> The question of when (and where) I buy the camera pivots of exactly how much
> money I could save by purchasing in, say, San Francisco or NYC. How can I
> find that out? I'd be purchasing from a high street store, rather than
> online, so are there any websites which will tell me how much cameras cost
> on the US street?

Going via Japan may be an option. I've no idea what US prices but in Japan
the average price is around 236,000 yen (20D plus 17-85 lens) at 105 yen to
the US dollar that's $2250 or about AUS$2950. What's the Oz and US price?