Sep 1, 2024
I'm torn between wanting to put together a new rig now, and waiting until the 15th generation Intel comes out sometime in October or November. Using only components available now, this is the build I've come up with so far.

Newegg PC Builder Component List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KS - Core i9 14th Gen Raptor Lake 24-Core (8P+16E) Performance-core Base Frequency: 3.2 GHz Efficient-core Base Frequency: 2.4 GHz LGA 1700 150W Intel UHD Graphics 770

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero (WiFi 7) LGA 1700(14th,13th,12th Gen) DDR5 ATX gaming motherboard(PCIe 5.0x16 with Q release, five M.2 slots,20+1+2 power stages,2x Thunderbolt 4 ports

Memory: 2 x Patriot Viper Xtreme 5 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 7800 (PC5 62400) Desktop Memory Model PVXR532G78C38K

Video Cards: MSI Suprim GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G

Case: NZXT H9 Elite - All Black - CM-H91EB-01 - Premium Dual-Chamber - Mid-Tower - RGB Fans - Case

Power Supply: Rosewill CMG5 1200W, ATX 3.0 & 3.1 Compatible, 80+ Gold Full Modular Power Supply, PCIe 5.0 600W 12V-2x6 Connector, Japanese Capacitor, 120mm FDB Fans

Storage: Seagate IronWolf Pro 22TB Enterprise NAS Internal HDD – CMR 3.5in SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (ST22000NT001)

Storage: 2 x SAMSUNG SSD 990 PRO 4TB, PCIe Gen4 M.2 2280, Seq. Read Speeds Up-to 7,450MB/s for High End Computing, Gaming, and Heavy Duty Workstation

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360L Core White 360mm Close-Loop AIO Liquid Cooler, ARGB Sync, Gen S Coldplate Pump, 120mm PWM, CryoFuze 14W/Mk, AMD Ryzen AM5/AM4, Intel LGA 1700

To give a breakdown on why I chose the components and where my thought process is at, I'll start with the Motherboard. I went with the Dark Hero board, because it had the latest gen wifi with bluetooth, and could accommodate RAM with a faster read and cache. I wanted 64GB of ram at a faster speed than 6000, the Dark Hero can handle up to 8000+ in OC mode, so I went with a ram that sits at 7800 Speed. I also like how the board has multiple m.2 slots, so while I may start out with 2 SDD drives, I could always add more. The board's wireless also supports up to 6G, meaning as technology advances, the board will be able to adapt to at least the next few generations with minimal upgrades as necessary, making it a longer-lasting board.

The Ram was chosen purely for speed.

The I9 14900ks seems to be slightly better than the 14900k and 14900kf, and just felt like it was a better suited processor for gaming.

I was torn on the video card. I wanted a water cooled card, but didn't like the price of the GIGABYTE Aorus which was almost twice the price of the GIGABYTE OC-24GD, but the MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid seems to be a workable compromise. It is a shorter length card, but has AI-enhanced voice and video features using DLSS 3 graphics enhancement and it's essentially the same price as the OC-24GD, so I went with that.

Water cooling is important to me, as I tend to push my machines with multiple programs and screens, a lot of rendering and processing and since I also stream, I wanted something a little quieter and have found liquid cooling tends to do just that.

The case is a nice size, mid-tower with plenty of fans to supplement the water cooling of the CPU and graphics cards, It's sleek looking making the RGB lights really shine and making for a nice display while gaming.

I went with 2 of the 4TB Samsung 990 Pro m.2 drives. One will be for OS and important programs, the other will be for games installed to stream and other streaming software. The 22TB HDD Seagate Iron wolf, is pure vanity. I'm a digital hoarder, and have already maxed out my 14TB Purple drive and several 8TB Portables, so this will give me a little more storage space to archive my favorite digital content.

The Cooler Master Master Liquid 360 White Close-Loop AIO Cooler seemed to be the right fit to go with this build. I wanted a decent sized cooler and at 360mm, it was as bang on as I could get. I thought about going Corsair, as I've used them in the past, but my past build ended up with a lot of defective corsair components that wasted weeks of build time and stress. The rating of this cooler seemed decent, it fit my parameters and was on sale, so it made the most sense.

Finally, though the setup would only need about 905Watts, I opted for a 1200 Watt Power Supply. My thinking on this was, should I decide to upgrade later, to the next gen video card or processor, upgrade ram, I didn't want to have to worry about squeezing in something to fit the power supply, I wanted the power supply to be able to accommodate whatever changes I threw at it. Maybe it's a little overkill, but I would rather have more wiggle room than less.

So yeah, that's what I've come up with so far. Just toying around with different things and wanting to put together a powerhouse gaming rig that's also fit for streaming and intensive processing. Let me know what you guys think or if anyone has any ideas for improvements, I'm interested.

I'm torn between wanting to put together a new rig now, and waiting until the 15th generation Intel comes out sometime in October or November. Using only components available now, this is the build I've come up with so far.

Newegg PC Builder Component List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KS - Core i9 14th Gen Raptor Lake 24-Core (8P+16E) Performance-core Base Frequency: 3.2 GHz Efficient-core Base Frequency: 2.4 GHz LGA 1700 150W Intel UHD Graphics 770

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero (WiFi 7) LGA 1700(14th,13th,12th Gen) DDR5 ATX gaming motherboard(PCIe 5.0x16 with Q release, five M.2 slots,20+1+2 power stages,2x Thunderbolt 4 ports

Memory: 2 x Patriot Viper Xtreme 5 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 7800 (PC5 62400) Desktop Memory Model PVXR532G78C38K

Video Cards: MSI Suprim GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G

Case: NZXT H9 Elite - All Black - CM-H91EB-01 - Premium Dual-Chamber - Mid-Tower - RGB Fans - Case

Power Supply: Rosewill CMG5 1200W, ATX 3.0 & 3.1 Compatible, 80+ Gold Full Modular Power Supply, PCIe 5.0 600W 12V-2x6 Connector, Japanese Capacitor, 120mm FDB Fans

Storage: Seagate IronWolf Pro 22TB Enterprise NAS Internal HDD – CMR 3.5in SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (ST22000NT001)

Storage: 2 x SAMSUNG SSD 990 PRO 4TB, PCIe Gen4 M.2 2280, Seq. Read Speeds Up-to 7,450MB/s for High End Computing, Gaming, and Heavy Duty Workstation

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360L Core White 360mm Close-Loop AIO Liquid Cooler, ARGB Sync, Gen S Coldplate Pump, 120mm PWM, CryoFuze 14W/Mk, AMD Ryzen AM5/AM4, Intel LGA 1700

To give a breakdown on why I chose the components and where my thought process is at, I'll start with the Motherboard. I went with the Dark Hero board, because it had the latest gen wifi with bluetooth, and could accommodate RAM with a faster read and cache. I wanted 64GB of ram at a faster speed than 6000, the Dark Hero can handle up to 8000+ in OC mode, so I went with a ram that sits at 7800 Speed. I also like how the board has multiple m.2 slots, so while I may start out with 2 SDD drives, I could always add more. The board's wireless also supports up to 6G, meaning as technology advances, the board will be able to adapt to at least the next few generations with minimal upgrades as necessary, making it a longer-lasting board.

The Ram was chosen purely for speed.

The I9 14900ks seems to be slightly better than the 14900k and 14900kf, and just felt like it was a better suited processor for gaming.

I was torn on the video card. I wanted a water cooled card, but didn't like the price of the GIGABYTE Aorus which was almost twice the price of the GIGABYTE OC-24GD, but the MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid seems to be a workable compromise. It is a shorter length card, but has AI-enhanced voice and video features using DLSS 3 graphics enhancement and it's essentially the same price as the OC-24GD, so I went with that.

Water cooling is important to me, as I tend to push my machines with multiple programs and screens, a lot of rendering and processing and since I also stream, I wanted something a little quieter and have found liquid cooling tends to do just that.

The case is a nice size, mid-tower with plenty of fans to supplement the water cooling of the CPU and graphics cards, It's sleek looking making the RGB lights really shine and making for a nice display while gaming.

I went with 2 of the 4TB Samsung 990 Pro m.2 drives. One will be for OS and important programs, the other will be for games installed to stream and other streaming software. The 22TB HDD Seagate Iron wolf, is pure vanity. I'm a digital hoarder, and have already maxed out my 14TB Purple drive and several 8TB Portables, so this will give me a little more storage space to archive my favorite digital content.

The Cooler Master Master Liquid 360 White Close-Loop AIO Cooler seemed to be the right fit to go with this build. I wanted a decent sized cooler and at 360mm, it was as bang on as I could get. I thought about going Corsair, as I've used them in the past, but my past build ended up with a lot of defective corsair components that wasted weeks of build time and stress. The rating of this cooler seemed decent, it fit my parameters and was on sale, so it made the most sense.

Finally, though the setup would only need about 905Watts, I opted for a 1200 Watt Power Supply. My thinking on this was, should I decide to upgrade later, to the next gen video card or processor, upgrade ram, I didn't want to have to worry about squeezing in something to fit the power supply, I wanted the power supply to be able to accommodate whatever changes I threw at it. Maybe it's a little overkill, but I would rather have more wiggle room than less.

So yeah, that's what I've come up with so far. Just toying around with different things and wanting to put together a powerhouse gaming rig that's also fit for streaming and intensive processing. Let me know what you guys think or if anyone has any ideas for improvements, I'm interested.
That cpu is a trainwreck. Look at a locked 13 or 14 gen i7.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would advise highly against the Intel platform, not until they've sorted themselves out. In spite of all the info you've parsed up in your thread's body, it'd have been best if you stylized your thrad with info asked of in this thread;
including all tasks that you'll be taxing the system with, sans an etc in there, meaning you include the names of the app's you use/intend to tax the build with and the titles of the games.

PCPartPicker is your friend if you're located in one of the countries in the drop down menu(located at the top right hand corner) but we do ask for your location, your preferred site for purchase and your absolute budget, to help make users responding to your thread with a tailored answer.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
A 13/14th generation i9 is a red flag.

Those i9 and i7 CPUs are sometimes unstable. Yours may work fine but there is a high risk of problems.

I wouldn't consider anything more powerfull than a 13/14600K.
If that's not enough power, consider AMD's lineup or wait until the 15th gen.

Also, the 14900KS was a nuclear CPU even before the instability problems. Yes it does have slightly higher peak performance but at the cost of considerable power use.
But the kicker is that peak power is not going to be used very frequently. It's there for topping benchmarks and satisfying "must have greatest and fastest" buyers, but in average performance it's not worth it's price.

You'd be served just as well with a 14700K, except that generation i7 is at risk of instability. So either step down to i5 or wait

The money you save buying the 13600K will go a long way towards getting you a really nice monitor or GPU.

And speaking of GPU, there is not much time before the next generation Nvidias come out. Your 4090 will be surpassed in about 2 months.
Why not spend your money on a brand new 5090 instead, or whatever is the best at the time you buy the PC.

Your thought process is generally ok. A lot of overkill but nothing wrong with having "the best".
However, you have slightly underestimated the power requirement, so look for a top quality PSU. 1600W max, unless you wait and buy next generation CPU/GPU because they're more energy efficient.

There are also some components where "the best" isn't the right choice. The 14900KS chip is one example where you're basically throwing money away. But you also don't need a Samsung 990 in every slot, because plenty of other brands can match it for reliability, and it's slightly higher speeds are often not noticeable.

Finally, this Venom kit is faster: Patriot Venom PVV532G700C32K - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zy...-x-16-gb-ddr5-7000-cl32-memory-pvv532g700c32k
It's M/T rating is lower but it's latency is much lower and if you're primarily into gaming, low latency should be your priority.