21 Consoles And Handhelds That Crashed And Burned

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]You guys forgot to mention the Amiga CD32. Good read overall though.[/citation]
Yhea, the Commodore console was the CD32 . CDTV is what we call today HTPC. It could play most of the aviable cd formats of the day (CD-ROM, Audio CD, CD+G, CD+MIDI,etc) and "Only Amiga" type animations.

Unfotunately for Commodore; the World Wide Web and the MP3 was not big deal at the time else it could had been a hit.

jaideep1337

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Well we don't know the exact sales figures for the PS vita since they haven't updated it on the wiki for the past 6 months so not a good idea to call it a big fail although I do admit it is expensive and will sell much better if there were some decent price drops.

G

While it is all good and fun to point and laugh at the Phantom, one cannot help but wonder if the Phantom was simply too far ahead of its time. The concept - a home console centered entirely around a digital distribution model - is a sound one and is indeed the way of the future.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I still think they should have combined the Vita and Xperia Play into one device. I no longer have a handheld gaming device because all I play now is my Xperia Play. It does everything from NES through Playstation games, a few N64 games, and just about all the Android games available.
Sure, there are great games on the 3DS and Vita, but not nearly enough to justify spending that much money for a dedicated gaming handheld.

Rob Blue

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I own a vita, It's awesome, It's really fast. The battery lasts forever, I only wish they had better RPG titles since I'm not a fan of Anime. Which sucks, because the japanese love games with hunter or tactics on the end. I with they would release a Mass Effect, Dragon age or a remake of some old SSI D&D games. Even and updated ultimate alliance.
I give the Japanese props for the old NES/SNES RPG's but now they're too complicated. They're also full of with screaming girls and over done sword sound effects.
I want to get my port of Planescape Torment or Pool of Radiance, Or do I have to play persona somecrap part 4.5 and Gundammoonmanastarmonster quest. Or ガンダムガンダムムンマナ星モンスタークエスト XIV part 27

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

That is incorrect. Night Trap and Sewer Shark had nothing whatsoever to do with Coleco. Coleco was dead and gone before eith game went into development. The Isyx, a console driven by multi-channel VHS playback, was developed by Hasbro at great expense. They pulled the plug on the project when they decided it was going to be too expensive at $300. We had a dev unit at Cinemaware with early versions of Sewer Shark, Night Trap, Make My video, and a few others. Most of them turned up later on CD-ROM systems like the Sega-CD and 3DO.

darkstar01

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Don't forget about the Sega Dreamcast actually one of the worst consoles out next the Xbox One which had always on and the inability to sell your used game discs when purchased at a store. Also both consoles disallowed users to trade discs so once used on a console they could no longer be used. PS4, and Nintendo both realized that the always on concept won't work till the world has wireless everywhere even in the Congo. Forcing players to go online once every few days is ridiculous, what if you have a console in your car? Van? Motor Home? I know Microsoft has repealed some of its previous statements and says they will be allowing disc trading and resales but time will tell. Microsoft has been known to do a lot of stupid stuff... example.. Windows 8... Honestly intended for a TOUCH screen, not for a DESKTOP. Microsoft should fire the people who came up with the Xbox One and Windows 8... or give customers a chance to kick those developers in the balls. I would buy an Xbox One if I could do that. It'd be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.