21 PC Games We'd Like To Receive This Holiday Season

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
No AC: Brotherhood? Really? I saw Duke Nukem in there, as well as the latest Star Wars tripe, not to mention so much overpriced "special" edition trash. Great list, REALLY!

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
if that dragon age 2 has the exact same graphical engine the previous title had then i am definitely not even remotely thinking of that game..... my idea of gameplay is not endless blah blah blah blah, or that miniscule map..

Fallout New Vegas (depsite bugs people originally experienced) is indeed a great and looong game.....

It is sad that games sell for such high prices and then offer 30-40 hours of gameplay........ even worse that those DLC are like 10-15 euros and you get 1-3 hours of gameplay..... PATHETIC....

This list needs to be updated as there are some really good games NOT on the list......

Divinity 2 The dragon Knight Saga ....... brilliant game
Two worlds 2 which is being remastered for Christmas....

stone-69

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
What I'd really love to see is MS Train Simulator II being released.
But sadly I doubt that MS is going to revive the project again.
So I guess it'll remain just a dream.

meradz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Here is a lazy list of what is mentioned in this article:
BioShock 2
Borderlands
Bulletstorm
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Crysis 2
Crysis 2 Limited Edition
DC Universe Online
Dead Space 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition
Dragon Age II
Duke Nukem Forever
Dungeon Siege III
Fallout: New Vegas
James Bond: Blood Stone
Medal of Honor
Portal 2
Civilization V
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

MadGabZ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Original Doom Collectors Ed. with some swedish deathmetal band re-recording the soundtrack - perhaps Meshuggah!
Should keep me entertained for a while... :p

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]stone-69[/nom]What I'd really love to see is MS Train Simulator II being released.But sadly I doubt that MS is going to revive the project again.So I guess it'll remain just a dream.[/citation]
Also I miss the old Microsoft Space Simulator (MS-DOS).They never made a sequel to that one.

marlinwalker

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Witcher 2 should be the rpg of the year 2011 if they continue their great storyline. Witcher 1 was was the best rpg I've played in years. You can pre-order it on gog.com now and get all the goodies and pay for it when it releases on may 11, 2011. Who else does that?

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
What's up with all these plastic toys they include in the collectibles? Do they think all of the gamers are 9 year old kids? Those collectibles aren't cheap either... Sure it's nice if they include artbooks and some unique stuff (the poker chips for Fallout NV was a nice touch tho) but dump all these silly plastic toys and replace it with some real collectibles, something that actually looks nice on a shelf back home.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cjmu[/nom]Black OPs MP = EPIC FAILSP isn't bad though.F1 2010 is good fun if that's your bag.[/citation]

Blur is a much better game than the f1 thing. And I assume after two horrible nfs releases, the next will be better too.

Don't go get the f1 game unless you're masochistic.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]mrpijey[/nom]What's up with all these plastic toys they include in the collectibles? Do they think all of the gamers are 9 year old kids? Those collectibles aren't cheap either... Sure it's nice if they include artbooks and some unique stuff (the poker chips for Fallout NV was a nice touch tho) but dump all these silly plastic toys and replace it with some real collectibles, something that actually looks nice on a shelf back home.[/citation]

I like those small toy things, and I'm 30! I do not like the pricing on most of the collectors ed's though.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]ehanger[/nom]All the shitty console ports with built in v-sync, fps caps, and mouse smoothing need to go. What could have been a great game is now totally fucked up due to these handicaps which make the mouse aiming feel slow and clunky. So far Valve is the only developer I've seen that is smart enough to not include these garbage features in their games.[/citation]

Isn't v-sync/"fps caps" the same thing? Also, from what I've seen v-sync is quite nice since it gets rid of that nasty tearing effect. And no, v-sync doesn't bomb out your FPS to a dramatic effect. Though smooth scrolling, from what I've seen, can simply be turned off. It's games like AvP 2010 that pretty much play the game for you (well you have to spam E) yet don't give you the choice that are terrible.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]Isn't v-sync/"fps caps" the same thing? Also, from what I've seen v-sync is quite nice since it gets rid of that nasty tearing effect. And no, v-sync doesn't bomb out your FPS to a dramatic effect. Though smooth scrolling, from what I've seen, can simply be turned off. It's games like AvP 2010 that pretty much play the game for you (well you have to spam E) yet don't give you the choice that are terrible.[/citation]

vsync isn't the same thing as a fps cap!
What it does is sync the frames to the refresh rate of the monitor. It works really well to conserve energy when you're using older software on new and powerful hardware. But if you've got 70fps in a game, and enable vsync on a 60hz monitor, you're at risk of seeing tearing or a stutter effect since you don't have the excess power to nessecarily allign each frame right.
Now a cap on the other hand is usually implemented by the game's engine. The actual cap depends on how a game works - how it counts time etc. In diablo 2 for instance, the game's internal cap was 25fps - that's because the engine calculates 25 'ticks' per second, and animations were built specificly for that. Thus running 200fps wouldn't make the game any more fluid. That's a cap.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Regarding the list, I think there are too many games listed that will not make holiday wishlists because of release dates. I can see somes holiday cards saying, "You'll get your gift in [insert number] months." :??:

Four different special editions for WoW:Cata? Blizzard's marketing is really trying hard to squeeze money out of subscribers :pfff: .
The "buddy" edition should have its own in-game perk like the "Recruit-a-Friend" mount. An extra $20 for a headset designed for the X-Box sounds questionable. The specs on the Trutle Beach X11 says you need to plug in 3 connections for it to work: audio out, mic in, and USB power. The Legendary edition is almost worth the cost because of the included 60-day gamecard ($30 value).

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Like some others, I'm looking forward to the new Mechwarrior game and Max Payne - but will believe them when I see them. In this crazy world, we're actually at the point where I believe DN4 is the more reliable title.

I'm in the camp that really likes Borderlands. I was very 'blah' on it at first, and am generally not into MP...but once I started playing it with friends, it got really, really fun.

Finally, this list actually gave me a Christmas idea. I would never pay for the collector's edition of Dead Space 2 (would have just bought the game on Steam) but my wife likes to get me things I wouldn't get for myself. I think it's a pretty cool set, so there we go, she can scratch me off the list for this year. :)

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]Mech Warrior!!![/citation]

Been there, love that. I still have all my MW2 to MW4 , mercs, etc at hand and do play them occasionally.
at least on the first few they tried to get the legends and story going.. plus they were FUN

zuke

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Putting games on the list that won't even be available by Christmas is pointless. I would've liked to have seen some other games that are out there that escaped my radar...

Bob Gossmann

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I haven't read all the comments here but in case no one has said it yet
Black Ops multi player sucks. Lag, Lag, lag. wait until you have heard it's been patched. But remember don't believe everything you hear. We were told this game would blow MW2 away. Bullshit!

Status
Not open for further replies.