[SOLVED] 230v eu certified? Using 50hz at 60hertz electricity?

Jul 24, 2020
Hi i just recently buyed a cougar psu.And it said that its 230v eu certified and 50hertz only.Now my question is what is the minimum/ maximum voltage for 230v eu certfied?. And at my country were using 60hertz is it safe to use 50hertz psu at 60hertz electricity?
😃

Solution
To be honest, if the PSU is designed for 50 Hz, it should be fine. Usually you can't use a 60 Hz part on 50 Hz mains because the impedance is too high.

You should really look at what the "frequency" of AC current means and then you'd understand where that might be an issue.
Most PSUs should be able to convert 100-250V and 45-65Hz without a problem. It's unlikely the PSU is that restrictive in the frequency, only 50Hz vs 60Hz. But I agree with @jonnyguru that it's not a good quality unit if you even have to ask this question. PSUs are the heart of your system. And spending good money on a high quality unit is a good idea. A high quality unit will last 10+ years, longer than the upgrade cycle of the rest of your system. Don't look at it as a upfront cost, it's an investment and insurance.

Reactions: CURIOSITY172
Most PSUs should be able to convert 100-250V and 45-65Hz without a problem.

That's just it. It's not a good PSU.

High voltage means low current. Lower current means cheaper parts can be used. It requires more robust components to be able to handle the higher currents of low voltages.

Essentially, a "230V Only" 600W PSU has the front end equivalent of a full range 300W.

Jul 24, 2020
That's just it. It's not a good PSU.

High voltage means low current. Lower current means cheaper parts can be used. It requires more robust components to be able to handle the higher currents of low voltages.

Essentially, a "230V Only" 600W PSU has the front end equivalent of a full range 300W.
Thank you for answering.But for now i need to use it as a temporary one because i need money too buy another one. But for now is it safe to use 230v and 50hz at 220v and 60hz electricity.?

Last edited:
To be honest, if the PSU is designed for 50 Hz, it should be fine. Usually you can't use a 60 Hz part on 50 Hz mains because the impedance is too high.

You should really look at what the "frequency" of AC current means and then you'd understand where that might be an issue.

Solution
Jul 24, 2020

Thank you verymuch for answering jonnyguru.Btw theres a st40f-es230 80+ psu here at the shop. It has 180minimum and 264 maximum and the frequency is 47hz-63hz. Is it much better to use this?
Im just using 1050ti low profile

Jul 24, 2020
Thank you verymuch for answering jonnyguru.Btw theres a st40f-es230 80+ psu here at the shop. It has 180minimum and 264 maximum and the frequency is 47hz-63hz. Is it much better to use this?
What do you prefer my friend? Cougar 230veu and 50hertz or the silverstone st40f-es230 180-264v and 47hz -63 hz?

It's still 230V only front end, which means it's still garbage. Just not as garbage as the Cougar.

Again:

Are you in a country where your voltage drops out below ~180V?

Some times people in India, Africa, South America, etc. have voltage fluctuations that cause the mains voltage to drop down to < 180V. A PSU like this cannot survive that. Sometimes people in these countries buy an AVR... which is snake oil because for as much as the AVR cost, they could have just bought a quality power supply for their PC!

Jul 24, 2020
It's still 230V only front end, which means it's still garbage. Just not as garbage as the Cougar.

Again:

Are you in a country where your voltage drops out below ~180V?

Some times people in India, Africa, South America, etc. have voltage fluctuations that cause the mains voltage to drop down to < 180V. A PSU like this cannot survive that. Sometimes people in these countries buy an AVR... which is snake oil because for as much as the AVR cost, they could have just bought a quality power supply for their PC!
(Philippines) At my country we have 220-240v. So its much better to buy an avr right?

(Philippines) At my country we have 220-240v. So its much better to buy an avr right?

No.. That's not... no.

Your country does have 220-240V. What I asked is HOW STABLE is that voltage???? Does it typically "brown out" and drop below 190V.

And no, an AVR is rarely better to buy when the cost of an AVR + cheap PSU is more expensive than just getting a good PSU without an AVR.

AVR's are band-aids for when you have a crappy garbage PSU. Good PSUs don't need them.

Jul 24, 2020
Brownouts and drop below 190v happen only when its raining/storming . But at the normal days no. We usually have 215-240v
Sometimes we reach 245v lol. So i really must use 220v avr right until i replace my psu(silverstone st 40f es23 400watts)?😃

Last edited: