24-carat PC Costs Up to $32,300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Really, you think?

Many of the "rich" dumb people got their money by screwing normal people over, or money from the family or oil company.... or they can play football. :)

[citation][nom]simplyderp[/nom]But, can it run Crysis?[/citation]

With an atom and an ion probably not. Well maybe with everything on low. For a 32k PC you'd think they would put a decent CPU and GPU in there. It's just a really expensive net top.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
For the person who has everything, a gold plated computer! 'bout like that solid gold toilet ;)

But seriously.... who would spend 32k on a not-so-fast computer that is solid (or plated) gold, when you could either buy a supercomputer, or even a whole render farm!

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
... and I bet it will BSOD like any other $500.00 generic PC.

I think this is rediculous. Completely excessivie.
I have had a few clients that want to spend a little extra (thousands) to clean up the look of a tower as their HTPC. I have NEVER been asked about making it look 'pretty,' as if it eminated from a jeweler. I have always been asked to make the computer disappear into the entertainment console: They don't want to see it or hear it. Just enjoy it.

nixname

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Hey now! As a Mac fanboi I take personal offense to Aoster's comment...You need more than just an over-priced computer to be as pretentious as me. For that you would need to have one of the best marketing teams in the world, a matching set of peripherals that are just as good as they are cliche, three operating systems, a coffee shop and probably a beret...

As for the ignorant part, well I will get back to you as soon as I find out what the word means...

ghe

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Hi, only to adjust the news...our design pcs comes with any configuration which is possible with mini-itx form factor. The pcs on our web site are only design examples and are available with Intel QuadCore or Core 2 Duo CPU too. People who purchase such pcs have another point of view. They see the pc not only as an technical thing but rather as aesthetic art. It's realy a boring discussion what a people can get for $32,000. What do you will purchase for $500,000? A very cool Lamborghini or a house for your family? I think it's up to you :)
By the way...the english version of our web site will go live in a few weeks...
Greetings to all from Germany
Gerd Gaiser
GAISER HIGH END

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]People who buy stuff like this... buy gold-plated condoms.[/citation]

haha!! With cubic zirconium and diamonds on the tip ( I mean the condoms)

[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]... and I bet it will BSOD like any other $500.00 generic PC.[/citation]

Who knows? Maybe, for sake of breaking the monotony, it will have gold themed BSODs. Or should I say GSODs

[citation][nom]ghe[/nom]Hi, only to adjust the news...our design pcs comes with any configuration which is possible with mini-itx form factor. The pcs on our web site are only design examples and are available with Intel QuadCore or Core 2 Duo CPU too. People who purchase such pcs have another point of view. They see the pc not only as an technical thing but rather as aesthetic art. It's realy a boring discussion what a people can get for $32,000. What do you will purchase for $500,000? A very cool Lamborghini or a house for your family? I think it's up to you By the way...the english version of our web site will go live in a few weeks...Greetings to all from GermanyGerd GaiserGAISER HIGH END[/citation]

Mr. Gaiser, i can see your point about seeing this kind of machine as aesthetic art. But remember, a proportional convergence must be reached between several areas: Technology, usability and art. First off, technology deals with a set of abilities that enables us to adapt the environment and make our lives easier and to satisfy needs. Along with technology converges usability, in terms of this specific machine...well it is an Atom. It is good to see the you posted a comment about variety (Core 2 Duo, 2 Quad....yeah think of i7). Also, I understand the target consumer on this, and they probably buy it because aesthetics, but among those consumer there are those who think about usability (along with aesthetic as previously told). Point is: build them with usability in the long term. I might be saying this because I'm not the target consumer fitted for this kind of devices ( and maybe for others around here that thinks these prices are way beyond...but I can't talk in name of others of course).

On the other hand I clearly understand several things: consumers that buy these PC will probably use it for visual eye candy, they might not use them. Moreover, the consumer that spends 32k on a machine can easily choose to upgrade its PC for a higher price tag without any complications. Finally, the target related to these fine PCs have different purposes, being art and beauty a top priority.

Still, Mr. Gaiser I congrats you for commenting here among the massive flaming.

nixname

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Also Mr. Gaiser, in this particular interest you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would say that anyone who comes to Tom's is interested in computers as technology. Your computer is a fashion statement, and while that is totally fine and I am sure you will find your market, you can understand that we are using a different rubric for product judgement than the people who troll the Gucci forums (if there is such a thing). Best of luck and keep on smiling.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]PLATTERMAN[/nom]People that would buy this pc wont even use it for anything other than ordering freak foods like those grass drinks, kelp, tofu, ... [/citation]
TOFU?! Man why be so rude and call tofu a freak food? It's so delicious and good for you! Excellent protein at a bargain price. Win-win. As for this 'computer', well, it's only gold, not platinum, so meh.

It's my be gold on the outside but the insides are LAME!
On that note my case sucks and looks bland, you wouldn't think it's a high performance PC under the hook.

Bottom line: Looks aren't everything... It's whats inside that matters.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]MrBradley[/nom]For 32 grand, I could build several Core i7 machines![/citation]

That is so not the point! With 32k$ you could do much more than build computers. But this is about a computer that's made for the rich that need the most extravagant looking things. They don't care what it is worth or what's in it, or how many Core i7's they can build with the same money.

And yes, watch out Apple, someone's after your market share! :)

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Lol... gold is a very malleable metal.

What is the purpose of 'flaunting' with these?
Most so-called 'precious' metals that Humanity values high I see as ordinary metals.

Besides, why would you want to use gold for computers?
Carbon nanotubes and Synthetic diamonds were viable for usage in electronic chips in 1992 and 1996.
We can produce both in abundance using least amount of energy and resources, with sustainability in mind, and instead, we use 'rare earth metals' (which are quite frankly outdated/inefficient for such a use) because its more profitable (using outdated methods of production).

This idiotic nonsense about 'valuing' 'sparkling' metals is an aberrant behavior that stems from skewed cultural values.

Humanity needs exposure to relevant general education. That could easily get rid of this type of nonsense in a short time-span.

Status
Not open for further replies.