[SOLVED] 240hz monitor only showing 85hz as an option

Dec 4, 2021
Hello, I recently bought a new monitor - Asus Tuf VG279QM, it says it can go up to 280hz at max overdrive however I am only limited to 240hz as I am using an HDMI cable, I have connected the monitor to my laptop (Asus ROG Strix Hero Edition GL503GE-ES52) and when I try to change the hz from the default of 60 to anything higher I am only given the option to go up to 85 or down, I tried the HDMI cable that came with the monitor and a new HDMI cable (Atevon 4K HDMI Cable 6ft) both of them display the same thing. My Nvidia Control panel preferred graphics card is on my gtx 1050 ti, however when I check the monitor details the display adapter is on my integrated graphics. I dont know what to do and have yet to find anything that works so far.

Solution
ah so should I go and buy a mini displayport cable? Im not sure which one would be compatible with my computer and monitor as well as provide above 120hz(I followed your tutorial and managed to add 120hz however slightly above 120 tells me that "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity") ... Do you have any recommendations? Thank you
Intel HD graphics is limited to 300 Mpx/s over HDMI so 120 Hz is the maximum limit at 1080p. DisplayPort is required for higher.

There are recommendations for DisplayPort cables in section 3.3.6, you need a DP to mDP cable.
Dec 4, 2021
Hello so ive gone ahead and bought a usbc to display port cable because my laptopd doesnt come with a displayport but now it says no signal, I suspect it might be because my laptop doesnt support thunderbolt 3, once again is there a way to change from inegrated graphics to my gpu?

Hello so ive gone ahead and bought a usbc to display port cable because my laptopd doesnt come with a displayport but now it says no signal, I suspect it might be because my laptop doesnt support thunderbolt 3, once again is there a way to change from inegrated graphics to my gpu?
Product page says your laptop has DisplayPort output (mini DP connector):

jqZR5Y3.png

USB-C adapters only work if the port has video output capability, which is an optional feature.

once again is there a way to change from inegrated graphics to my gpu?

Unfortunately no, it is decided by how the system is configured.

Dec 4, 2021
Product page says your laptop has DisplayPort output (mini DP connector):
ah so should I go and buy a mini displayport cable? Im not sure which one would be compatible with my computer and monitor as well as provide above 120hz(I followed your tutorial and managed to add 120hz however slightly above 120 tells me that "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity") ... Do you have any recommendations? Thank you

Intel HD graphics is limited to 300 Mpx/s over HDMI so 120 Hz is the maximum limit at 1080p. DisplayPort is required for higher.

There are recommendations for DisplayPort cables in section 3.3.6, you need a DP to mDP cable.

Solution