[SOLVED] 256m x64 and 512m x64 ?

Sep 23, 2021
So I'm trying to upgrade my ram..I've asked this question a couple times but no one is answering it right I don't think..so here's a better way to ask it I think...I'm buying 2 x 4gb ram..1 has a configuration of 256meg x 64 and the other has a configuration of 512 x 64.. crucial says both are compatible with my computer.from what I'm gathering that has to do with the amount of modules.256 will have twice the modules of 512.and I gather that they both equal the 8gb I'm trying to achieve..is there a difference in anything besides how it's configured on the stick of ram..is one ultimately better somehow?if one is will it even be noticeable..on crucial the 256meg is half the price of the 512meg 8gb of ram.is it simply bc making a stick with half the modules is half the price bc it's using half the material to make? Thank you very much.

Solution
that number doesnt mean how many modules are there, its a memory geometry
(memory density)
This is the total memory capacity of the chip. Example: 128 Mib.

(memory depth) × (memory width)
Memory depth is the memory density divided by memory width. Example: for a memory chip with 128 Mib capacity and 8-bit wide data bus, it can be specified as: 16 Meg × 8. Sometimes the "Mi" is dropped, as in 16×8.

to answer your question since you need to buy 8GB ram
with 256x64 you need 4 ram sticks
with 512x64 you need 2 ram sticks
to get 8GB of RAM

and it doesnt matter how many black squares are on ram stick (as long u buy compatible ram module)
that number doesnt mean how many modules are there, its a memory geometry
(memory density)
This is the total memory capacity of the chip. Example: 128 Mib.

(memory depth) × (memory width)
Memory depth is the memory density divided by memory width. Example: for a memory chip with 128 Mib capacity and 8-bit wide data bus, it can be specified as: 16 Meg × 8. Sometimes the "Mi" is dropped, as in 16×8.

to answer your question since you need to buy 8GB ram
with 256x64 you need 4 ram sticks
with 512x64 you need 2 ram sticks
to get 8GB of RAM

and it doesnt matter how many black squares are on ram stick (as long u buy compatible ram module)

Last edited:
Solution
So I'm trying to upgrade my ram..I've asked this question a couple times but no one is answering it right I don't think..so here's a better way to ask it I think...I'm buying 2 x 4gb ram..1 has a configuration of 256meg x 64 and the other has a configuration of 512 x 64.. crucial says both are compatible with my computer.from what I'm gathering that has to do with the amount of modules.256 will have twice the modules of 512.and I gather that they both equal the 8gb I'm trying to achieve..is there a difference in anything besides how it's configured on the stick of ram..is one ultimately better somehow?if one is will it even be noticeable..on crucial the 256meg is half the price of the 512meg 8gb of ram.is it simply bc making a stick with half the modules is half the price bc it's using half the material to make? Thank you very much.
I think you read it wrong you might want to go back and look at the crucial page again.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/optiplex-390-desktop