$26,000 PC???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Off topic but I got kicked out of Circut City for arguing with an incompetent salesman who was selling some woman bullshit about Vista and ATi. More on this later but I gotta go.

P.S. When does the Intel V8 system come out? Like for real.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
A salesperson had just picked up the last 8800GTX when some woman came by. She asked him if that card was the best because her son just installed Vista and wanted a DX10 card. (Keep in mind that the salesperson wanted this card). He said that no, the 8800GTX didn't support DX10 and that the X1950 Pro was the best card for Vista. Right then I went to Geek-Con 5 and proceeded to rattle off a mixture of statistics, benchmarks, and curse words at the guy. The manager then asked me to leave.

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
And I hope the employee got fired for such incompetance and trickery. What is up with people who work in the big box retail thinking they know so much about comptech.

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
What I would see making it more expensive would be something like, "5 years of unlimited, dedicated technical support 24/7/365" - any problem with the computer, ANYTHING, just call and they will make it happen. Something like that could easily add 5-10k to the price (having someone sitting in a office, next to a phone at 2 AM on Christmas Day) if you sold just a hundred or so computers.

But seems like a complex waste of parts. If I was going to burn that money, I would have a GAMING COMPUTER (with a 150 GB Raptor or two...or something) and then a server with a dozen TB of storage.

Putting it all in one box is like trying to cross a sports car with a SUV, you can never make it the same thing, just have two vehicles.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
But seems like a complex waste of parts. If I was going to burn that money, I would have a GAMING COMPUTER (with a 150 GB Raptor or two...or something) and then a server with a dozen TB of storage.
Raptor are only sata 1 sata 2 has things like NCQ that make it faster. also if you have the money use a hardware SAS setup.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Raptor are only sata 1 sata 2 has things like NCQ that make it faster. also if you have the money use a hardware SAS setup.

The Raptor X 150 is SATA II.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
And I hope the employee got fired for such incompetance and trickery. What is up with people who work in the big box retail thinking they know so much about comptech.

Arrggh don't remind me about the Office Depot retard that told customers Intel was better than AMD because the C2D was 2 Pentium Ds in the same chip...

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006

Arrggh don't remind me about the Office Depot retard that told customers Intel was better than AMD because the C2D was 2 Pentium Ds in the same chip...

No way! NO WAY! That is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. He needs to be banned from ever touching a computer again.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
There is no way that should have costed $26,000. I could put together a PC for MUCH less than that and it would kick that $26,000 PCs' overpriced ass. And what about cooling? That mother ****** must put out a decent amount of heat...

I love posts like this. So you have a complete list of the hardware and have already added it up? Did you also factor in the cost of 24/7 Support? And you're prepared to hop on a plane and fly to the customer's location (at your expense) with replacement parts (at your expense) when something breaks? Oh, and don't forget about that liability insurance premium since you're now responsible for their data.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
the blue ray moron
the blueray burners cost above 1,000 US :p
unless sony already did a cheaper version...

so super high end mobo = 400-500 US
2 x clovertowns ( 999-1400 us each one )
4 GB BUFFERED RAM (100-200 per each GB? )
1000Kw power and cooling ( over 400 US )
and the paint of 1,000 o_O

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
...did I mention anything about selling it?

Duh, if they weren't selling theirs, they wouldn't be charging themselves 26 large.Did you read the article? They are giving it away :roll: and I don't recall anything in there mentioning 24/7 support either.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006

Duh, if they weren't selling theirs, they wouldn't be charging themselves 26 large.Did you read the article? They are giving it away :roll: and I don't recall anything in there mentioning 24/7 support either.

Whoop Whoop!

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

Whoop Whoop!

Oh, busted! My apologies.

It would be interesting though if you would compile a list of the components you would use to "put together a PC for MUCH less than that and it would kick that $26,000 PCs' overpriced ass" since you did bring it up.

Lodi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Raptors X usually ship configured as SATA-1. they do, however, feature a jumper that enables the SATA-2 mode.

this is the documentation on the Jumper, from WD's site.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqi...405&amp

I don't see where that says you can get a Raptor to run at 3.0 Gb/s....I see that a 3.0Gb/s drive can be jumpered to run with boards that don't support that interface, but the Raptor specs seem to state that it has a max transfer rate of 1.5Gb/s....

Am I reading this incorrectly?

<Edited to correct spelling mistakes>