266 FSB AMD CPU

G

I'm planning on building a new system. Planning on getting the Epox 8KTA3 and maximizing it's potential with PC-133 Mhz memory. So this would mean that I will need to obtain an AMD Thunderbird with 266 Mhz FSB right? I read somewhere that the minimum speed for a Thuderbird to run @ 266 Mhz FSB is 1.0Ghz. I went to pricewatch to look for 1Ghz proccessor, but only find proccessor that states 200 Mhz FSB. Am I missing something here? Where can I get a 1 Ghz proccessor @ 266 Mhz FSB? Also if anyone out there has an Epox 8KTA3 board, let me know how it is. Thanx,

-sunshine

G

Hi,

From what I understand current FSB for Athlon/Duron is 100MHz (200MHz as it's a "double pumped" - as in like DDR i think - bus). These are type "B" processors. The not-yet-released type "C" CPUs will feature a 133MHz FSB (again doubled up to 266).

The CPU type is obtained from looking on the die:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q4/001030/athlon-06.html

HTH

<font color=blue>Moots</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And if you can't wait for the C type, then just take a B type and overclock the FSB while underclocking the multiplier to give you approximately the same speed CPU, but with the 133MHz FSB.

But if you don't want to mess with anything like that, then just wait for the officially released C type.

Which, in reality, is probably the very same thing anyway, but under waranty. :)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
I don't think anyone knows. Everyone seems to be waiting. They haven't even shown up in Pricewatch, which is odd since someone is usually pre-selling. A couple OEM's have them but that's about it (MicronPC & Alienware).

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I wonder if the C chips will actually be any different from an over-bussed under-multipliered B chip. I mean if they are actually properly specced at 133MHz, then in theory they should overclock even further than a chip specced at 100MHz. But will they?

We know such isn't the case with Intel chips because Intel likes using just one FAB setup and making minor variations to change the FSB and multiplier. (As well as disabling half of the cache for the Celerons.) But ultimately they're all the same chip, just with different labels and at different prices.

Will AMD do things any different? Or will they just be doing something that any schmuck with a pencil could do?

(And if the latter, I wonder just how many crooked OEMs will sell chips labeled as C that are just modified Bs...)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Cool. And thanks.
If the C overclocks further than the B, then I just might have to actually change my new dream system spec sheet. :)

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
I don't honestly know. I know they tried to get an approval yesterday for the full amount and it failed a fraud check (I don't spend that much on my cards). But I'm not sure if that was an attempt at establishing that I had the credit available (in which case they would just reverse the charge) or if that was going to be the final charge. I'll let you know as it progresses.

TRENDING THREADS