[SOLVED] 2666MHz RAM on 2400MHz motherboard

Jul 4, 2021
Hey, im thinking about buy new ram to my computer, but my motherboard says "support DDR4 2400 / 2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory " and the ram i am thinking of buying is 2666MHz, will it work on my computer? and if i get a ram that is buffered and has ECC will it work?

Motherboard: ASRock AB350M-HDV
CPU: Athlon 200GE

Solution
it depends on your CPU what memory it will support.
A-series support up to 2400MHz,
Ryzen supports up to 3200MHz.

there's a chance that an A-series will run 2666 and there's a chance that it will just default to 2400MHz speed.
there's also a chance that it won't boot at all or will suffer constant issues if it does.
it depends on your CPU what memory it will support.
A-series support up to 2400MHz,
Ryzen supports up to 3200MHz.

there's a chance that an A-series will run 2666 and there's a chance that it will just default to 2400MHz speed.
there's also a chance that it won't boot at all or will suffer constant issues if it does.

Solution
Hey, im thinking about buy new ram to my computer, but my motherboard says "support DDR4 2400 / 2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory " and the ram i am thinking of buying is 2666MHz, will it work on my computer? and if i get a ram that is buffered and has ECC will it work?

For your cpu you can go up to 2933.
The 2666 should work fine.
It is best to buy a 2 stick kit.
Ecc and buffered is server stuff it's not for your mobo.

Endre

Reputable

Please check the memory QVL list of your motherboard to see if the modules that you want to buy are on the list!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Supports DDR4 3200+ (OC) (Ryzen CPU) / 2400 (A-series APU)

That was at the time of release, which was for the cpus/APU's of that current gen. Whether that's a chipset limitation or a cpu/APU limitation is unknown as future gen cpus/APU's exceed those values.

The 2666MHz will work, but you'll not know the exact limits of whether it'll take 2666 speeds or be stuck at 2400MHz until after a bios update rewrites the ram data tables.