[SOLVED] 2700x not boosting max clock

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

O-steal

Prominent
Nov 7, 2019
Hello

Specs:
  • CPU: 2700x alll stock option
  • Cooler: stock wraith prism
  • PSU: focus + gold seasonic 650w
  • RAM: flare X 3200MHZ 2x8G CL14
  • Storage: nvme samsung evo 970 512G
  • MB: MSI Mortar B450M
  • BIOS 7B89v1B (same result with 7B89v1A , 7B89v19 , 7B89v18 and 7B89v17 )
Issue:
On any thread, the max clock speed ever attained is 4.2Ghz for a fraction of a second and this only happens when waiting idle on windows and all other cores are in “cool and quiet”state around 2.7GHz

On single thread tasks, I reach only 4.025 for more than 3 consecutive seconds

If I tried the integrated “game boost” mode from amd, the system crashes quickly

I want to RMA my cpu but the support says that this is expected

EDIT: People report temperature of 65C under full load with stock cooler. I have already 55C on idle and 85C on load (it thortells down to 3.8GHZ then).

Question for you
Would you say that my CPU is faulty? (Either because of boost and/or temps)

DATA

These are 10 min of logs of me:
  • Browsing for 7 min
  • Cinebench r20 single thread for 3 min
h6ySdWK.png

GkasVMq.png

Vxyt5jt.png

llWVN8c.png

lMol84b.png

Cinebench
CdmNKJE.png

Here are some logs from a whole pcmark10 run as requested by support (msi afterburner file format)
https://filebin.net/cv9x7zf464b2egee

Last edited:

O-steal

Prominent
Nov 7, 2019
Either way this isn't a power issue if hes hitting 85C (and 95C tCTL!!) under load. The system is throttling

Yes but it is not my main concern as it only happens when using ALL cores at the same time. I on my side just want a few cores around 4.25 or a songle reaching consistently 4.3 when browsing for example. During these use case, I am below 70C

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes but it is not my main concern as it only happens when using ALL cores at the same time. I on my side just want a few cores around 4.25 or a songle reaching consistently 4.3 when browsing for example. During these use case, I am below 70C
Super basic stuff like web browsing may not be intensive enough to get the CPU to fully boost.

What version of AMD chipset driver do you have installed?

Reactions: Rogue Leader

O-steal

Prominent
Nov 7, 2019
What version of AMD chipset driver do you have installed?
The issue is spread over months so I already went through many updates. Right now I have the latest one

since I tried to run Red dead 2 (without success to this day)

What he said. For this to be working correctly it should be hitting clocks and sustaining them under full load, or a burst load (not browsing).
That was a bad choice of word. I test single thread perf using PCMARK10, Cinebench single thread and cinebenchbenchr r20 single thread and assigning affinity only to the fastest of my core

O-steal

Prominent
Nov 7, 2019
BREAKING (Good or Bad) NEWS. I decided to see what was holding the CPU back and went to increase EDC over the supported specs of the Mortar B450m which is 168A. I went to 174A and indeed, I reached the boost clock of 4.3 even on 2 cores at the same time for some ms. So the thermals might be high, but where not holding anything back as I expected and tested yeasterday. So the question is now:

Is it normal that with stock settings of the MB even in PBO the CPU does not reach peak boost? (The customer support validated my RMA so I just want to make sure I am indeed not wasting their time)

Optional but still very curious:
  • What am I risking increasing the EDC above the MB max supported value?
  • I can't find any resource (just searched for 30 min but I am sure you guys have good links) explaining how High i can go with EDC without burning my MB

I think this is a good end for this thread. I will continue reading answers for sure as I want to take some times to take an informed decision on whether returning the CPU or instead just get a better cooler and risk burning my MB with high currents.

Thank you all for the great reactivity and support you have shown on my thread until know, this is truly helpful and I hope it'll help many others

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm not surprised you need to mess with settings to get 4.3 to work, take a look at drea.dreschler's earlier post where the same statement was made.

I'm not sure if there is a risk to running EDC that high.

I think you may just need a better cooler for this to be done.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What is max CPU and VRM temps when you run a stress test with these new settings?

Unfortunately I really can't say whether it's normal that you need to alter these settings to hit rated boost clocks.

Edit: If you look at the following review, they have Cinebench scores for both stock and OC'd (4.2 GHz) performance. The single threaded scores don't really change between the two, so that would seem to indicate the CPU was boosting to ~4.2 GHz on a single core by default. But it likely varies from one chip to another, it's possible that yours simply isn't the best quality :(
https://www.eteknix.com/msi-b450m-mortar-micro-atx-ryzen-motherboard-review/4/
https://www.eteknix.com/msi-b450m-mortar-micro-atx-ryzen-motherboard-review/5/

Last edited:
Reactions: O-steal

O-steal

Prominent
Nov 7, 2019
The result I got were apparently a bug in BIOS settings and the system would have not been stable at all (sometimes you can for example both set a multiplier and still have precision boost boosting up) I think this was the case because I increased the EDC further, with lower temps and haven't been able to get 4.3 again...

What is max CPU and VRM temps when you run a stress test with these new settings?
max 71C on all cores i don't have VRM temps

Last edited:

O-steal

Prominent
Nov 7, 2019
Conclusion: RMA'd the CPU , received a new one. The new one turbo to 4.3 with all by default. With default PBO of the mortar I reach 4.35 spikes on 2 cores. It was the CPU that was a little on the bad silicon side.

Status
Not open for further replies.