[SOLVED] 2700X running hot after opening case ?

DerpyJ

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Hey all,
This morning I opened up my case, as I had this nagging feeling that I hadn't plugged in my AIO (ID Cooling Auraflow 240) into the right headers when I installed it and the cpu around 8 months ago. I checked, and after unplugging and replugging the rgb and power cables to the cooler, all seemed fine. Except when I turned on my computer, I ended up idling at 50 degrees Celsius with fluctuations up to 61, while I usually run at 40-50. After changing fan curves a bit and trying GTA Online, I was steady at 80 degrees with max fan power. I believe I usually average around 70, but I have no idea what I did. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Solution
Full system's specs please. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the BIOS version for your motherboard and the version for you OS. Can you recall your temps prior to the fiddling? As a side note, might want to see if disconnecting from the wall and the monitor, then removing the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes, before replacing, changes your experience with temps.

Although this might sound silly to ask but did you tinker with your system while it was disconnected from the wall or was it powered up?

Lutfij

Titan
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the BIOS version for your motherboard and the version for you OS. Can you recall your temps prior to the fiddling? As a side note, might want to see if disconnecting from the wall and the monitor, then removing the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes, before replacing, changes your experience with temps.

Although this might sound silly to ask but did you tinker with your system while it was disconnected from the wall or was it powered up?

Solution

DerpyJ

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

CPU: r7 2700x
CPU cooler: ID Cooling Auraflow 240 (as exhaust)
Motherboard: MSI b450 Gaming Plus running version 7B86v1E
Ram: T-Force Vulcan 2x8 3200mHz ddr4
SSD: Sabrent Rocket 512 M.2, Western Digital 3TB 5400 RPM, Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070
PSU cant remember the brand, but 600w gold non-modular
Chasis: Fractal design Meshify C w/ 4 120mm fans (3 intake, 1 exhaust)

Prior temps were probably close to low 40's idling, and would max out at 75 during gaming. I'll try clearing the CMOS next time I get a chance. PC was disconnected from wall while tinkering, but plugged in and turned on a few times to test which fan header was connected to cpu cooler fans. Thanks for the help!