Question 27in LG UltraGear doesn't pick up HDMI or DP signals

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Hi, so recently I bought a 27in LG QHD 165Hz UltraGear monitor (27GP83B-B), and I can't get it to pick up a display signal from either display port or HDMI (having tried both it's HDMi inputs). All the monitor does it power on and display no signal :(

To run through my troubleshooting approach, when I realised this was an issue I tried both my original HDMI + DP cables that I've been using on both the new LG and my current ViewSonic, and I get picture fine on the ViewSonic. Tried the HDMI + DP cables supplied by LG in the box with the monitor, as before works on the VS but not the LG. Tried my PS4 via HDMI, again, works on VS but not LG.
Finally today I had the chance to take the monitor back to where I got it from, they can get it to display fine on both HDMI and DP.
Guy recommended maybe running DDU and installing fresh drivers, done that and nothing has changed, still only my VS accepting a video input.

Windows displace settings isn't detecting a secondary monitor and neither is the nVidia control panel.
For reference, I was running my 27in ViewSonic monitor alongsinde a 24in BenQ monitor and was having no issues at all, leant my BenQ to my fiance incase she had to work from home due to Covid so now I'm upgrading to a second 27in, but doesn't seem to be going to plan.

My PC setup currently uses an ASUS TUF 6GB RTX 2060 as a gpu.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated, really don't know what I should do at this point :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried with just that monitor attached, since you mention it won't pick up a secondary monitor.
Finally today I had the chance to take the monitor back to where I got it from, they can get it to display fine on both HDMI and DP.
At least you know it works, was this on a PC?
did they use the right power brick? I wonder if its the monitor not getting enough power or something odd.

so is the other monitor a 1440p as well?

Tried my PS4 via HDMI, again, works on VS but not LG.
its not the PC if its on 2 different devices?

I would be tempted to contact LG, something funny going on there. Could be connection is transient and only works sometimes.

Last edited:

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
have you tried with just that monitor attached, since you mention it won't pick up a secondary monitor.

I have not but I’ve needed to head out so I was planning on unplugging everything unnecessary and just plugging in the LG to see what happens.

At least you know it works, was this on a PC?
did they use the right power brick? I wonder if its the monitor not getting enough power or something odd.

It’s the powerbrick LG supplied though, would’ve thought it was fine :( worked for the place I bought it at

so is the other monitor a 1440p as well?

No the other monitor is 1080p, could this cause incompatibility?

Colif

Win 11 Master
its strange it worked at store if they used same power brick. I only asked about the brick as it was a possible factor. If they hadn't used it in store. I knew it used one as I have a https://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-32GK650F-B
I have not but I’ve needed to head out so I was planning on unplugging everything unnecessary and just plugging in the LG to see what happens.

good idea. what else is plugged into PC? Maybe its a power draw issue

but that doesn't explain the PS4. I know they work with 4k monitors as I used to plug a 4k monitor into my PS4 and play Journey. So 1440p wouldn't be a struggle for it.

what speed is monitor running at by default? could be the 165fps is too much for the 2060? could try 144. Maybe that explains PS4 as well. My 4k monitor was only 60fps

PC isn't even seeing monitor though so hard to set up Nvidia control panel to run at right speed.
might show up what speed its running in the monitor settings menu. On the monitor itself.
I would have thought it default to 60 until you ramped up speed. I had to change mine to 144.

i don't have 2 monitors, could be you need to have the 1440p 165hz monitor as main and the 1080p as 2nd.

if 2 different devices in your house don't get a signal... maybe its something odd like the power in house.

Last edited:

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
good idea. what else is plugged into PC? Maybe its a power draw issue

Just unplugged anything that wasn't my keyboard and mouse and plugged the monitor into its own power socket and not a powerboard.
Now I'm not sure if I should start unplugging stuff from the powerboard to see if that does anything.

what speed is monitor running at by default? could be the 165fps is too much for the 2060? could try 144. Maybe that explains PS4 as well. My 4k monitor was only 60fps

Since the monitor has its own menu I can bring it up and it does say that it's currently at 0Hz :(

I even restarted PC with only the LG on the DisplayPort, maybe I'll give it a go with the HDMI connected to see what happens while the other monitor remains unplugged, but really just pulling at straws at this point :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
obvious question: Sure you plugging it into Video card and not the outputs on motherboard?

thats odd, I would have thought monitor run at 60 even without a PC attached. I don't know that much about displays though so it could be normal.

I will see if anyone else has any smart ideas as I don't know what difference between running at shop and home would be.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is hdmi compatibility mode on or off?

[HDMI Compatibility Mode]
- If the connected device does not support [HDMI Compatibility Mode], the screen or sound may not work
properly.
  • When HDMI Compatibility Mode is on, 2560 x 1440 @ 100/120/144 Hz resolution is not supported.
  • Some older graphics cards do not support HDMI 2.0,but you can select HDMI 2.0 resolution in the control
panel of window.
This may cause the screen to appear abnormally.
from manual for monitor

GPU is HDMI 2.1

wouldn't have any effect on DP though, I don't think.

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Thanks for all your help so far :( I tried to power it on and plug my nintendo switch into it at a different part of the house and still no luck, but then I googled it and seems the older switch dock may only support up to HDMI 1.4 so not sure if that would be an issue.

Honestly at this point just need to wait until I can see a friend to try it on their computer and if it works get pictures so I can sell the damn thing, so frustrating :(

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Have spoken to LG, they were pretty awful to deal with and basically got told to contact this place closest to me that are authorised service people of LG and organise a time to take it to them... Might email the store support again and see what they say.

SystmOveRide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Alright so no idea what happened but the monitor now works 🤷‍♂️ All I thought to myself was maybe I'll try the LG display port cable included in the box again and this time it did something!