2nd A7N8X-E that I can't get the A1 or A2 DIMM slots to work

Memory that works great in the DIMM B slot, won't work in
either DIMM A slot.

At first I thought it could be how the board is installed, but even
with the board out of the case I get the same problem.

I ordered and received a new board from Newegg and it is having
the same problem. (Which means I probably have a spare good
A7N8X-E Deluxe)

The 3.3v rail wasn't as stable as I would like so a replaced a
Antec True430 with a TruePower 550, didn't help the memory
slot problem.

This is becoming a depilitating experience. Has anyone run
across a problem with some memory slots not working, and
found a possible fix? Google searching, I haven't found this
as a problem for the A7N8X-E boards, on net or group
search.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Luck;
Ken

Paul

Splendid

In article <40c603f2$0$34750$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Memory that works great in the DIMM B slot, won't work in
> either DIMM A slot.
>
> At first I thought it could be how the board is installed, but even
> with the board out of the case I get the same problem.
>
> I ordered and received a new board from Newegg and it is having
> the same problem. (Which means I probably have a spare good
> A7N8X-E Deluxe)
>
> The 3.3v rail wasn't as stable as I would like so a replaced a
> Antec True430 with a TruePower 550, didn't help the memory
> slot problem.
>
> This is becoming a depilitating experience. Has anyone run
> across a problem with some memory slots not working, and
> found a possible fix? Google searching, I haven't found this
> as a problem for the A7N8X-E boards, on net or group
> search.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Have you tried the cardboard test ? Assemble the system
with an insulator underneath the motherboard. See if it
works outside your case. (On my recent build, I tested
everything, before the system was assembled in its
case.)

The dual channel Nforce2 chips are supposed to have
three address busses and two data busses for memory.
Your symptoms suggest there is something wrong with
a data bus, or something is shorting a data bus track.

Does the memory have ECC ? Would the memory brand/
part number be something we would recognize ? Anything
unique about the memory ?

HTH,
Paul

> In article <40c603f2$0$34750$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>, "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Memory that works great in the DIMM B slot, won't work in
> > either DIMM A slot.
> >
> > At first I thought it could be how the board is installed, but even
> > with the board out of the case I get the same problem.
> >
> > I ordered and received a new board from Newegg and it is having
> > the same problem. (Which means I probably have a spare good
> > A7N8X-E Deluxe)
> >
> > The 3.3v rail wasn't as stable as I would like so a replaced a
> > Antec True430 with a TruePower 550, didn't help the memory
> > slot problem.
> >
> > This is becoming a depilitating experience. Has anyone run
> > across a problem with some memory slots not working, and
> > found a possible fix? Google searching, I haven't found this
> > as a problem for the A7N8X-E boards, on net or group
> > search.
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > Luck;
> > Ken
>
> Have you tried the cardboard test ? Assemble the system
> with an insulator underneath the motherboard. See if it
> works outside your case. (On my recent build, I tested
> everything, before the system was assembled in its
> case.)

I did try that early on but can't remember if I did with
this latest board, so I'll give it another try. It would
seem to be the most logical source for this problem.

> The dual channel Nforce2 chips are supposed to have
> three address busses and two data busses for memory.
> Your symptoms suggest there is something wrong with
> a data bus, or something is shorting a data bus track.

That's the way I've been looking at it too, but other than
something common in the way I have the boards installed,
I can't see how two boards would both have such an
uncommon problem. (I don't think my Karma is that bad)

> Does the memory have ECC ? Would the memory brand/
> part number be something we would recognize ? Anything
> unique about the memory ?

The stick that is in it now as I type is a OCZ PC3200
PN: OCZ400512R2. This won't count up on post if
it is in either DIMM A slot. I've tried Crucial
CT6464Z40B.8T2 and others with the same results.

> HTH,
> Paul

I would suspect memory.
Did you try a different brand, or at least a different one?
just a thought! :)
later,
dave

"dave AKA vwdoc1" <NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote in message
> I would suspect memory.
> Did you try a different brand, or at least a different one?
> just a thought! :)
> later,
> dave

Tried various Crucial and OCZ sticks and they all work
in the B DIMM slot but not in any A DIMM slot.

Thanks anyway,
Ken

Paul

Splendid

In article <40c67e87$0$34753$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > In article <40c603f2$0$34750$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>, "Ken Maltby"
> > <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Memory that works great in the DIMM B slot, won't work in
> > > either DIMM A slot.
> > >
> > > At first I thought it could be how the board is installed, but even
> > > with the board out of the case I get the same problem.
> > >
> > > I ordered and received a new board from Newegg and it is having
> > > the same problem. (Which means I probably have a spare good
> > > A7N8X-E Deluxe)
> > >
> > > The 3.3v rail wasn't as stable as I would like so a replaced a
> > > Antec True430 with a TruePower 550, didn't help the memory
> > > slot problem.
> > >
> > > This is becoming a depilitating experience. Has anyone run
> > > across a problem with some memory slots not working, and
> > > found a possible fix? Google searching, I haven't found this
> > > as a problem for the A7N8X-E boards, on net or group
> > > search.
> > >
> > > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Luck;
> > > Ken
> >
> > Have you tried the cardboard test ? Assemble the system
> > with an insulator underneath the motherboard. See if it
> > works outside your case. (On my recent build, I tested
> > everything, before the system was assembled in its
> > case.)
> >
> I did try that early on but can't remember if I did with
> this latest board, so I'll give it another try. It would
> seem to be the most logical source for this problem.
>

> > The dual channel Nforce2 chips are supposed to have
> > three address busses and two data busses for memory.
> > Your symptoms suggest there is something wrong with
> > a data bus, or something is shorting a data bus track.
>
> That's the way I've been looking at it too, but other than
> something common in the way I have the boards installed,
> I can't see how two boards would both have such an
> uncommon problem. (I don't think my Karma is that bad)
>

> > Does the memory have ECC ? Would the memory brand/
> > part number be something we would recognize ? Anything
> > unique about the memory ?
>
> The stick that is in it now as I type is a OCZ PC3200
> PN: OCZ400512R2. This won't count up on post if
> it is in either DIMM A slot. I've tried Crucial
> CT6464Z40B.8T2 and others with the same results.
>

> > HTH,
> > Paul

Can you drop CPU/Memory bus speeds temporarily, to see if
you can get some response from the slot ? Are you running
CPU and Memory bus at the same speed ?

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41619&highlight=a7n8xe+dimm+slot

You could also try bumping "DDR Reference Voltage".
On some Asus boards, even though multiple settings are shown,
the actually hardware only has two voltage levels it runs at.
I would try 2.8V, to make sure the higher setting is being
used.

Other than that, I cannot see much choice but to RMA again.

HTH,
Paul

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:40:54 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"dave AKA vwdoc1" <NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote in message
>> I would suspect memory.
>> Did you try a different brand, or at least a different one?
>> just a thought! :)
>> later,
>> dave
>>

> Tried various Crucial and OCZ sticks and they all work
>in the B DIMM slot but not in any A DIMM slot.

Works great here (and I'm using all three) and I have two names I
can't recognize and PNC from CompUSA. It's either the mobos you are
getting or perhaps those sticks in particular might have been/gone bad
from being in the same place? BIOS update perhaps?