Question 2nd (old desktop) HDD installed on new desktop apparently initialized when booting new desktop

Jul 19, 2024
Long story short. Son an IT guy build a new desktop for me. He has zero time and gave some suggestions - not a HDD expert.
The HDD is 1 TB. Have made a copy. But it has NOT been written on as partition was initialized and using one tool have made the partition now Logical vs. boot-up.

So quite a few tools recommended elsewhere. Final result is using Wondershare Recoverit, found the undeleted files that somehow won't show up in ALL of these applications - recuva, diskdrill, & testdisk.

I don't know how much Recoverit would charge, all I know is that they say 100MB is free but I found no way to extract a few files and "recover it" (pun intended) without a paywall.

I did a smart report using CrystalDisk and TestDisc and there are now issues with the disk. The partition was initially a boot-up but now have as logical since connected to a new desktop.

Any suggestions for freeware and/or a reasonable cost software/app that can recover these undeleted files and not make me also recover all the deleted files from a previous use of the HDD (son) which is voluminous games/files/movies, etc. (like 700GB)

** added edit 30 min. later due to post below ** The 700GB is NOT of interest - all deleted files. Probably a few GB or less was Adobe Photoshop work (many hours), and logo revisions, etc. of UN-deleted files that most disk recovery software apparently cannot see/find. I did have a back-up but it was 30 days prior and sadly (i.e. you dummy!) did not just before installing into new desktop.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Long story short. Son an IT guy build a new desktop for me. He has zero time and gave some suggestions - not a HDD expert.
The HDD is 1 TB. Have made a copy. But it has NOT been written on as partition was initialized and using one tool have made the partition now Logical vs. boot-up.

So quite a few tools recommended elsewhere. Final result is using Wondershare Recoverit, found the undeleted files that somehow won't show up in ALL of these applications - recuva, diskdrill, & testdisk.

I don't know how much Recoverit would charge, all I know is that they say 100MB is free but I found no way to extract a few files and "recover it" (pun intended) without a paywall.

I did a smart report using CrystalDisk and TestDisc and there are now issues with the disk. The partition was initially a boot-up but now have as logical since connected to a new desktop.

Any suggestions for freeware and/or a reasonable cost software/app that can recover these undeleted files and not make me also recover all the deleted files from a previous use of the HDD (son) which is voluminous games/files/movies, etc. (like 700GB)

Thanks.
Always backup your data. 700GB is a lot..

Jul 19, 2024
My data was backed up. sorry confusing.

The undeleted files are just a few GB if that. I worked on some files for work (artwork, logo, etc. plus documents) and don't want to have to replicate and unfortunately just did not think adding the HDD to the new desktop was an issues on the very first boot-up got some question like initialize or continue boot-up and did not think it was addressing the 2nd HDD

The 700GB is the DELETED files that I care nothing about.

Jul 19, 2024
Again. not posting well. I had backed up date about 30 days earlier but did NOT with about 30 days of changes/updates/new files prior to placing in new desktop. So no back-up of the new stuff.

Jul 19, 2024
As above used a variety of paid and free apps to try and get undeleted but not back-uped on the 30 day prior full back-up. Lot of work. it initialized (i think) at boot up of the new desktop as I had placed the old HDD from the old desktop as a SATA 2nd drive. I remember a question on boot-up and assume it said initialize the 2nd HDD but really cannot recall. Have done zip zero nada USAF (Navy retired aviator) except to use tools to find the NOT deleted but unfindable data. Recommended elsewhere the drive is now viewable and works but it just shows an empty 1TB drive with no data. The huge amount of data recovered is all previously deleted by son who used that HDD. I only had several GB of data.. never deleted just partitioned i guess where could not be found. Recoverit is the only app so far that shows the undeleted files the rest say that they will find but it's BS, all they show is deleted files.

USAFRet

Titan
Try Autopsy

You will need some other drive to (maybe) recover to.

Again, a screencap of the current Disk Management window would help.

Jul 19, 2024
It appears that you can only post a pic from a URL. I do not have any public URL to do so.
The testdisk and crystal disk all show no errors. a clean 1TB drive. like virgin. (sadly). Have got some meetings so will need to do this later. but will check out autopsy... love the name anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
It appears that you can only post a pic from a URL. I do not have any public URL to do so.
The testdisk and crystal disk all show no errors. a clean 1TB drive. like virgin. (sadly). Have got some meetings so will need to do this later. but will check out autopsy... love the name anyway.
Upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here.