2nd rate components

alladinsane

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
Hey all,

I have heard that manufacturors sell parts that do not completely make it through quality control (i.e., the parts work but do not pass extensive testing). Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, can anyone paste links talking about this? Also, if true, how does one know if one is getting such a part?

Thanks

endyen

Splendid
And the 865s were 875 chips, that didn't quite cut it.
Most processors get binned according to how good they are. It's not like any that are sold are not good enough, just some are better.
A company would never fail a product and then sell it. OTOH they may apply lower standards to lower valued parts.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Usually processors that fail quality controll are slowed down until they pass, or failed if they don't pass at the slowest speed. RAM however is sold in "grades"

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hey, don't forget the flip side. Sometimes they sell excellent chips as slower ones. My old XP1700+ would do 2.25Ghz at 1.55V, that's a 780Mhz increase from stock speed, with a fairly bad cooler. Also only needs 1.4V to run at 2Ghz. All for £35 3 years ago or so - not bad eh?

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."