[SOLVED] 2Tb SSD any good for gaming drive C:\

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Just bought myself an SSD upgrade, coming from an SSD.

The thing is the one I had before was only 500Gb, and now I got one that is 2Tb. ( Its going to be C:\Drive)

Just wondering if this was a good idea, just upping the size but, staying on the same technology level.

The only thing I really needed was more space not more speed.

Solution

The thing is the one I had before was only 500Gb, and now I got one that is 2Tb. ( Its going to be C:\Drive)

Just wondering if this was a good idea, just upping the size but, staying on the same technology level.

Use them both. Keep the 500 for C: and move games to D: on the 2TB.

kanewolf

Titan

Use them both. Keep the 500 for C: and move games to D: on the 2TB.

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I mean assuming it's not a laptop with one drive bay yeah, just add the 2TB drive as a second drive and start using it right away.

You can move your Steam folder there, plus any other game launchers you might have such as Battle.net or Origin or whatever. They all let you relocate your game folders to a different drive. Not much point reinstalling if it's the same speed as the 500GB.

Plus Windows will appreciate having all that free space on a 500GB drive once you move your games off it.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Oh, right keep the 500Gb ssd is not an option sold it to my dad's pc, i'm stuck with only the 2Tb for drive C:\... but so far so good, here's hoping windows doesn't screw up with this much games sharing a drive with the OS installation.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
here's hoping windows doesn't screw up with this much games sharing a drive with the OS installation.

It absolutely won't. The only thing to keep an eye on is make sure you don't fill the entire drive.

If it was me, I'd partition the 2TB drive into two drives: 200GB C:\ for Windows and apps only, and all the rest of the space on D:\

You don't have to do that at all really, Windows will work just fine with one big drive, but having it split into two just makes it easier to keep at least 50GB free on C:\ at all times, since you can just avoid using it entirely and put everything on D:\ instead.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
If it was me, I'd partition the 2TB drive into two drives: 200GB C:\ for Windows and apps only, and all the rest of the space on D:\

Sound like a great plan, if this (having everything games installed, plus windows on one partition ever fails for some reason I will format and make it the way you suggested)

Sometimes it's good to start new, with gameplay for instance.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Well in the lookback, a 2tb ssd for c:\drive seemed like a good idea, but then I opted for a 1Tb NVMe C:\drive instead and recently added another 2Tb NVMe as D:\drive.

Seems better for now to have installed games on more then one drive, as long as they are SSD or NVMe, one can really appreciate the speed when working with large games and moving and reinstalling becomes a breeze.

I opted for another NVMe, not just because my motherboard supported such a configuration, but because my sata slots where already filled.