Question 3.1 Soundbar vs. 2.1 Soundbar

indianking

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
So I recently got a great deal on a few soundbars and wanted to get your opinions. I purchased two soundbars:
There aren't too many reviews on the SKM6Y (I believe it is the same as the SK6Y), so I wasn't sure which one I should get. When I researching both sound bars, I believe they both support DTS:X and Dolby Digital. My understanding is the following, but I could be wrong! I will be upgrading to a 4k TV hopefully within the upcoming year, so I wanted to be sure both could support 4k audio, but I didn't know if there was a specific term to look for.
  • LG 2.1
    • Sub: 200W
    • Speaker: 2 x 80W
  • Samsung 3.1
    • Sub: 160W
    • Speaker: 6 x 30W
I'm completely new to home theater audio, so please bare with me. I know the center channel is used for dialogue, which makes me think the Samsung would be a better choice. But I don't know! Let me know your thoughts or if there is a website I should be looking at for reviews.

Thank you!

indianking

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
sub $100 for a SB with sub? Sounds like Walmart. :( Just read the Amazon reviews dude. Ya, 3.1 is better than 2.1 I guess.

Absolutely right about Walmart, but it does normally go for $200 :). There was a crazy clearance sale that I happened to find!

Both are relatively highly rated on Amazon (3.8 vs 3.9), but I just wasn't sure if there are specific factors I should be looking for.