3,5" Hard Drive Doesn't Recognized Externally

JeRxclusive

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB hard drive. When I plug it internally to my desktop which runs Windows 7 x64 it works without any problem. Last week I decided to use this drive externally so I bought a docking station. I'm using this dock with my Samsung 1TB hard drive and they are working smoothly. So Docking station is not the problem. But when I use the docking station with the Seagate 1.5TB hard drive Drive sounds like its working but Windows 7 doesn't recognise. It’s acting like I didn’t plug the USB cable. Doesn’t shows anything in Bios or Disk Management. So I plug it to a Mac the result was the same. This station supports up to 6TB so I don't think the size of the drive is the problem.

So what could be the problem?

puttynene

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Right click on my computer
Choose MANAGE
Then find DISK MANAGEMENT
You should see your ext hard drive under the list.
Right click on it, and choose CHANGE DRIVE LETTER
Choose anything, but I recommand something higher than M:

Hi there JeRxclusive,

The fact that the drive is not operating properly on another system, sort of rules out a driver related issue.

I think that you need to attach a different bigger drive than the one that you've tried(1 TB one).
Can you hear the HDD spinning up?

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

JeRxclusive

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

Thank you for replying

Unfortunately I don't have a drive bigger than that and I can hear the HDD spinning up.

JeRxclusive

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

Thank you for replying

Like I said when I plug the drive externally Disk Management doesn't show it. But I connected the drive internally and delete the letter then tried it externally same result. And I tried again with Letter R: and connect it externally and again it didn't show up in Disk Management.

Given the fact that the HDD operates just fine when attached internally, my guess would be that the issue has something to do with the docking station(drive is not even recognized by BIOS). As you don't have another bigger drive, I guess SATA to USB adapter with a power source should do as well.

D_Know_WD

JeRxclusive

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

Well I don't have a SATA to USB adapter so I guess I need to take the docking station to the service. I was kinda hoping that I could avoid that trip...