Question 3.5 Inch IDE from motherboard to USB hub output ?

Jun 18, 2024
Hello guys , i have 2 old CNC machines , that have floppy disk outputs(bays),and i want to have usb outputs to them , the question is , is there any way i can find an adapter or something that can connects from the 34 pin IDE pata or how it`s called from my motherboard to an output usb(mother) hub ? Thanks for the answers.

is there any way i can find an adapter or something that can connects from the 34 pin IDE pata or how it`s called from my motherboard to an output usb(mother) hub ?
No.

For additional front panel USB ports, you can install this device,
(if your motherboard has free USB 2.0 headers)
61JSLFsiLHL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Or you can install additional PCI or PCIE USB controller
(depending on available PCI or PCIE slots on motherboard).

Reactions: Eximo

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That makes more sense. If the goal is run the machines without floppies.

If the goal is get USB ports for a complete alternative input system, than that first advice is better.

I think the confusing part is asking for outputs.

Reactions: stonecarver
That makes more sense. If the goal is run the machines without floppies.

If the goal is get USB ports for a complete alternative input system, than that first advice is better.

I think the confusing part is asking for outputs.
The problem is, this is a CNC machine not a PC, a CNC machine old enough to have floppy does not have usb headers on the machines main board. This is why he is wanting to use the 34 pin IDE ribbon cable and convert it to a usb.

Another thing, we have two Haas's at our shop, a VF6 and VF9 built around 2011. Their main board does have USB headers on it and comes standard with one active. You have to pay Haas to activate the second usb header...insert facepalm.... Their machines actually come with every option available on them, you just have to pay Haas to unlock them. And as a side note each machine has their own set of unique codes for each option to unlock, so the code that unlocks the 2nd usb on the VF6 will not unlock it on the VF9.

but even then there would be pc inside, just not typical x86 ibm compatible desktop
does it have isa/pci or is it fully proprietary connectors?

othwise there are floppy emulators, acts as floppy drive, but instead of floppy discs you have usb stick with floppy images

What we need is the OP to tell us what CNC machine he is using and the age of it.

Up until the mid 2000's CNC did not have computers in them, and to this day most still dont. Fanuc is one of the leaders in CNC controls and they are now installing windows onto their cards and allowing the Manufactures to install their software ontop of that.

CNC's dont move as fast as computer tech, I probably didnt see the first USB on a CNC till early/mid 2000's and that was in the higher end CNC's. Most CNC programs are KB's with the largest ive seen an MB, so you dont need a fast connection to load a file. For the most part had computers not got rid of the serial DB9 port transferring DB9 to DB25 would be fine.

Its now easier to have CNC's with network and point the machine to a folder on the server that you can pull the program from.