Question 3 questions on 34 inch WQHD 3440x1440 curved monitors.

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Hi.

I wonder if anyone could help with these questions please.

I currently own a cheap, but pretty good, "AOC Q3279VWFD8 - 32 Inch QHD Monitor, 75Hz, 5ms,"

But am looking to upgrade, having recently had new hardware 4080, i9 13900k etc.

I didn't really want to go 4k

But wondered.
Would I see a notable resolution jump in a 34" 3440x1440 monitor. Or would it be pretty much the same as I have now, just wider?

How high are the screens on a 3440x1440 monitor, I don't mean from the desk, I mean the actual screen vertical height in cm's.
Something like this .
for example.

Or this,
for example.

Is it worth getting one of this type of monitor, with the shape of it, are many games supported?
Or when using photoshop, and Blender, does it use the whole screen giving more docking space etc, Or does it tend to
put the program into the center of the workspace, and leave large letterbox gaps either side?

Last point .
If these are nice, and practical monitors, and its worth me upgrading, can anyone recommend a good one to go for.

Thank you for any help, and any or all of the se questions.

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
To answer your first question no, you will not see a bump in resolution. Despite the panel having more pixels than a standard 2560x1440 screen, the panel itself is physically larger, meaning the actual PPI (pixels per inch) will be roughly the same. You are right to skip going 4K. Even with an unlimited budget it would be difficult to justify gaming at 4K resolution.

If you are referring to the actual height of the display, they will be similar to your current monitor, because the pixel density is identical. Despite this, however, 34" monitors are significantly more bulky and appear much taller simply because of the extra width.

With the programs I use, going fullscreen will utilize the entirety of the display. You will not get any black bars or strange scaling. For video games, it's more of a case by case basis. Most games I play run at ultra wide with no problem, but some older titles do not like the extra width. In those cases, you many have to lower the resolution to 2560x1440, or play in a window. 90% of the time the extra screen real-estate is a non-issue for day-to-day usage.

The Gigabyte M34WQ is a solid choice if you are on a budget, and ticks most of the boxes. The blacks are washed out and come nowhere close to an ultra-wide OLED monitor, but for 400 dollars it's a decent pick nonetheless. If you can afford to spend a little more, the Alienware AW3423DW is outstanding. It's QD-OLED for fantastic colors and perfect blacks, 175Hz and has extremely low input lag. Hope this helps, take care.

Reactions: Daynhg
Would I see a notable resolution jump in a 34" 3440x1440 monitor
from what?
you don't mention the current resolution of your AOC.

a 2160x1440 or 3440x1440 monitor are still considered a 2K resolution display.
the aspect ratios are different though.
the first being 16:9 and the second being 21:9.
so no, there will not be difference.
How high are the screens on a 3440x1440 monitor, I don't mean from the desk
depends on the make & model.
some may have a bulkier or thicker casing around the screen or extravagant "gaming" design with added flare.
you can find any particular model's specs on it's manufacturer's product site.
Is it worth getting one of this type of monitor, with the shape of it, are many games supported?
i've been using my Alienware AW3420DW for a couple years and haven't found anything that hasn't supported the 21:9 aspect ratio.
i currently have 100+ games installed and all of them run 3440x1440 with no issue whatsoever.

i'd say it's definitely worth it if you're into PC gaming.
the width and a slight curve can make many games much more immersive filling a larger percentage of the peripheral vision.
i also have a 55" 4K HDR 120Hz tv connected to the same system and i prefer playing games on the ultra-wide monitor much more.

Last edited:

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

turtletarget111 and JohnBonhamsGhost

Thank you guys, you were both a huge help.

So the screen height is about the same as my existing that's good to know.
I had an idea it wouldn't be a huge jump, Sorry my existing is 2k, and for me I find it enough.
Also good to know that 4k isn't a "must have."

And that there is no issues with gaming. Especially newer games.

Both of you recommend, and have Alienware. I'm not sure I want to spend a thousand pounds on a monitor.
The other one the MSI looked great but its flat, and I really wanted a curved. But I thank you for the recommendation.

But you both have raised a very valid, and helpful point. "Well loads of helpful points."
But I will do some searching for an OLED monitor, see if I can search for one a bit cheaper than the Alienware.
Not as good as an Alienware monitor, but the best I can find, without the name.

And thankyou for putting in.
"90% of the time the extra screen real-estate is a non-issue for day-to-day usage."
Great to know, for surfing and other programs. (y)

And also,
"I'd say it's definitely worth it if you're into PC gaming.
the width and a slight curve can make many games much more immersive filling a larger percentage of the peripheral vision."

Really sells it for gaming. (y)

Thank you both again, this really helped me to make a decision, knowing it will be a different experience to what I have now.

PS. reposted, as I hadn't spell checked it. 😊

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Thank you so much turtletarget111
For the recommendation.

That looks like a seriously nice monitor.
Unfortunately over here, its even more expensive than the Alienware.
You guys across the pond get it so good.

I have been looking, saw these.

And this one, but it has speakers. Which I wouldn't use.

And this..

Not sure,

The Oled, and the mini led ones are all up there around the same price as the Alienware. If not way more.

So the search continues.
The current cheapo AOC 31" 2k I have now, has been incredible for the price,
Nothing like the super monitors, but still not bad.

Its just finding one that is the best for what I want to pay.

I really appreciate the help. (y)

The current cheapo AOC 31" 2k I have now, has been incredible for the price
AOC actually makes some very nice models.

they may not have the public fan-base that Samsung or Dell/Alienware does but they have made some super high quality options over the years.

the U34G3X is one of those currently available but with something this wide i would always rather have a slight curve.
so the CU34G2X may be a better option, if you can stand a VA panel.

when searching for a new display I always recommend going to local electronics and computer stores and checking out what's on display there on the floor.
some models may report awesome specs but in person just don't have as nice of a picture.
you will be able to get a better idea of what exactly you're looking for and which brands offer something more to your taste.

Last edited:

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Hi JohnBonhamsGhost
Once again great advice.
Which opened up a question.
What you said about AOC, from having this monitor, I would fully agree with.
So to the question. And I honestly have no idea here. So the wording below, is a genuine question.
And the monitor you linked.
On Amazon UK. ⤵
As you say is a VA panel.

And after you saying "if you can stand a VA panel" I looked at my existing monitor. ⤵
Which is an IPS.

I then did a real quick search on "Is VA panel better than IPS?"
And the google result was this.

Here's the final takeaway: IPS panels are significantly better than VA panels when it comes to viewing angle and somewhat better than VA panels when it comes to color. VA panels, however, almost always offer deeper black levels and better overall contrast.

So, they say IPS is better for viewing angles and colour. But the VA for blacks.
But as my existing monitor is, IMHO a really good monitor, with great colours, and the blacks are black enough for me.

The other two monitors I was looking at were.
This one is a VA screen. ⤵
Which before your post I was leaning towards, not having any clue about VA, or IPS.

And this one. Which (again) has speakers, that I would not use, as I plan buying a new speaker system, between speakers, and a sub.
Or a soundbar, and sub. But that is a whole different research dilemma,

But on the monitor question, this one, which is an IPS screen. ⤵

Its more than I had planned on paying, but within the budget I would / could justify, if its any good. And worth it. If IPS is thta much better than VA?

Any thoughts?

Thank you again for the extremely valuable help.

If IPS is thta much better than VA?
i've been through ~6 monitors in the last 13 years or so myself.
each time i went and looked all over at floor displays and read review articles for probably a year before purchasing anything.

i have compared VA to IPS many many times and always found the majority of IPS panels look noticeably better.
even a VA maybe having blacker black areas does not compensate for dull colors
or the low viewing angles giving a washed out look when not looking directly at the center of the screen from straight on.

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Briliant advice JohnBonhamsGhost

I will be looking for an IPS now. Or even trying to justify ) to myself) to pay the extra to get an OLED.

I really appreciate the heads up. I would have ended up getting a VA, I know I would.

Thank you so much. (y)