Question CPU jumping 30-40 degrees after running game

May 14, 2024
Is this a sign that my CPU cooler is too weak or even dead? It's the only thing I haven't upgraded in the last year or two.
Please see all pictures for data. My PSU is an 850W. Seeing the temps spike so high during a simple game download leads me to believe it is not the cooler but something to do with my hard drive perhaps?

All fans are set to PWM in BIOS.

View: https://imgur.com/a/H7WM0IF

Last edited:
include complete system specs in your post.
make sure to also include the make & model of the PSU + it's overall time in use,
850w means nothing in relation to it's build quality & reliability.

upload images to imgur.com and link them here to be viewed in the thread.

30-40° is a normal idle temp for a CPU with any basic cooler.

Reactions: Ryden22
May 14, 2024
include complete system specs in your post.
make sure to also include the make & model of the PSU + it's overall time in use,
850w means nothing in relation to it's build quality & reliability.

upload images to imgur.com and link them here to be viewed in the thread.

30-40° is a normal idle temp for a CPU with any basic cooler.
I will post more info and pics on my PSU in a few, but there are a ton of links already provided to show my system specs: CPU, Motherboard, GPU, RAM...are you not able to see those?

I don't feel like it's normal to jump from 60 degrees to 90 degrees for a game update, where the game isn't being played. I'm also noticing my GPU load skyrocket with this simple update.

Edit: disregard the comment about the GPU load, it seems to be going back and forth from about 55% to 2% roughly every 30 seconds...

I'm having to pause my download to allow the temps to drop to normal and then turn it back on just for a few before they get too hot (reaching 95-100 degrees) and I have to stop the download again.

Last edited:
there are a ton of links already provided to show my system specs
i see links.
not actual written info
or other related images that are viewable in the thread.

many users, me included, are not going to chase down info to other sites when it can be easily posted here.

include make & model of all hardware as;
CPU:
motherboard(plus BIOS version):
RAM:
GPU:
PSU(plus time in use):
case(plus fans with placement & orientation):
CPU cooler:
the temps are jumping up 30-40 degrees from the core temp of around 50 degrees when the game starts, so the gaming average is around 80, 85, sometimes 90
usually related to a lack of necessary cooling.

majority of the time for anything above simple web browsing or basic media usage a more significant cooler is required plus a case that allows a lot of good cool air intake and warm air exhaust.

May 14, 2024
i see links.
not actual written info
or other related images that are viewable in the thread.

many users, me included, are not going to chase down info to other sites when it can be easily posted here.

include make & model of all hardware as;
CPU:
motherboard(plus BIOS version):
RAM:
GPU:
PSU(plus time in use):
case(plus fans with placement & orientation):
CPU cooler:

usually related to a lack of necessary cooling.

majority of the time for anything above simple web browsing or basic media usage a more significant cooler is required plus a case that allows a lot of good cool air intake and warm air exhaust.

CPU:
Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard(plus BIOS version):
Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX
PCI-Express 5.0
Intel
Raptor Lake
BIOS:
American Megatrends International
Version:FH
Date 12/14/23
TDP:125
RAM:
Corsair
Channel:4 x32-bit
Type: DDR5
Size: 64GB
DRAM Freq: 2400
SPD Ext.:XMP 3.0
GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
TDP:170
PSU(plus time in use):
(Not sure how long I've had it, I can't find any receipt for it. I might have bought it when I built my first rig around 2013)
Corsair HX850 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/126475107696)
Model: 75-001219
Case(plus fans with placement & orientation):
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Compatible with ATX
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-carbide-500r/
I have not moved the fans
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Fans are on top, mesh part of the cooler on "bottom" (under the fans)

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
2400 for the RAM? That's surely not right. ("Don't call my Surley")

As for cooling, the 240mm may not be enough. I have a 360mm on my 13700 and it's acceptable (by my standards) in a comparitvely open case.

Do you have the pump to always be at 100%?

CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Fans are on top, mesh part of the cooler on "bottom" (under the fans)
this can be a problem depending on how the airflow of the case is directed.

the majority of the time the fans should be blowing out through the radiator forcing the heat out of the system.
otherwise you would cause a buildup of heat in the system which will negatively affect all components' temperature.
all those links are just pictures, just like you asked. The only difference is I didn't use Imgur
and so they cannot be viewed here in the thread.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
(Also, just FYI, all those links are just pictures, just like you asked. The only difference is I didn't use Imgur)
No offense, but imgur links automatically load in the thread. Most people here will not click on links, hecne the suggestion to use imgur. It's not required, so it's fine if you don't feel like uploading them.

I have a 13600K as well, and it will rise up to about 30-40 degrees C higher than idle. The cooler i use is the Noctua NH-D15.
Maybe your cooler and thermal paste is to blame? You can re-apply the paste and re-seat the cooler lol, nevermind. Grab a Peerless Assassin for $33.

I am not seeing the HDD/SSD in the specs?

2400 for the RAM? That's surely not right. ("Don't call my Surley")
That is 4800 Mhz, vanilla JEDEC.

May 14, 2024
AIO coolers are usually good for about 5 years, might last longer or less. The pump can get weak, and the fluid evaporates.

Copy, I have an Air cooler replacement on the way. Hopefully, it is just that, but the fact that it is getting very hot just downloading an update from the battlenet app is really concerning.

May 14, 2024
the majority of the time the fans should be blowing out through the radiator forcing the heat out of the system.
otherwise you would cause a buildup of heat in the system which will negatively affect all components' temperature.

So you're saying I've had my radiator and fans backwards this whole time? lol I feel like I would have encountered this a lot sooner if that was the case, (even if I was only using a 1070). BUt I'll take a look at switching those if that's truly the only thing you can see being the issue.

May 14, 2024
No offense, but imgur links automatically load in the thread. Most people here will not click on links, hecne the suggestion to use imgur. It's not required, so it's fine if you don't feel like uploading them.

I have a 13600K as well, and it will rise up to about 30-40 degrees C higher than idle. The cooler i use is the Noctua NH-D15.
Maybe your cooler and thermal paste is to blame? You can re-apply the paste and re-seat the cooler lol, nevermind. Grab a Peerless Assassin for $33.

I am not seeing the HDD/SSD in the specs?

Ah I get it. Just doesn't make a lot of sense when they all work just the same, just opens a new tab. Anyway, I'll look at Imgur from now on for these things I guess.

I would have gone wih the assassin but looked this one up and it's not too bad for the price either:
Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO CPU Cooler,Dual TL-K12 PWM Fan, 7 Heat Pipes CPU Cooling,with 2150RPM Speed,for AMD AM4 AM5/Intel 1700/1150/1151/1200/2011, PC Heatsink Cooler

Do you not need thermal paste with air coolers?

My HDD and SSD's are all over the place...

View: https://imgur.com/a/CzIvQs1

(Did I do the imgur thing right?)

Reactions: 35below0
May 14, 2024
this can be a problem depending on how the airflow of the case is directed.

and so they cannot be viewed here in the thread.

Here are all the images you asked for:

View: https://imgur.com/a/H7WM0IF

would have gone wih the assassin but looked this one up and it's not too bad for the price either:
Thermalright Phantom Spirit
they're very similar.
the Peerless Assassin has a tiny bit more fin surface area and supposedly runs a bit quieter, but probably nothing very noticeable.

though i wouldn't bother with the switch until you verify if properly installing the AIO helps enough with temps.
while you have it out rotate the radiator/tubing around to ensure any possible bubbles will have worked free.
Do you not need thermal paste with air coolers?
some may come with pre-applied pads, but it's almost always better to use a higher quality 3rd party thermal paste.

the last few builds i've done i used Prolimatech PK-3 and it is exceptional.
you're saying I've had my radiator and fans backwards this whole time? lol I feel like I would have encountered this a lot sooner if that was the case
it appears that way.

if the fans are blowing down into the radiator then all of the heat generated by the CPU is being lead into the system where it's heat affects all other components.
if the fans are blowing up away from the radiator then it is just not as effective as blowing up through the radiator.

either way your fans will have to work harder at higher RPMs with more noise produced and still will achieve less system-wide cooling.
Corsair Carbide Series 500R
i still have one of those old Corsair 500R cases as a media center system that had been moved to my mother's house quiet some years ago.

they are pretty good at cooling with the 200mm side fan, but the front/rear 120mm fans could definitely use an upgrade.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
I would have gone wih the assassin but looked this one up and it's not too bad for the price either:
Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO CPU Cooler
Yeah, that one is even better. As it happens, it's probably the best performing cooler on the market today: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/air-cooling/thermalright-phantom-spirit-120-evo-review

It comes with thermal paste. But the reason i crossed it out in my post is because i failed to realize you're using an AIO. Not an air cooler.

Thanks for posting drive info. Nothing so far explains why your temps shoot up when downloading games.

May 14, 2024
Yeah, that one is even better. As it happens, it's probably the best performing cooler on the market today: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/air-cooling/thermalright-phantom-spirit-120-evo-review

It comes with thermal paste. But the reason i crossed it out in my post is because i failed to realize you're using an AIO. Not an air cooler.

Thanks for posting drive info. Nothing so far explains why your temps shoot up when downloading games.

Uhhh....Was I not supposed to put thermal paste on mine???....

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Uhhh....Was I not supposed to put thermal paste on mine???....
Let's put this thermal paste confusion to rest!

I made a mistake in one of my previous posts. I failed to realize you're not using an air cooler, i got confused. That is where thermal paste comment originates, but it is irrelevant now, and always was.

Don't worry about this, it's all a misunderstanding.