3 Reasons Why Surface Pro is Priced Right

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sfbayshane

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]What I really want to know is why I should purchase the Surface Pro rather than the Samsung ATIV 700T. It appears to me that the ATIV has more levels of pressure sensitivity (1024 vs 256), a place to stow the stylus, a larger screen, better battery life, and hinges like a traditional laptop when the keyboard is attached as opposed to a kickstand. What makes the Surface Pro better? All I see is that it's a little cheaper.[/citation]

Where did you read 256 levels of pressure? I Imagine its the same exact tech as the Samsung. (http://www.slideshare.net/SOFTPROGroup/microsoft-surface-pro-electronic-signature-softpro-signdoc-mobile). The pen doesn't have a silo which I'm not that happy about but if the magnet dock for it is strong enough then it should be fine. (Also the surface pen includes an eraser stock, samsung does not) At first I favored the keyboard dock of the ativ but after its release the reviews of the keyboard are terrible, what's the point if it doesn't work? not to mention the surface will surely get a similar hard keyboard dock in time. I'm pretty sure they even opened licensing for third party companies to use the docking port. The build quality of the surface is infinitely better and more planned out than the ativ.
As far as battery life, so far it's only speculation that the battery life will be half of the surface rt (and not much less then the ativ maybe the same or better at comparable brightness).. but I'm hoping the release of the surface pro is delayed due to them planning to use the newer 10w ivy bridge chips. Which would substantially increase battery life over the ativ maybe by 2 full hours or more. At the price, for what this tablet offers its a great deal. I and many other online bloggers, were actually expecting it to cost way more, in the 1200 range upon release. I'm not knocking the ativ I was actually confident I was going to buy it, but I'm glad I waited because it seems to be having a messy launch and many problems. For the price I think I would rather buy the surface but we will see how it does when it's released, it's between that and the helix. The only real downside which isn't substantial is the screen size is one inch smaller. However this will be taken care of when they release the 14 inch version of the surface with haswell later in 2013. That is my dream machine.

G

I complete agree...its the kinda device I've been waiting for, for a very long time. That would've been a very nice Christmas gift for me...I can't wait for it to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS