Question 3 vital questions about Samsung SSDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2019
I have been trying to find out some things about the new Samsung drives, specifically the 2TB model MZ-76E2T0B/AM.

Samsung have been extremely unhelpful, and most recently when they deign to answer they are saying that the information I want is confidential.

Clearly this is rubbish, as I am asking (see below) for stuff that is readily available via simple tests. I don't know (or care) exactly what they are trying to conceal, perhaps simply that they don't know the answer themselves. Although simple, the tests will/would take some time and expense so I am hoping that someone here has run them already, or is interested enough and flush enough to do so.

These are the questions I need answers to:

(1) how long do you expect (or specify) a powered-down device to resist data loss.

(2) how long must a device, after such a maximum power outage, be powered up to return to a fully "silvered" state.

(3) and importantly whether this re-silvering will take place within a device that is in standby state (the state where a hard disk would spin down).

Number (3) of course includes the issue of whether a device may be left in standby longer than the period mentioned in (1) above without data loss.

This information is necessary because I wish to deploy such a device in an application where it will be powered down occasionally, and where it will ideally be in standby most of the time.

If anyone can help, I appreciate it very much.

.../Leigh Clayton, Toronto Canada

Dec 9, 2019
I very much appreciate all the responses posted here, but it looks to me as if there is simply not anyone here who can answer the questions I've actually tried to ask.

It is true that I am anything but a great fan of flash, primarily because it is used so widely and so many of the people who use it don't clearly understand its limitations. I had a conversation a couple years ago with several employees of a major musical instrument manufacturer, concerning the expected lifespan of their keyboards. It was clear that they had absolutely no idea about these limitations, and even when they asked their engineers, and got correct information, they clearly did not understand the import.

Thus my comments about firmware in nuclear power stations - although I don't live downwind of any such, and personally I am more concerned with the deteriorating data stored in the flash in my motherboards' BIOS and my many hard drives' firmware. But I obviously trust it well enough to be happy to move more of my data to flash IF I could get some simple straight answers about the device I'm looking at, so the data persistence issue is not really the crux of my current inquiry. The world will be a much safer place when/if XPoint memory replaces flash in everything. But I'm turning 70 in a few months and I doubt I'll be around to see that happen.

I apologise to you all for wasting your time. As you surely know these threads can move off-topic easily and I have no desire to waste your time (or mine) with the various diversions that have started to creep in. (Clearly I am as guilty as anyone in this respect, for which I apologise as well.)

I don't see any way to close the thread, but I honestly don't see the point of continuing it, so could we please consider dropping it?

Again, thanks to you all. .../Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.