[SOLVED] 30" + Monitor Recommendations

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hey guys! I currently have a Dell U3014 that I've been using for years. 2560 x 1600 resolution; Love the sharpness and I can get away with playing games on it. Typically FPS games are my go-to, when I have time.

I'm finally getting a new system which will have the RTX 3090 in it and I am looking to see if I should, and would benefit from upgrading my monitor.

Talk about options, choices and variables with all the different monitors... It'll make your head spin.

It would be great if I could get some suggestions and or real world experience on some monitor options as a replacement. Primarily I will be editing 6k raw video, color grading along with some vfx and compositing work, but I am not a professional currently. I do appreciate quality and will pay for it. I do like to game occasionally but unfortunately the gaming takes the back seat to the video work.

Some ideal options, but I'm open to good information:
-30" Plus
-10 bit
-Sharp!
-3840 x 2160 and above
-Most of the color support REC 709, REC 2020

Eizo and Asus ProArt seem to be toward the top but maybe I don't need to get that much monitor? I know there are give and takes with all the different monitors but user feedback and info from people that are in the know is invaluable.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Solution
out of the 20 or so i looked up and the 8 or so i actually got my eyes & hands on physically;
this IPS Dell-Alienware has the best color\contrast\sharpness i found + 120Hz & G-Sync.

but at the rate new displays seem to be coming out, a couple months from now you may find something even better with even more options for a similar price.
is making it harder and harder to shop for new components knowing something better may be creeping around the corner at any moment.
if games are your main source of use, ultra-wide(21:9) is an awesome way to go. never seen a user get one that states they could stand to go back to a 16:9 display.

there are plenty of 10bit HDR panels out there, but i found getting a very high percentage DCI-P3 IPS is just as good as some of the options and much better than the average HDR10 panel. and usually much cheaper.

if you're looking for an extra large(42-75") 4k 16:9 display, maybe even a good OLED tv would suit you better than a lot of the modern monitors. many have integrated Adaptive Sync tech and support Display Port connections now.

you'll see many arguments back and forth about VA vs IPS panels. but i tried a couple highly regarded VA monitors and the majority of them had such terrible viewing angels that even sitting directly in front they had major issues with washed out grayish edges and even worse corners where the colors were extremely washed out.

ended up going back to an IPS with a very high DCI-P3 % and it has beautiful color and contrast that compares with or surpasses the image quality of a lot of HDR panels.
my 21:9 ultra-wide \ 34" \ 120Hz \ 1900R \ 3440x1440p \ G-Sync \ Alienware AW3420DW is perfect for me.

it took me about 4 months of researching and testing out different displays before deciding on my current monitor and i am very happy with it.
may be the same for you since more manufacturers are coming out with new and updated panels every couple weeks now it seems.

Reactions: MrRipfrog

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
if games are your main source of use, ultra-wide(21:9) is an awesome way to go. never seen a user get one that states they could stand to go back to a 16:9 display.

Unfortunately the Video work will be my primary focus so I would like the footage to look best while I work on the source.

there are plenty of 10bit HDR panels out there, but i found getting a very high percentage DCI-P3 IPS is just as good as some of the options and much better than the average HDR10 panel. and usually much cheaper.

That's great info and I will definitely search for monitors with those specs and see if I can get my eyes on them. It's really the grading in scenes which has my interest in 10 bit.

ended up going back to an IPS with a very high DCI-P3 % and it has beautiful color and contrast that compares with or surpasses the image quality of a lot of HDR panels.
my 21:9 ultra-wide \ 34" \ 120Hz \ 1900R \ 3440x1440p \ G-Sync \ Alienware AW3420DW is perfect for me.

it took me about 4 months of researching and testing out different displays before deciding on my current monitor and i am very happy with it.
may be the same for you since more manufacturers are coming out with new and updated panels every couple weeks now it seems.

I was looking at the 38" version of the Alienware "AW3821DW". Is your monitor sharp with video, pictures, etc? Or is it a little soft and more tailored toward gamming?

You sure are right about the new monitors coming out. I've been eyeballing this one:

out of the 20 or so i looked up and the 8 or so i actually got my eyes & hands on physically;
this IPS Dell-Alienware has the best color\contrast\sharpness i found + 120Hz & G-Sync.

but at the rate new displays seem to be coming out, a couple months from now you may find something even better with even more options for a similar price.
is making it harder and harder to shop for new components knowing something better may be creeping around the corner at any moment.

Reactions: MrRipfrog
Solution