$30 Power Supplies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raygg.lol

Prominent
Jul 2, 2018
I have a budget of $30-40 for a PSU, here are the contestants that available in my country at the $30-40 price range:

EVGA 400w @$33
Corsair VS450 @41
Seasonic Eco 430w @46

I heard that Corsair VS450 has a low quality, and the CXM450 is currently available for $65 in my country so I don't think I will pick CXM450. So do you think which one is the best deal? I need an enlightenment, Thanks.

Solution
Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with a SeaSonic 430W in a build like this. Yes, it's a discrete GPU, but from a power standpoint, just barely considering how much these cards sip power. It's not a Destroy Your Rig PSU by any means, even though I don't think it'll last 10 years in most cases. But given the specifics of the poster's situation, I think it likely that replacing a PSU in two years may be easier than buying a more expensive one right now; he's a student without a job right now.

I'm a bit of a power supply snob too, but this is just a situation in which we can't tell someone to simply put a little more money and get a better PSU.

raygg.lol

Prominent
Jul 2, 2018
By the way I live in Indonesia, and taking about heat, my room is air conditioned so I don't think the temperature is a problem :D
My list is the best of what I can get in my country right now, they had a lot of Corsair VS450, EVGA 400, and many more low-end PSU in stock. While the better quality one are often out of stock or available but in a unreasonable price

Raygg.lol - I recommend seeing in NEWEGG are in your country. I use them all the time in the Country I am in, because they are a lot cheaper. Also when you look at the price, it tells you import tax as well, when you go to checkout and they guarantee you won't pay any more money.
I find them between 10-25% cheaper than my local shops.

raygg.lol

Prominent
Jul 2, 2018
I'm still dilemmatic, I can't make any decision yet. By the way, @rexper Wow, as an Indonesian myself, I never heard of rakitan.com. It seems like a good source for pc parts, thanks for pointing it out. How do you find that web :D

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with a SeaSonic 430W in a build like this. Yes, it's a discrete GPU, but from a power standpoint, just barely considering how much these cards sip power. It's not a Destroy Your Rig PSU by any means, even though I don't think it'll last 10 years in most cases. But given the specifics of the poster's situation, I think it likely that replacing a PSU in two years may be easier than buying a more expensive one right now; he's a student without a job right now.

I'm a bit of a power supply snob too, but this is just a situation in which we can't tell someone to simply put a little more money and get a better PSU.

Solution

raygg.lol

Prominent
Jul 2, 2018
@Rexper I've checked all power supplies you listed, none of them are currently available for a reasonable price here. As I said before, I think people here do really likes bad PSUs or they actually don't know if those PSUs are bad, or they only stock these PSUs in order to press the price due to international shipping, tax, etc. from their main suppliers in western country or U.S. There are a lot of Corsair VS series, Collermaster lite series, EVGA 400w, and other PSUs that you guys considered as "bad" PSUs available, but the slighty better ones such as Corsair CXM series, Cooler Master MasterWatt "non lite", Be Quiet Pure Power 10, FSP Hexa 85+ series, etc. are currently not available in my country or available but at unreasonable price (twice or even tripled the price) So I think I will buy the Seasonic Eco 430w since it's the best I can get for a reasonable price in my country. Thank you so much for helping guys, now I'm more convinced about my decision.

logainofhades

Titan

You are acting like they are trying to power a GTX 1070.... Given that the GTX 1050 only uses power from the PCI-E slot, and has a 300w PSU minimum, that Seasonic Eco is perfectly fine. That hardware setup is only going to be using a little over 200w.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

In spite of the conversation, any of the 3 original choices (given budget and availability) will meet your needs. I would go with the Seasonic. I have used many Seasonic PSUs over MANY years and have never had one let me down.

Of course, there are more expensive, higher quality/capability models to choose from. However, given the lack of product availability and budget (something very much overlooked by some on this thread), your options are limited.

Several others, rightfully, pointed out these limitations out and provided more meaningful input. Thank you to those who stayed on track and offered reasoned advice.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 3 things to really think about when shopping for a psu. Capacity, quality, budget. That's pretty much all that's important. And those 3 things are by no means synonymous. Because of its quality, I'd trust that Seasonic eco 430w over a 700w Apevia, Every day of the week, 4x on Sundays, and would have no second thoughts about giving it to my Mom. Even though it's slightly cheaper.

Sales, supply, demand all have bearing on price, as does brand and availability. So once you get a list of just what's affordable, forget the rest, concentrate on what's going to do the job as far as capacity goes. Toss the rest of the list. This leaves just a few, as in op's 3 choices. Time for quality. The other 2 are somewhat below in quality compared to 1, so it's really a no brainer.

The Seasonic is in budget, is large enough to do the job and is the highest quality of the 3.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Also compatibility (size, cables), features (warranty, noise, efficiency, modularity etc) should be considered when choosing power supplies. Not that it's relevant to the topic, this is why Tier Lists shouldn't be relied on.

OP, try for a Antec Neo Eco II 450 for 680,000 RP https://www.enterkomputer.com/psu.php Better than the first three options. For only slightly more than the Seasonic Eco, it's easily worth it.