300 Foxconn Workers Threaten Mass Suicide Over Raise

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Easy way to fix this whole scenario is to place enormous tariffs on any goods coming from countries using exploitative labor practices. Then suddenly they will be cheaper to produce here... and once again, they can't just raise the price by 4-8 times. Nobody would buy it, and so they wouldn't make any money. This is not a necessary evil. I won't cry if Dell, Microsoft, or Apple go under because of this. It won't make me sad if I can't get unnecessary electronic toys for $200-300 anymore

"place enormous tariffs on any goods coming from countries using exploitative labor practices"
like China? right, that will work.
"Foreign governments hold about 46 percent of all U.S. debt held by the public, more than $4.5 trillion. The largest foreign holder of U.S. debt is China, which owns more about $1.2 trillion in bills, notes and bonds, according to the Treasury"
Dont think your plan will work to well. The US has no leverage to impose tariffs.

Maybe, if the US Government would lower the corporate tax rate, companies would come back to the US, as long as unions stay out of the equation.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Trade war is what started the Great Depression. Nations tried to protect their own labor and jobs by placing tariffs on imported goods. Trade dried up. Cost of living went up. Jobs declined. Currency deflated.

Let's start another trade war now. Yes! That will solve our problems.

/sarcasm

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
@rawful
If you really want to stop corporations from doing business with foreign countries that have exploitative labor practices, you should start an action campaign to educate people and boycott the corporations that do business with countries that use slave labor.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]"place enormous tariffs on any goods coming from countries using exploitative labor practices"like China? right, that will work. "Foreign governments hold about 46 percent of all U.S. debt held by the public, more than $4.5 trillion. The largest foreign holder of U.S. debt is China, which owns more about $1.2 trillion in bills, notes and bonds, according to the Treasury"Dont think your plan will work to well. The US has no leverage to impose tariffs.Maybe, if the US Government would lower the corporate tax rate, companies would come back to the US, as long as unions stay out of the equation.[/citation]

Your plans and statements are ridiculous. We do not need leverage to impose a tariff, it is our right as a sovereign nation (while we still are sovereign). Companies will only come back to the US when it is profitable for them to do so. Making it less profitable to use foreign labor is the only way.

[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Trade war is what started the Great Depression. Nations tried to protect their own labor and jobs by placing tariffs on imported goods. Trade dried up. Cost of living went up. Jobs declined. Currency deflated.Let's start another trade war now. Yes! That will solve our problems./sarcasm[/citation]

The Great Depression was not caused by trade war. The great depression was caused by the Federal Reserve Bank, which was enacted in 1913. They printed large amounts of money, they loaned it out at low interest, so money was plentiful. Then they retracted the money supply, they stopped loaning the money to the banks to loan to the people. The banks no longer had the money to pay people what was in their savings accounts because they had loaned out all the money they had, due to the Federal Reserve Bank printing vast amounts of money out of thin air and giving it to them to loan out. It allowed to banks to do what is called fractional reserve lending. On every deposit made, they loaned out 90-95% of it.

[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]@rawfulIf you really want to stop corporations from doing business with foreign countries that have exploitative labor practices, you should start an action campaign to educate people and boycott the corporations that do business with countries that use slave labor.[/citation]

I would love to, but people are too dumb and too lazy. They won't accept facts, they want to hear about celebrity news. They have no grasp of politics or economics. Even worse are the people who think they do know things, because they watch Fox News or CNN and get corporate brainwashing. Only way to really learn is to do your own research, come to a conclusion yourself, and nobody can be bothered.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]The Great Depression was not caused by trade war. The great depression was caused by the Federal Reserve Bank, which was enacted in 1913. They printed large amounts of money, they loaned it out at low interest, so money was plentiful. Then they retracted the money supply, they stopped loaning the money to the banks to loan to the people. The banks no longer had the money to pay people what was in their savings accounts because they had loaned out all the money they had, due to the Federal Reserve Bank printing vast amounts of money out of thin air and giving it to them to loan out. It allowed to banks to do what is called fractional reserve lending. On every deposit made, they loaned out 90-95% of it.[/citation]

If that's the case, then, how do you explain the Great Depression being a worldwide event? Our central bank didn't print money for other nations.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]If that's the case, then, how do you explain the Great Depression being a worldwide event? Our central bank didn't print money for other nations.[/citation]

Our central bank was implemented and run (and is still run) by the same group of people who implemented and ran (and still run) the central banks of every other western country. The Rothschild banking cartel. Very simple to pull the same scam at the same time in each country they control the money supply in. Also very telling is the fact that during the great depression, there was an attempted coup of the American government by the banks to establish a fascist dictatorship. Luckily, the man they approached to lead the coup went to Congress and informed them of the plot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

It is no accident that the Rothschilds also funded both sides of World War II.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
We do not need leverage to impose a tariff
Now that is a ridiculous statement. China is our bank and we need more money. You dont bite the hand that feeds you.

Your plans and statements are ridiculous
Lowering the corporate tax rate to entice companies to come back to the US is ridiculous?
You should take an economics class.

Companies will only come back to the US when it is profitable for them to do so
couldn't have said it better myself... oh wait... i did say that.

Making it less profitable to use foreign labor is the only way
agreed, but tariffs create strain on the consumer and foreign relations, but lower corporate tax rates makes our country more enticing for business, bringing jobs back to the US without the negatives.

juxtaposer

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
A company needs to take care of the workers. Aside from the primary human factor, there is quality control: if the workers are so overworked or depressed or discouraged or upset that they consider suicide, how can they do a good job? I hope that the companies that do business with the manufacturers agree.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Tantum[/nom]Actually, a lot of you people are dumb. Parts that require mostly automation for manufacturing would be cheaper to produce here, because of shipping costs. (Shipping materials to China, shipping manufactured parts back)It's just a total waste. It hurts us, it hurts their people.[/citation]

Actually shipping is much cheaper than you think !
Thanks to the advancements in container management technology. I whore a paper about this some years ago at the university in Hamburg, Germany; one of the largest container terminals in the world.

I owned an import/export company and was always amazed that bulk shipping a computer from China to the USA is less expensive than using the US mail service to ship the same PC to the customer in the next city !

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]go up by how much, the problem is the only numbers that we actually got from companies say 4-8 times the current cost, well like to have happen is an outside research company actually figure out what the actual cost would be to manufacture inside of the United States. Because I'm assuming minimum wage workers most of it robots could actually take over for another half of it in a few skilled workers wouldnt add that much to the bottom line.[/citation]

Think about it... 'greedy' corporations would obviously manufacture in the USA if it was profitable !
Keep in mind that maximum 'profit' is not sales price minus- manufacturing price per item !
You have to factor in the total number of sales at each price point as well.
As a manufacturer you do NOT mind less profit per item if it means you can sell substantially more product.

That's 1st semester Business school stuff, and common sense.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]Your plans and statements are ridiculous. We do not need leverage to impose a tariff, it is our right as a sovereign nation (while we still are sovereign). Companies will only come back to the US when it is profitable for them to do so. Making it less profitable to use foreign labor is the only way. The Great Depression was not caused by trade war. The great depression was caused by the Federal Reserve Bank, which was enacted in 1913. They printed large amounts of money, they loaned it out at low interest, so money was plentiful. Then they retracted the money supply, they stopped loaning the money to the banks to loan to the people. The banks no longer had the money to pay people what was in their savings accounts because they had loaned out all the money they had, due to the Federal Reserve Bank printing vast amounts of money out of thin air and giving it to them to loan out. It allowed to banks to do what is called fractional reserve lending. On every deposit made, they loaned out 90-95% of it. I would love to, but people are too dumb and too lazy. They won't accept facts, they want to hear about celebrity news. They have no grasp of politics or economics. Even worse are the people who think they do know things, because they watch Fox News or CNN and get corporate brainwashing. Only way to really learn is to do your own research, come to a conclusion yourself, and nobody can be bothered.[/citation]

Yes, it is your right to impose tariffs.
But remember, that's a 2 way street and before you know it YOU can not export your good anymore because the other countries responded with their own tariffs.
What now... you want to take on the whole world in a trade war ?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
My apologies for the various spelling errors. I sometimes type faster than my fingers can manage and miss a key; or maybe I have dyslexic fingers :)

If a moderator reads this... would it be possible to add an 'edit' feature so we can fix our prose ?

wrxchris

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I really expected Tom's readership to be more enlightened than this tread suggests. Your posts make it evident that purveyors of cutting edge tech are no different than their inferior best buy counterparts; a consumerist douche is a consumerist douche no matter how you cut it. :sadface:

juxtaposer

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Thought provoking. It is good to encourage good standards. :)

Comments following an article represent a self-selected subset of the readers of the article: those who chose to read the article and who chose to comment. Generally, readers will have varying levels of expertise on topic (and more or less on other topics). There are probably a lot more readers (and maybe types of readers) than the comments represent.

Explanatory posts are helpful, especially when I don't understand something or when I think I do but my understanding is underinformed or just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.