300 W or not 300 W that is the question

G

I know that with AMD TBird you must use 300 W Power supplies or you might encounter some problems, system hangs mostly...

I would like to know if with Duron it's the same.. I think it is but then.. Why pay for a budget processor if then you have to buy a more expensive power supply ...

Just a thought.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I go with at least 300w for all AMD processors just to be safe. My personal opinion.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=509926" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=509926</A></b>

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
a good 300w is not *that* much more expensive than say a good 250w... its when you get to 450w, double fan, ultra-quiet things (umm, why am I salivating here:) that it gets really expensive...

of course, a cheapo 250w is far less expensive than a good, real 300w, but cheapo any-wattage will usually be a bad idea...:(

plus the BEST thing (to me) with durons is that most mobos will easily take Tbird... that means a year from today, you can upgrade to a Tbird 1200 which at that time will cost next-to-nothing, and get a great, trouble-free 50% or more increase in performance... with bad power supply though, that same upgrade now becomes a hassle...

G

Well if it was only my opinion I would buy a good 300 W power supply with all my computers wether is it a P3 or an AMD.. But I'm selling computers and I can't see why my clients would buy a Duron over a Celeron if example the Celeron board cost less ( example i810 ), power supply cost less and you get an all in one board.. The picture is changing for AMD with new chipsets but still .. Can't argue with the client you know :)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This is the best value that I could find.

$42 - Mid-tower case (VC-803K), 4 5.25" bays 4 3.5' bays (2 exposed and provision for a 5th drive), L & C Power 300W PSU (AMD approved). (The default PSU is 250 Watts - don't forget to upgrade).

www.nimbuspc.com

The case is lightweight but well designed. The only frills are removable side panels and motherboard tray. The case is well vented but only has provision for 2 case fans (not included but only $4.25 each).

It is a good case if you don't plan to overcrowd it. My case holds my KT7 Mobo, Duron 600@900 Mhz, Visiontek Geforce256 SDR (overclocked), CD-ROM 24X, HP 8100 CD-RW, Maxtor DiamondMax 40, 5400 RPM, Hard Drive, dual floppy, 3-Com modem, Turtlebeach sound card.

The PSU has only 4 std power connectors and 1 mini, so if you have more devices you'd need y-splitters.