[SOLVED] 3000 mhz memory stuck at 2133 mhz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

s22now

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
I recently finished building my first pc and I noticed that when using a single stick of my corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 ram, I am able to run at the speed of 2933mhz.

However, when using both sticks, the speed is stuck at 2133mhz no matter what I changed in the bios. Does anyone know why and how to fix it?

single ram: View: https://imgur.com/a/8M2Kdoh

two ram: View: https://imgur.com/a/6aefAPx

Slots are A2 and B2 as shown in my mobo user guide and using the latest bios with xmp profile enabled
Spec: corsair vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, ryzen 2700x, msi b450 tomahawk max

Solution
Ok, so if you haven't taken the CPU cooler off and the CPU out the check for bent pins yet, my question would be, why? That needs to happen, and if you plan to put it back you'll want to make sure you have fresh thermal paste and 91% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the mating surfaces before you re-apply the paste and put it back together again.
You have (Or had) a damaged pin? For sure? If so, then that is almost unquestionably the problem.

Sometimes pins are DIMM slot specific. Have you at least TRIED using the A1 and B1 slots? It usually doesn't work when those slots are populated, or doesn't work well, but occasionally I've seen somebody have success. Unfortunately, if that doesn't work then it's probably a matter of having to replace the CPU, if a pin was or is bent. Obviously, that's going to be a bit more expensive but to be honest I would advise against replacing it with another 2700x and going with a 3700x instead. The 3700x has significantly higher single core performance with the same number of cores and threads, so overall performance is moderately increased and the price difference is less than 25 bucks.

Hopefully, the CPU is not the problem though.

Reactions: boju
Ok, so if you haven't taken the CPU cooler off and the CPU out the check for bent pins yet, my question would be, why? That needs to happen, and if you plan to put it back you'll want to make sure you have fresh thermal paste and 91% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the mating surfaces before you re-apply the paste and put it back together again.

Solution