Question 3080 AMP HOLO LHR crashes when in game.

Sep 22, 2021
I recently upgraded my GPU from the ASUS 1070 TURBO (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/Turbo/TURBO-GTX1070-8G/) to a 3080 AMP HOLO LHR (https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3080-amp-holo). The GPU ran great for about 2 days, then Rocket League crashed. Rocket League keeps crashing as soon as I enter the game. And games like VALORANT and Red Dead Redemption 2 provide "Graphics Driver has crashed" errors whenever I leave the menu and get in game. What's weird is that GPU benchmarks like UserBenchmark run just fine and it performs averagely. (UserBenchmark score: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46457221)

Things I have tried:
Uninstalling Drivers using DDU.
Reinstalling Drivers
Installing the previous driver
Complete wipe of system (including OS.)

I know many issues with PC's lead to PSU wattage, and it seems UserBenchmark doesn't show PSU specs, so I have a EVGA 80+ GOLD 850W PSU, that I bought a week ago.

I spoke to Zotac and they want me to RMA it. I will if I have to, but UserBenchmark score makes me believe that there is nothing wrong with the GPU and it may be something else.

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2021
Update, I ran DDU again and installed my 1070 again. When I restarted my computer, it first started only detecting one monitor at 60hz, which is usual for no drivers; then it detected all three and 2 were running 144 and my main was at 240. I found this odd. I downloaded GeForce Experience and saw that a driver was detected and it seemed to have been using it. What confuses me here is that since I completely wiped my computer, I have not plugged in my 1070 once, so how does it grab a driver?!?!?! Could this be part of the problem?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Windows will run a generic graphics driver with the detected gpu - enough to do basic tasks with.
When you install the Nvidia driver, it gets the boot.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=14&e=4&A=850000000000
You'll need to specify which one. EVGA 80+ GOLD 850W PSU will not be enough for others to go on.
There's both good and bad units, plus the higher tier RTX 30 cards are picky.

Reactions: Kekoo20
Sep 22, 2021
Windows will run a generic graphics driver with the detected gpu - enough to do basic tasks with.
When you install the Nvidia driver, it gets the boot.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=14&e=4&A=850000000000
You'll need to specify which one. EVGA 80+ GOLD 850W PSU will not be enough for others to go on.
There's both good and bad units, plus the higher tier RTX 30 cards are picky.
It is the SuperNOVA GA, and installing GeForce experience showed an actual NVIDIA driver, does Windows install NVIDIA driver’s automatically?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
installing GeForce experience showed an actual NVIDIA driver, does Windows install NVIDIA driver’s automatically?
No.
While DDU does uninstall the active driver, you never removed previous driver packages through File Explorer, did you? Geforce Experience would've detected and installed those.

Supernova GA is in Tier B with a 1 next to it, showing: "Units experiencing tripping issues with high transient power draw GPUs like AMD Vega, 6900 XT and nVidia RTX3080 / 3080 Ti / 3090."

Sep 22, 2021
Sep 22, 2021
No.
While DDU does uninstall the active driver, you never removed previous driver packages through File Explorer, did you? Geforce Experience would've detected and installed those.

Supernova GA is in Tier B with a 1 next to it, showing: "Units experiencing tripping issues with high transient power draw GPUs like AMD Vega, 6900 XT and nVidia RTX3080 / 3080 Ti / 3090."
Can't be possible, the 1070 hasn't touched my computer since before I wiped it... Could it have stayed somewhere?

Sep 22, 2021
The 1070 doesn't need to touch the PC.
For Geforce Experience, all it needs is a compatible driver package that's been sitting in one of your storage drives.
I see, I formatted my OS drive and my M.2, but maybe it grabbed something from my backup drive. As far as power supplies go, what would you recommend I get for my PC? 5600x 3080. Budget is flexible but would obviously prefer something intended for value. Doesn't need to be flashy as the Lian Li tower hides it. If you can't help find one I understand, this isn't the place to ask for recommendations, unless it is. I am not sure.

Sounds good, I will see if I can get a PSU thats recommended from that list, regarding being able to play games at the beginning of having a 3080, would that possibly deny that possibility? Im all ears by the way, just trying to make sure I got it all right.
Personally I would not be comfortable knowing a psu is being pushed so hard it is struggling. I have read of people undervolting the gpu in similar situations but to me it must still be running so close to the edge. With such expensive hardware I’d want a known top quality and adequate unit.

Sep 22, 2021
Personally I would not be comfortable knowing a psu is being pushed so hard it is struggling. I have read of people undervolting the gpu in similar situations but to me it must still be running so close to the edge. With such expensive hardware I’d want a known top quality and adequate unit.
Alright, so whether its the issue or not, I should upgrade the PSU, got it. I just ran UNIGINE Superposition and it didn't crash a single time. Does that still mean that it could be solely due to my PSU? Superposition had my GPU at 98%, VALORANT had it at 35% when it did run.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm recalling something I've done in the past.
When you run the installer, before it actually installs the driver, it prompts to install the driver's files somewhere - the C drive, by default.
You do have the option to change this, and I used to have those files installed elsewhere.
If I were to just one day wipe and reinstall Windows, and then rely on Geforce Experience, it'll find those files on the other drive if it's plugged in.

As for the psu, I'm not too good with that - I have to rely on psu tier lists myself.
Corsair RMX - avoid the non-X ones.
Adata's XPG Core Reactor
Super Flower Leadex III Gold

Sep 22, 2021
I'm recalling something I've done in the past.
When you run the installer, before it actually installs the driver, it prompts to install the driver's files somewhere - the C drive, by default.
You do have the option to change this, and I used to have those files installed elsewhere.
If I were to just one day wipe and reinstall Windows, and then rely on Geforce Experience, it'll find those files on the other drive if it's plugged in.

As for the psu, I'm not too good with that - I have to rely on psu tier lists myself.
Corsair RMX - avoid the non-X ones.
Adata's XPG Core Reactor
Super Flower Leadex III Gold
Would having these be somewhere else cause my 3080 drivers to corrupt in any way? Ill do a deep scan for any file containing GeForce in the name. Like I told sizzling, I just ran UNIGINE Superposition and it didn't crash a single time. Does that still mean that it could be solely due to my PSU? Superposition had my GPU at 98%, VALORANT had it at 35% when it did run.

Also, no matter what, I am still getting a different PSU.

Alright, so whether its the issue or not, I should upgrade the PSU, got it. I just ran UNIGINE Superposition and it didn't crash a single time. Does that still mean that it could be solely due to my PSU? Superposition had my GPU at 98%, VALORANT had it at 35% when it did run.
From what I read benchmarks and games are not the same. Benchmarks put a constant high load on the gpu. Games can have big spikes from low load to high and then back low and so on, it’s not a stable load. It is these very fast spikes (transient spikes) that some PSU’s struggle with even though they meet the maximum wattage requirement.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Would having these be somewhere else cause my 3080 drivers to corrupt in any way?
Negative.

Like I told sizzling, I just ran UNIGINE Superposition and it didn't crash a single time. Does that still mean that it could be solely due to my PSU? Superposition had my GPU at 98%, VALORANT had it at 35% when it did run.
That's just one sample from an app that 'hits' the gpu differently. There's not much to go on from just that.

Sep 22, 2021
From what I read benchmarks and games are not the same. Benchmarks put a constant high load on the gpu. Games can have big spikes from low load to high and then back low and so on, it’s not a stable load. It is these very fast spikes (transient spikes) that some PSU’s struggle with even though they meet the maximum wattage requirement.
Sounds good, from Phaaze's recommendation, I am leaning towards purchasing https://pcpartpicker.com/product/26...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020200-na (If I should go for something else, let me know. I feel uneasy paying for one that's recommended because I literally payed more for the one I have now)

Seems like my question has been answered. Thank you both @Phaaze88 @sizzling

Should I update this post after my PSU arrives?

Sounds good, from Phaaze's recommendation, I am leaning towards purchasing https://pcpartpicker.com/product/26...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020200-na (If I should go for something else, let me know. I feel uneasy paying for one that's recommended because I literally payed more for the one I have now)

Seems like my question has been answered. Thank you both @Phaaze88 @sizzling

Should I update this post after my PSU arrives?
The RM850x is a commonly recommended unit, high quality and usually well priced.

Please do keep us updated.

@sizzling @Phaaze88
No luck. Got the RM850x, installed it. Graphics drives still crashing. Is there any other things I can test before RMA? Like I said, benchmarks work, games don't.
At this point the only thing I can think of is trying it on a different pc. Can a friend try it in their pc or a local computer store? If the problem follows the gpu then it would seem to be faulty.

Sep 22, 2021
At this point the only thing I can think of is trying it on a different pc. Can a friend try it in their pc or a local computer store? If the problem follows the gpu then it would seem to be faulty.
No, I don't have any real life friends that could possibly run this on their computer. I guess Ill go ahead and RMA. Thanks for trying to help!