[SOLVED] 3080 bottlenecked by 3700x?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Hi.
With the new Nvidia cards launching just in 2 weeks, im doing final touches for my build wishlist. I have started off the build with 10700k as it significantly outperforms 3700x in games(5-20fps), for not too much more money.

As the thought of the build matured, and i got more acquainted with the new features of the 3000-gen, it changed my mind and currently i have a 3700x in my wishlist. My turningpoint was the PCIe 4.0 support for Ryzen. From what Moores law is dead has said recently, 4.0 will allow better performance for the new cards.

My question is, will the 3700x bottleneck the 3080 Is there a better alternative atm, which is also futureproof? Should i just get 3700x and then switch to the 4000-series AMD cpus when they launch, in what i have heard, not such a long time?

Edit: To clear up the question. My definition of bottleneck is somewhere of about 10+fps loss.
Edit2: My monitor MSI Optix MAG322CQR (1440p 165Hz)

Last edited:
Solution
Edit: To clear up the question. My definition of bottleneck is somewhere of about 10+fps loss.
Edit2: My monitor MSI Optix MAG322CQR (1440p 165Hz)
Thats not what "bottleneck" does or means.

Basically, the CPU provides the framerate, the GPU provides the eyecandy.

The CPU will output what it does.
The GPU can either handle being served that framerate and output the desired graphics, or it cannot.

The new 3xxx series can accept whatever framerate current CPUs can provide, and give whatever eyecandy the game and your settings dictate.

If you were to pair that 3080 with a much older CPU, the CPU can't provide enough frames per sec that the GPU can handle.
The GPU would just be loafing along.
In this instance, the older CPU would...