[SOLVED] 3080 - MSI X Trio VS ASUS Strix

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Hello, im 1 hour away from the 3080 launch where i live, and im torn between MSI and ASUS models. The price of MSI is 1033USD (9 390NOK) and the ASUS is 1121USD (10 190NOK), here in Norway. As you can see, some price difference.

The build im going for is white themed, and from the looks of these cards, ASUS looks like it might fit in better, but i dont want my choice to be based purely on looks.

-What is the reason (suspected reason at least, due to lack of reviews) for the MSI being cheaper?
-What makes ASUS card better (maybe you can tell from experience with previois MSI vs ASUS), if at all?
-Which would you go for?

Also, im considering doing some overclocks to the card, and both require 3x8pin, so thats good. However im not experienced overclocker at all, so i dont really know how hard im gonna push.

Anyways, leave your thoughts, hopefully before the launch where im at.

Solution
What you talking about? 3DGuru review states that their card drew 360W.

"Power consumption of the Gaming X might look scary at first: triple 8-pin power inputs, up to 425 W in Furmark, 315 W typical gaming. Actually, if we take the performance gain over FE into account there's no loss in power efficiency—4% faster, 4% more power. Good, usually custom designs compromise on some efficiency to achieve higher performance. While three 8-pins are a little bit more complicated to use than dual 8-pins, it's a reasonable choice, as that gave MSI enough power headroom to achieve meaningful performance gains. That's why I find it surprising that MSI has set the manual power limit adjustment range for overclocking to just 350 W, which is...
Just my thoughts....I have had many ASUS products and I don't recall a failure. I recall failures of many other branded products I've owned (not necessarily MSI however). So that being said...I try to stick with ASUS when I can. I've had ASUS MBs...GPUs and displays.

As far as why is the MSI cheaper? From what I've seen ASUS has always been on the pricier side. As to why...I suppose we could speculate all day.

MSI all the way.

Asus i always had failure mobos, since A7N8X-X to my 2 M4A88 boards, all failures, asus cant make mobos, thats why i dont risk going GPU, in that regard, i'd never go XFX, all their cards fail, however, nothing I ever had MSI failed over the course of 10 years, so i'll keep going with it... so IMO, and thats just an opinion really, MSI.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Both are top cards models, and might not even be available today. I don't think they are ready yet.

I go with MSI, since I had MSI over the last view years and never had problems. But it doesn't matter. Both a great.

I know, it doesn't really matter, but I think the product design is nicer on the MSI products. But that's personal opinion, and a lot of folks don't care about it since the cards might be hidden in a closed case anyway....

Last edited:

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Both are top cards models, and might not even be available today. I don't think they are ready yet.

I go with MSI, since I had MSI over the last view years and never had problems. But it doesn't matter. Both a great.
Honestly not sure how my online store is gonna handle it. They have a countdown for the sale, but it might just be some sort of pre-order. Either way, i want to get the first batch. I can always cancel the order.

Regarding the comments so far. It seems like people are leaning both ways. Some have good experience and others have bad experience with both mentioned brands...My current GPU, the MSI 970 is now over 6 years old, and still runs fine.

We have the option to return items here within 14 days, for any reason, so if i change my mind with the X Trio, i can just change the card.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
First of all, only the lower end models were available at the store i bought from. So no X Trio or Strix. MSI Ventus was there, along with Zotac, Gigabyte and Palit.

I bought the X Trio, scheduled for delivery on 30th september...so another 2 weeks :(

mjbn1977

Distinguished
First of all, only the lower end models were available at the store i bought from. So no X Trio or Strix. MSI Ventus was there, along with Zotac, Gigabyte and Palit.

I bought the X Trio, scheduled for delivery on 30th september...so another 2 weeks :(

Unfortunately, I just read a review of the MSI X Trio, and even so they use 3x8pin connectors, they have limited the power to 350watts. Which is 20 watts lower than the founder edition...why MSI, WHY?????

mjbn1977

Distinguished

"Power consumption of the Gaming X might look scary at first: triple 8-pin power inputs, up to 425 W in Furmark, 315 W typical gaming. Actually, if we take the performance gain over FE into account there's no loss in power efficiency—4% faster, 4% more power. Good, usually custom designs compromise on some efficiency to achieve higher performance. While three 8-pins are a little bit more complicated to use than dual 8-pins, it's a reasonable choice, as that gave MSI enough power headroom to achieve meaningful performance gains. That's why I find it surprising that MSI has set the manual power limit adjustment range for overclocking to just 350 W, which is lower than the 370 W on the Founders Edition. Also, considering 3x 8-pin + slot power = 525 W power capability, a 350 W limit seems like a waste of that third power connector. "

Solution

mjbn1977

Distinguished
here from a different review:
"The RTX 3080 Gaming x TRIO suffers from not having a high enough Power Target. The base amount for all RTX 3080 is 320 watts, with the Founders Edition topping out at 368 watts once you enabled the 15% overhead in MSI afterburner or other third-party overclocking software. I was hoping that AIB partners like MSI would top this number, however, it seems that the Gaming X TRIO is limited to 350 watts total power draw (102%). Disappointing to say the least. Yet it didn't make a whole lot of a difference in with air cooling. "