superjohnny33

Commendable
Oct 6, 2021
I have an i7 9700k, gigabyte 3080ti, 16gb ddr4 3600mhz ram by trident (2 8gb sticks), aorus pro z390 motherboard, and an 850w psu. On a 144hz display 1080p (plan on upgrading to a 1440p 144hz). My system seems to be underperforming at every game it seems. Playing valorant I only got around 150 fps on low settings, GTA V I only got around 100ish fps on max 1080p, and most other games it seems to not be doing so well in as well. Please help and thank you.

Solution
1080P is CPU bottlenecked, so you are being limited more by your older i7 -9700K than the GPU (hence 100% CPU usage). I would recommend moving forward that upgrade to a 1440p monitor , which becomes more GPU bottlenecked and you'll see higher FPS (believe it or not).

You should be able to notice even if you lessen the eye-candy, your FPS doesn't change a bunch since it is CPU bottlenecked at that resolution versus GPU.

superjohnny33

Commendable
Oct 6, 2021
cpu temp sits around 46 idle then goes up to like 70 or around there. The usage of the CPU is 100 when underload. The GPU temp sits at around 54 then goes up to 60 or 70 under load but the usage never peaks higher than like 36 or something like that. At least that's what I have seen. Gpu also always say minimal load and I'm using the cam software. Ram is 16gb(2x 8gb) 3600mhz trident z. ssd Samsung 970 m.2 500gb , I also have 2 other 1tb hard drives and another 1tb SSD

tecmo34

Administrator
1080P is CPU bottlenecked, so you are being limited more by your older i7 -9700K than the GPU (hence 100% CPU usage). I would recommend moving forward that upgrade to a 1440p monitor , which becomes more GPU bottlenecked and you'll see higher FPS (believe it or not).

You should be able to notice even if you lessen the eye-candy, your FPS doesn't change a bunch since it is CPU bottlenecked at that resolution versus GPU.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I will give that a try thank you, but besides the monitored and CPU do you think anything else can be holding me back from getting more fps?

You could OC the heck out of the CPU, to the max it can possibly do.... and it's not going to change much. Short of a full platform upgrade (which would be a waste), there's nothing you can really do hardware-wise.

As @tecmo34 explained, you're CPU bottlenecked in those titles at the resolution/settings.

Upgrade the monitor (either nor or later), knowing that until you do, you're kind of stuck. A 3080TI really is wasted as 1080p, regardless of refresh rate.

You can test it if you need proof for yourself. I forget the setting name, but in the Nvidia control panel you can enable additional resolutions above native for your display (I want to say it's DLR, or something like that). Enable that, run your games at 1440p/High and I'm sure you'll see similar FPS or better, at the substantially higher resolution.

superjohnny33

Commendable
Oct 6, 2021
You could OC the heck out of the CPU, to the max it can possibly do.... and it's not going to change much. Short of a full platform upgrade (which would be a waste), there's nothing you can really do hardware-wise.

As @tecmo34 explained, you're CPU bottlenecked in those titles at the resolution/settings.

Upgrade the monitor (either nor or later), knowing that until you do, you're kind of stuck. A 3080TI really is wasted as 1080p, regardless of refresh rate.

You can test it if you need proof for yourself. I forget the setting name, but in the Nvidia control panel you can enable additional resolutions above native for your display (I want to say it's DLR, or something like that). Enable that, run your games at 1440p/High and I'm sure you'll see similar FPS or better, at the substantially higher resolution.

Thanks I will look for it in the Nvidia control pannel

superjohnny33

Commendable
Oct 6, 2021
"DSR - Factors" under "Manage 3D settings" is what I meant.

Yeah, I did it and was able to get a better frame which shows I just need a better monitor. I was getting 60 to 80 fps on 1080p for battlefield 2042. When I was just testing (DSR) it rn I got consistently around 110 to 140 with dips to about 70 on max settings. I really thought it was my CPU that was completely messed up and felt like I needed to upgrade my CPU which I plan on doing later this year with the release of the 12th gen processors by intel. Now that I know it's only the monitor that is keeping my graphics card from really performing this saves me a bit of time and money. Thanks for the help

Reactions: Barty1884