32 and 64 bit?

Danklin

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Can someone tell me why 32 bit and 64 bit is included with the retail version of Windows 7? I'm sure there is an easy answer i'm not thinking of. I read that if you use the 32 bit in one machine then you can't upgrade to a new machine capable of running 64 and install it from the disc that came with the 32 bit version. If this is indeed true, what in the world is the point? Again i'm sure its something stupid i'm not understanding.

Most people have trouble choosing between the 32bit and 64bit versions, so instead of selling them separately, MS bundled them together. In that way, if you install one and then later decide you want the other, you don't have to pay for it again.

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I agree with sminlal and Herr_Koos. The main thing to remember is Windows 7 comes with one license meaning it can be installed on one computer (at a time). If you decide to upgrade to a 64-bit machine, you will be able to installed Windows 7 from the 64-bit disc. However, if you have Windows 7 32-bit installed on another computer, you'll need to uninstall it. You would also need to call Microsoft in order to activate the Windows 7 on the machine running 64-bit.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

Danklin

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Wow that's a relief. Thanks a lot for the replies. I was under the impression i could't use one if i had already used the other. That wouldnt exactly be fair. Calling MS seems easy enough though. Thanks.