32-bit Windows XP on 64-bit Dell computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterV57

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I have a new Dell Vostro 3750 64-bit notebook, and after 3 months of unbelivably frustrating and agonizing experience with Win 7 and its XP Mode, I want to install plain old 32-bit Windows XP even at the cost of sacrificing the installed 8 GB memory. While attempting to install Win XP (both x32 and x64) it crashes with a blue screen. Somewhere on the net I read that on most branded computers this is deliberately done by the manufacturers who somehow cripple SATA drivers to prevent installation of other OS's. Any help?

Snoopy33

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Thank You Falcon.

Snoopy33

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

I sent an email. Thank you very much.

PeterV57

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Hello Daniel,

Long time ago I started this thread in my desperate attempts to install WinXP on my Dell 3750. I have just been notified of your contribution to this thread, and I would be extreeeemely grateful if you could share with me your driver download links and/or any other useful installation tips.

I am now retired and with extra spare time on my hands I wanted to finally finish a few pet projects, and for that all I needed and wanted was a big-screen laptop with a decent processor. Instead I ended up with a great laptop loaded with a crap called Win7 which I find totally unuseable. This laptop has now been sitting on a shelf gathering dust for the past 6 months, while I had to resuscitate my ORC (Old Reliable Clunker) desktop.

I have contacted the guy just above your message, M Beattie, who made a similar claim that he managed to find all required drivers, but after several requests it's obvious that he's not willing to share that info with anybody.

Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanx.

Peter (a.k.a. "PeterV57")
Toronto, Canada

danielsanchezpearson

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Hi Peter,

Of course I have no problem sharing the drivers with you and the community!

Where do you want me to upload them? I sent Cip (another user) the drivers the other day, but I'm afraid that if I upload them to my personal server the bandwidth (if the drivers are downloaded by a lot of people) might shoot up into the sky!

Is Megaupload/any other a good option? The compressed files is around 300 megs in size.

Regards from Spain.

Daniel

PeterV57

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Hello Daniel,

I have no experience with this issue . . . I did find the Megaupload web site and succesfully registered, but I have no experience in using it . . . no idea what the other options are . . . in the previous posting I gave you my email (on a second thought, probably not a good idea posting it on public sites) if you want to get in touch directly.

Regards,

Peter

PeterV57

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Hello Daniel,

I know it will sound dumb, but what is "PM" and where do I find the "download link on your site"? As I said, I have no experience with Megaupload and I am unable to find it - I feel like a schmuck - sorry about that . . .

cstamas82

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I have a Del Vostro 3750 notebook. I would like to install XP 32 bit. I have 2 problem. First: Video Card, Second: ACPI\SMO8800

What is your solutions?
The ACPI is a ST accelerometer (HDD protection) I download the driver but this device is not working properly ......
I don't find perfect video card driver.

danielsanchezpearson

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

Hi,

I have both devices working perfectly. If you want, send me a PM and I can give you my drivers download.

Regards

Ebisch

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I am in the same boat. I've got 2 Vostro 3750's that I need to get XP running on for work because niche engineering software never gets updated to run on modern systems. I've currently got everything but the LAN, video, and USB 3.0 running decently. So if I could get a link to those three that would be great.

cstamas82

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

USB3 Dell.com
Renesas-Driver
R299161.exe

It's Windows 7 driver but working in XP too

NVidia VGA
I didn't find correct driver for XP.

Intel VGA
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20612/eng/winxp_14468.zip&lang=eng&Dwnldid=20612&DownloadType=Drivers&ProductID=3319&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000%2f2000

Sorry I don't remember what is the correct LAN driver but I downloaded to notebook but the notebook is in my workplace. I will see on monday. Maybe you try the Win7 LAN driver RTL8111.

cstamas82

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.