32-Core Overclock: How I Pushed the Threadripper 3970X 1 GHz Over Its Limit

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Buy a tap set and thread your own rod? You dont need full threaded rod, just thread the end, and put whatever thread you want at the top for your nuts. it doesnt take very long to cut some threads.

Took me 1 minute of searching to find a $10 tap set(both hole and rod) for m3.5 x 0.6

Reactions: bit_user

Saberus

Distinguished
Overclocking a Threadripper feels like overclocking a server part? That's because it kinda is an EPYC variant that's tooled for HEDT.

And the socket mount is similar to what HPE used in their Gen8 ProLiants. It's a good system, fairly foolproof.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Buy a tap set and thread your own rod? You dont need full threaded rod, just thread the end, and put whatever thread you want at the top for your nuts. it doesnt take very long to cut some threads.

Took me 1 minute of searching to find a $10 tap set(both hole and rod) for m3.5 x 0.6
The only concern I'd have is what sort of material he needed, in order to exert that amount of force (and possibly withstand the temperatures?). Otherwise, I was thinking the same thing.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Overclocking a Threadripper feels like overclocking a server part? That's because it kinda is an EPYC variant that's tooled for HEDT.
I imagine what he meant was in terms of the lack of refinement, as the next sentence indicated:

There is a ton of refinement needed to get it on par with Intel in terms of OC features, and even control.

I think server parts aren't really designed to be overclocked. So, the point would be that if AMD wants to sell ThreadRippers to users wanting to OC (which the CPU can clearly handle), then they should put some more work into the feature set needed to facilitate it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
What is the point of such OC when you cant use it for long time ? using LN2 ?

for what exactly?
It's like asking what's the point of building dragsters or rigs for doing tractor-pulls. Some people just like seeing how far they can push the technology, even though it's totally impractical for normal use. There's another aspect of it, as well - just scratching the itch of curiosity. In this case, how would we know how fast modern CPUs could run on LN2, if nobody ever tried it?

Besides being fun to watch, I think there are probably some side-benefits for the rest of us, in the form of improvements they devise that eventually trickle down into the mainstream.

The same points could probably even be made about Olympic athletes, and their equipment & training regimes.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
What is the point of such OC when you cant use it for long time ? using LN2 ?
for what exactly? make world records that will run forever then be proud of it.
I can understand why this seems pointless. Until you understand that this in a necessary science that creates transparency to the general consumer. Much like you hope a bridge was tested in a lab before you drive across it. Stressing these parts verifies manufacturer claims and provides relevant real world data on reliability. 10 mins of LN2 can simulate months or even years of continuous operation. The fact that some people find it fun does not diminish its value. We would not have disc brakes on cars if it wasn't for auto racing.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Wow! Sounds like this chip is quite an awesome piece of silicon that could burn its way through the average person's needs when partnered with a proper discrete graphics card.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I can understand why this seems pointless. Until you understand that this in a necessary science that creates transparency to the general consumer. Much like you hope a bridge was tested in a lab before you drive across it. Stressing these parts verifies manufacturer claims and provides relevant real world data on reliability. 10 mins of LN2 can simulate months or even years of continuous operation. The fact that some people find it fun does not diminish its value. We would not have disc brakes on cars if it wasn't for auto racing.

Sorry , using LN2 does not simulate anything. it is Just overvlotage and that simulates nothing. the science here is null. it is just a fun factor and look I hit that hz for 15 minutes. Thats all about it. it does not give you any simulation.

No one tests devices to break within 10 minutes , Sciense tests is running it for repeating long time within boundaries of design . that is Real life .

I want to see world records on rnnung machines , I dont care if they use some very heavy or huge cooling equipment. I care that it can be used.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished

I want to see world records on rnnung machines , I dont care if they use some very heavy or huge cooling equipment. I care that it can be used.

I noticed that when people who don't like watching top fuel dragsters perform, they simply don't go to watch. They stay home and do the things they like to do. :)

In top fuel drag racing / boat racing, the engines need to be rebuilt after every run ...

Sure, not everyone likes this ... but some do. ;) These boats make over 10,000 horsepower, burn pure nitro-methane at the rate of 1 gallon per second. Twin counter rotating propellers, else the boat would twist over from the torque.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DKvpgaf9wQ

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
when partnered with a proper discrete graphics card.
Heh, I like how you tacked on that subtle dig. I get that using a low-power GPU leaves more watts for the CPU, but... a GeForce GT 640 is rather pathetic.

Worse, that 8-year-old card can burn a max of somewhere between 50 and 75 W. If simply going for low power, he could do better.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Like I said, I'm pretty confident that the OC community has benefited from lessons learned and tweaks made by & for the extreme overclockers. And the rest of us benefit from the mainstream overclockers, even if we use stock settings, by having having more reliable hardware with better margins and design tolerances.

Anyway, if you don't care, then just move along.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I want to see world records on rnnung (running?) machines , I dont care if they use some very heavy or huge cooling equipment. I care that it can be used.

In case you missed it, one of the bigger news items was buried in the middle of the article.

I achieved a score of 23,323 points with the Threadripper 3970X, beating the previous record of 17,027 with the Threadripper 2990WX, and well over Intel's flagship Xeon W-3175X at 4.8GHz that previously set a record at 17,000 points.

First off, let’s test the Enermax Liqtech TR4 II Series all-in-one water cooler. ... I blasted copious amounts of voltage to the cores with no sweat. I managed an impressive 4,450 MHz in Cinebench R20, hitting a peak of 78C on the hottest core as I blasted my way to a monsterous score of 19,600. Honestly, that is shockingly high.

So, there you go. A simple, off-the-shelf, all-in-one water cooler already beat the previous record. I don't know if those voltages are safe, but it's certainly a practical setup to run for everyday usage. Thank you, Splave.

Reactions: joeblowsmynose