Question 3200 Mhz RAM returns to 2133 after restart or shutdown

Sep 15, 2019
I have an X570 Gigabyte Aorus Elite motherboard with a set of Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200mhz RAM. I have the latest BIOS update (F5a) for my motherboard, the latest version of Windows 10 (1903) with all updates installed, and the XMP profile enabled in BIOS. I checked the QVL list for memory support on my motherboard website and bought the exact model that is supported on the list.

Whenever I restart my computer or shut down and boot, the RAM speed returns to 2133. It only stays at 3200 if I go back into BIOS, check that XMP is enabled (which it always already is) and Save & Exit and boot from there.

I am using the cmd > "wmic memorychip get speed" method to check my RAM speed. I noticed when playing some memory intensive games (namely Gears 5 on 4K Ultra) there are sharp stutters in cutscenes and gameplay when memory usage spikes and this only happens when the modules are running 2133 and not 3200.

Has anyone ever had this issue and found what the fix was? The good news is that I can get around it by starting from BIOS every time, but I shouldn't have to do this. Thanks.

Add'l info:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200mhz
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

Being on the QVL list means it will run at the default speed of the platform, which for yours is 2133mhz. QVL list does not mean it was tested at the full XMP profile configuration. Ever. (Edit: Unless it SPECIFICALLY states that it's been tested at that XMP profile (And just listing the speed without showing XMP verified, isn't the same) in a separate column on the QVL list.)

I don't know why you're using a command prompt string to find or monitor memory details. That's ridiculous in this day and age, plus, it's probably not showing you actual speed anyhow.

Download and install HWinfo. Run it. Choose the "sensors only" option and uncheck the "summary" option when prompted. Scroll down to the memory sensors section. You will find your current memory speed (half, since double data rate) and current timings.

WHICH DIMM slots do you have your memory modules installed in? They SHOULD be installed in the A2 and B2 slots, for all consumer dual channel motherboards although some manufacturers might give the slots different names like DDR4_1 and DDR4_2, but usually they are DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2. These are the only slots that should be used when only two memory modules are in use. If you are not in those two slots, you should move them there. If you are in those two slots, then it's one less thing we have to worry about.

If you are already certain you have your DIMMs installed in the two slots I explained, then I'd go into the BIOS and look for the memory fast boot setting. Do not confuse this with the regular fast boot setting. Them memory fast boot setting should be enabled after the first successful POST after enabling XMP. If XMP is enabled or you are overclocking your memory beyond what XMP can provide and you successfully POST and boot with no problems, then it is often wise to go into the BIOS and enable the memory fast boot setting so that the motherboard does not try to RE-train the memory every time it starts or restarts. Re-training could be the cause of your issue.

Are your two memory modules both from a single memory kit or were they purchased separately, regardless of whether or not they have the same part number?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019
Being on the QVL list means it will run at the default speed of the platform, which for yours is 2133mhz. QVL list does not mean it was tested at the full XMP profile configuration. Ever.

I don't know why you're using a command prompt string to find or monitor memory details. That's ridiculous in this day and age, plus, it's probably not showing you actual speed anyhow.

Download and install HWinfo. Run it. Choose the "sensors only" option and uncheck the "summary" option when prompted. Scroll down to the memory sensors section. You will find your current memory speed (half, since double data rate) and current timings.

WHICH DIMM slots do you have your memory modules installed in? They SHOULD be installed in the A2 and B2 slots, for all consumer dual channel motherboards although some manufacturers might give the slots different names like DDR4_1 and DDR4_2, but usually they are DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2. These are the only slots that should be used when only two memory modules are in use. If you are not in those two slots, you should move them there. If you are in those two slots, then it's one less thing we have to worry about.

If you are already certain you have your DIMMs installed in the two slots I explained, then I'd go into the BIOS and look for the memory fast boot setting. Do not confuse this with the regular fast boot setting. Them memory fast boot setting should be enabled after the first successful POST after enabling XMP. If XMP is enabled or you are overclocking your memory beyond what XMP can provide and you successfully POST and boot with no problems, then it is often wise to go into the BIOS and enable the memory fast boot setting so that the motherboard does not try to RE-train the memory every time it starts or restarts. Re-training could be the cause of your issue.

Are your two memory modules both from a single memory kit or were they purchased separately, regardless of whether or not they have the same part number?
The QVL list for my motherboard has a column titled "XMP", and within this column there is a check next to some memory modules and not others. The memory I purchased has a check mark on this XMP column so I was under the impression they were 1) approved for my board and 2) XMP compatible. The motherboard has an XMP profile for them in BIOS so I assume they can utilize it.

I was using the command prompt string to bring up the memory speed because I was told it's a reliable and fast way to do it. Is there a scenario where this method would list the incorrect speed? I downloaded HWInfo as you suggested and it seems to read the same thing that the cmd method does (2133 when 2133, and 3200 when 3200). Not sure what makes this method "ridiculous"..

The memory modules are installed in slots A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th furthest from the CPU) as instructed on both the motherboard and motherboard manual.

Both memory modules were purchased at the from Amazon and came in a package together (8GBx2).

Could you explain the "Fast Boot" method a bit more? I'm not extremely familiar with all of the settings in BIOS but I know how to do something as basic as enable XMP.

If they QVL has an XMP specific column, then I'd agree. It SHOULD be compatible.

Your motherboard doesn't "have" an XMP profile, for anything. The XMP profile is part of the memory module.

Verifying via HWinfo is good, and while I can't say for certain in this case it seems that I've run into situations where cmd, Memtest and a few other utilities were all misreporting the active memory speed and were instead reporting default JEDEC profile specifications rather than actual current settings. So I always like to verify that way regardless. Even CPU-Z has been known to misreport and anything built into Windows is suspect when it comes to deviations away from stock configurations. Windows resource monitor for example is OFTEN inaccurate and is sometimes one of the worst possible methods of trying to see what's what with anything that matters at all.

A2/B2 is good, one less thing to have to worry about. Let me look into exactly where (Or IF) the memory fast boot settings exist in your BIOS. Not every board, or every board by every manufacturer, implements the memory fast boot setting or might call it something different, much as not all of them implement Ultra fast boot like some ASRock and Gigabyte boards do. Unfortunately, almost every board manufacturer also doesn't cover the majority of the settings found in the BIOS in their user manuals either so I may or may not have success finding that setting but we'll see what shakes out. I'm pretty sure it has to be there somewhere because it would be pretty dumb for them to leave only a full memory training or else fast boot that applies to all settings, as the only options. I've seen bigger blunders though.

What is the EXACT model of your memory kit?

What is the DRAM voltage set to when you enable XMP?

What are the timings showing up as when XMP is enabled, 3200mhz is working and you look at the memory section in HWinfo? Timings should be listed there. I don't want the profile timings, necessarily, I want what the timings are ACTUALLY at because Ryzen generally will change odd timings to even timings, despite what the profile states.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Other things.

Ryzen Master is handy. Windows power plan should be set for balanced.

That mobo, with a 3rd gen cpu should run 3200 ram as a default, doesn't require XMP settings. You may need to manually set the ram clocks and primary timings.

I doubt it's a ram issue. As such. More likely it's a cpu issue. For some odd reason, the 3700x does not like 3200MHz ram, especially if it's dual rank. At post, the issue is noticed and the bios returns to the last known stable settings, which happen to be 2133. That cpu is best paired with 3600MHz.

The ram might be perfectly compatible with the mobo, but that's not to say it's kosha with the cpu.