[SOLVED] 3200 Mhz RAM running at 2133 Mhz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
So I had 1 stick of 8GB 2133 Mhz RAM. I bought 2x8 GB 3200Mhz RAM from GSKILL(TRIDENT Z) and installed them in dual channel. When i cheked cpu-z, the ram was running at 2133Mhz. How can I fix this? My motherboard is an asrock a320M pro4 and may cpu is a ryzen 1500x. Btw I checked my motherboard's max speed supported and it supports 3200Mhz. Thanks.

Edit: i could't install my RAM in A1 and B1 slots, because the cooler is blocking the a1 slot and i would have to remove the cooler . I installed the Ram sticks in a2 and b2. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes it is an outdated BIOS, which is fine, when you're not encountering an issue! But I understand your trepidation, especially if you are experiencing power cuts, if so, get someone else to do it who maybe has a UPS for example.

Due to the date of your BIOS, you'll also have to do it incrementally, as some of the later BIOS versions require specific previous versions to build on. But you'll probably find later BIOS versions also come with XMP stability improvements.

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
You should already have the latest BIOS; when nothing is working or strange things happening, it is best to update to the latest version to rule out any compatibility update possibility.

Do that and then enable XMP to see if it can boot, if not, manually lower DRAM Frequency until it can. Report back with results and we can get a better idea to move from there.
I don't want to upgrade the bios myself as I might screw things up. When I either enable xmp or manually set the frequency(tried with 2400Mhz) then save changes and exit, the pc turns on and of a few times and then boots. When I check the frequencies, they are at 2133Mhz.

EDIT: I read it wrong, now I see that you mentioned to do that after updating the bios. Sorry.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't want to upgrade the bios myself as I might screw things up. When I either enable xmp or manually set the frequency(tried with 2400Mhz) then save changes and exit, the pc turns on and of a few times and then boots. When I check the frequencies, they are at 2133Mhz
Problem is this could well be due to BIOS compatibility / stability.
Honestly, the only time it ever really goes wrong, is if the PC loses power during the flash.

https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10
What BIOS version do you currently have?

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Problem is this could well be due to BIOS compatibility / stability.
Honestly, the only time it ever really goes wrong, is if the PC loses power during the flash.

https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10
What BIOS version do you currently have?
Well earlier today my power went down so...
Here is my bios version
View: https://imgur.com/a/b61VFEo

It is in portuguese, means BIOS version/date and SMBIOS version

Edit: Yeah, pretty old xD

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes it is an outdated BIOS, which is fine, when you're not encountering an issue! But I understand your trepidation, especially if you are experiencing power cuts, if so, get someone else to do it who maybe has a UPS for example.

Due to the date of your BIOS, you'll also have to do it incrementally, as some of the later BIOS versions require specific previous versions to build on. But you'll probably find later BIOS versions also come with XMP stability improvements.

Solution

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019

Thanks for the advice! I will see what I can do, but even if i don't overclock my Ram, I am already happy with the results I got from this upgrade

Reactions: PC Tailor