3200MHz memory unstable past auto setting (2133MHz)

nerroseu

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
I've just bought an 8x2GB Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series for my PC rated at 3200MHz, However, I have encountered the issue of the PC not loading into windows 10 (BSOD) with any DRAM speed faster than Auto (2133MHz). I've played games with the Auto Speed for some time with no issues. This is my second 8x2GB Patriot Viper DRAM kit and it's quite odd because I can get my initial (exactly the same) Patriot Viper Kit 3200MHz stable with 1.5V. I just bought the additional memory because I do alot of memory intensive work that requires a little more than 16GB.

My system has a Ryzen 1700X CPU with an Asus Prime X370 Pro motherboard.

I have ran Windows Memory Diagnostic to check if there are any memory issues with the New RAM but it didn't detect any. But I was still wondering if the memory may be faulty? Or is 1st gen Ryzen is just that picky with memory still even with all the updates?

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Two potential problems.
1. Yes, ryzen is picky about ram.
Not all DDR4 will work.
Ram should be on the motherboard ram support list or explicitly supported by patriot on their ram selection app.

2. Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

You may find that increasing the ram voltage in the bios can help.

There may be motherboard bios updates that are applicable.

A more comprehensive ram test is memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
Some people will do 3 or more passes.

................addendum...............
This info might explain:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=48164&width=800&height=800

nerroseu

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
It just seems strange that this RAM kit would respond so different from my the exact RAM kit I have, I'll perform the memtest 86 to see if it may be potentially defective.

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006

nerroseu

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
I performed 2 successful passes using Memtest86 with the intial Patriot Viper Series 16GB kit. I set the memory speed to 3000MHz. Using the same frequency, I performed the test using the new 16GB kit of the same memory and encountered a series of errors immediately off the bat. The test is actually still running,,,,See the following links below for the pictures I took;

https://mega.nz/#!N65w2QCQ!vJoUuZ75PcSyGQNT33YWhanpW4ewc6L01Xw5467gpGY

https://mega.nz/#!tu42RQJQ!XwOkk7avePZPsetNzR_xLYTOSNmd0lsaryFa6qnKkpA

nerroseu

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
So I've finished running Memtest 86 with the new Patriot Viper RGB kit and I am starting to suspect the RAM may be faulty. With XMP settings off and RAM is set to Auto (2133MHz default speed). Memtest 86 doesn't show any errors after 3 passes. However, if I go to increase the frequency any level above 2133MHz even without setting XMP, I receive numerous errors, even if i increase the DRAM voltage all the way up to 1.45V.