Question 3600mhz RAM won't run higher than 3000mhz without crashing ?

Jan 26, 2024
I am having issues getting my Ram (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB CMW32GX4M2D3600C18) to run at it's recommended speed (3600mhz). I have a B550-F (Asus Strix) Mobo, and a R5 5600x CPU.

My system works fine under the default settings, no crashing etc. However, if I enable DOCP / tweak the settings manually, my system will crash at random times. If gaming it crashes within 1-5 minutes of launching, sometimes even if the PC is idle.

I've tried updating my BIOS, which did change the outcome.

TIA.

Jan 26, 2024
Unfortunately not. Should have said that in the original post.

Additionally, I was of the understanding that AMD Motherboards didn't have XMP but used DOCP?

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just using XMP profiles (trying to not complicate things), have you tried a lower speed, like 3200 or 3000.

Regardless of marketing, not all memory will run at rated speeds, in all systems.

By the way, is your motherboard BIOS fully updated to the most recent version?

Jan 26, 2024
Possibly not the MOST recent, but it was updated this past summer.

I wasn't aware that not all RAM wouldn't reach it's rated speed. It is running fine at 2800.

Jan 26, 2024
You should have a section where you select memory profiles. That section.
I was able to update my BIOS to the most up to date, January 8, 2024.

There is no X-AMP, only a D.O.C.P profile that sets my timings to whatever, and my clockspeeds to 3600mhz. I got to the loading screen within Warzone and my pc BSOD'd.

If I manually adjust the clockspeed to 3200mhz with the DOCP profile it seems stable. Would really like to get the full 3600 out of it though...

I was able to update my BIOS to the most up to date, January 8, 2024.

There is no X-AMP, only a D.O.C.P profile that sets my timings to whatever, and my clockspeeds to 3600mhz. I got to the loading screen within Warzone and my pc BSOD'd.

If I manually adjust the clockspeed to 3200mhz with the DOCP profile it seems stable. Would really like to get the full 3600 out of it though...
DOCP uses the XMP profiles on the memory kit, it's what ASUS named their way of handling memory kit timing profiles.

You can probably skip testing at lower speed. Just set the 3600 CL18 DOCP profile and then usually in the same location, you can increase dram voltage to 1.37 or 1.4v. Also make sure you installed the memory modules in slots A2 and B2. |CPU| [A1|A2|B1|B2]

I see people having this problem all the time with Ryzen and DDR4 kits at 3600MT/s and higher, unstable XMP profiles and usually the only thing that makes it stable is bumping up voltage slightly. 1.4v is safe for 24/7 usage, but you probably only need 1.37 from 1.35 volts.

Jan 26, 2024
DOCP uses the XMP profiles on the memory kit, it's what ASUS named their way of handling memory kit timing profiles.

You can probably skip testing at lower speed. Just set the 3600 CL18 DOCP profile and then usually in the same location, you can increase dram voltage to 1.37 or 1.4v. Also make sure you installed the memory modules in slots A2 and B2. |CPU| [A1|A2|B1|B2]

I see people having this problem all the time with Ryzen and DDR4 kits at 3600MT/s and higher, unstable XMP profiles and usually the only thing that makes it stable is bumping up voltage slightly. 1.4v is safe for 24/7 usage, but you probably only need 1.37 from 1.35 volts.
Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

I'll check this out later this evening :)

Jan 26, 2024

Tried this and got another crash.

Got the following from a crash report...

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
Code: 3b
Parameter 1: c0000005
Parameter 2: fffff8012b192f4b
Parameter 3: ffffbe09d2adeba0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_22000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.22000.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 4105

Tried this and got another crash.

Got the following from a crash report...
Looks like possible corrupted Windows install due to the ram causing crashing. In command prompt with admin privileges, you will need to run the DISM commands and then after that, run the sfc /scannow command.

First, set your ram back to automatic settings in BIOS, then load into Windows.

Try following the this guide. You may not need to bother with the install.wim file replacement.
https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...-use-dism-to-repair-local-image-on-windows-11

If the repair scans don't help, you may either need to do extra tweaking of the ram timings and voltage, or if you don't want to go through all that (I don't blame anyone who wouldn't,) I'd say send the ram back if still within the return window or RMA the ram with Corsair. I would also consider getting a different ram kit with better timings (lower is better)

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
I recommend turning off the d.o.c.p and resetting everything back to default
Now set voltage to 1.4 and freq to the amount you want like 3600mhz
Boot and test
If it's not ok: try one option lower like 3466mhz and keep doing it until you get a stable one
If it's ok then you good to go or do this optional hard complicated thing: go to timing options and change them to get as tight as you can with all the timing settings

Btw you are using a discrete gpu not an igpu so no need to worry about ram freq and timings! Changing these options would give like 1-2 fps at all!
You'd better focus on GPU oc :D

Good luck

Jan 26, 2024
I recommend turning off the d.o.c.p and resetting everything back to default
Now set voltage to 1.4 and freq to the amount you want like 3600mhz
Boot and test
If it's not ok: try one option lower like 3466mhz and keep doing it until you get a stable one
If it's ok then you good to go or do this optional hard complicated thing: go to timing options and change them to get as tight as you can with all the timing settings

Btw you are using a discrete gpu not an igpu so no need to worry about ram freq and timings! Changing these options would give like 1-2 fps at all!
You'd better focus on GPU oc :D

Good luck
Never knew about your point re discrete GPU / timings. However, I turned my voltage up to 1.43 and it is stable at 3600 with DOCP enabled.

Honestly I was afraid to touch voltages until @Third-Eye recommended it above and said it would be fine 24/7 @ 1.4. I don't leave my PC on 24/7 so I figured i'd try to step it up to max of 1.45, but it was stable at 1.43. It's been like 2 years trying to figure this out lol.

Next I need to learn how to OC my GPU >.<.

TY all!

Reactions: troyer1234567

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Never knew about your point re discrete GPU / timings. However, I turned my voltage up to 1.43 and it is stable at 3600 with DOCP enabled.

Honestly I was afraid to touch voltages until @Third-Eye recommended it above and said it would be fine 24/7 @ 1.4. I don't leave my PC on 24/7 so I figured i'd try to step it up to max of 1.45, but it was stable at 1.43. It's been like 2 years trying to figure this out lol.

Next I need to learn how to OC my GPU >.<.

TY all!
Ryzen CPUs are totally fine for voltages below 1.5V BUT it's better to stay below 1.45 or even better below 1.4V

Good luck