[SOLVED] 3600XT reaching 110c in stress test and computer restarting by itself

MarkB94

Prominent
Oct 6, 2020
My system restarted by itself while I was playing a CPU/RAM intensive game. I decided to run the blended Prime95 stress test with temps monitored through Core Temp and MSI Afterburner to see if it was a problem with my hardware and not the game, everything was fine on the first test with temps stable at 85c. Almost immediately after the second test started the temps quickly shot up to 110c and Core Temp didn't show any automatic underclocking so I stopped the test after 5 seconds of this.

The CPU is running at 4.25Ghz with no overclocking, I'm using the stock Wraith cooler and I have five Corsair SP120 case fans. I upgraded to the Ryzen 5 3600XT a week ago and also upgraded my motherboard and RAM so I think it might be a bad CPU, or RAM since I'm not overclocking with the stock cooler. I was having the stability issue with my PC restarting by itself during a stress test on day one of the upgrade but after reinstalling the chipset drivers the issue seemed to go away so I chalked it down to the chipset drivers not being installed correctly however I didn't run the stress test for very long the second time around.

The problem with the CPU temps may or may not be related to the system restarts, I've been monitoring the temps while gaming and the CPU never climbed above 82c but this could be because my GPU is bottlenecking in other games.

Is there a stress test or some other way of telling me if its the CPU or RAM that is causing the system restarts? are there any troubleshooting steps I can try?

My specs
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 (XMP Enabled)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 4GB

GaGP95J.png

Solution
you should just replace the stock cooler with a better one, if your temps are way past marginal no amount of paste is gonna fix it.

you say you're not OC'ed but stock clock is 3.8GHz so you are in fact OC'ed and need a better cooler

MarkB94

Prominent
Oct 6, 2020
Have you tried reseating the cpu cooler? (cleaning off the old paste and reapplying new etc?)
Ok so I replaced the stock thermal paste with Jet Art nano diamond thermal paste and ran the stress test again, this time it hit 107c on test 2 in the blended Prime95 stress test, which is better but it is still not underclocking and way over the max temperature for the CPU. It did perform a lot better in test 1, with stable temps at 67c vs 85c with the stock paste

Edit:
NmoEehH.png

swF200M.png

Last edited:

MarkB94

Prominent
Oct 6, 2020
How are the fans arranged in the case?
2 push fans at the front, 2 pull fans on top and 1 pull fan on back. The 2 at the top and one at the back are Corsair SP120 RGB fans and the 2 at the front came with the case so they are probably lower quality

you should just replace the stock cooler with a better one, if your temps are way past marginal no amount of paste is gonna fix it.

you say you're not OC'ed but stock clock is 3.8GHz so you are in fact OC'ed and need a better cooler
I haven't messed with the clock speeds at all so it probably just shipped like that, I do plan on replacing it soon but I need to make sure there's no problems

MarkB94

Prominent
Oct 6, 2020
Thank you all for your help, with lowering the clock speeds to 3.8Ghz and getting a max temp of 98c in the torture test, I shouldn't see anymore system restarts while gaming and if I do at least I'll be able to rule out my CPU as the culprit.

Thank you all for your help, with lowering the clock speeds to 3.8Ghz and getting a max temp of 98c in the torture test, I shouldn't see anymore system restarts while gaming and if I do at least I'll be able to rule out my CPU as the culprit.
Oh I thought it was just restarting in prime95. What case do you have? I mean well you have a solution but it comes with a 10% performance loss

MarkB94

Prominent
Oct 6, 2020
Oh I thought it was just restarting in prime95. What case do you have? I mean well you have a solution but it comes with a 10% performance loss
My case is the Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega, with 5 120mm fans, 2 intake at the front and 3 exhaust at the top and back
This is not normal behavior for the stock cooler on the 3600xt, and it definitely should not be at nearly 100c underclocked to 3.8ghz. I suspect something is wrong with your stock cooler installation, or case airflow.

I would take off the cooler clean off thermal paste, then reapply it.
I will try re-applying the thermal paste again today

I'm still having problems with the system restarting, this time I had been monitoring the temps on my second monitor and they didn't surpass 82c so I'm 99% sure its not the CPU overheating. I've got a 600w CoolerMaster PSU and using the OuterVision online power supply calculator, I can see that my system only needs 480w so I'm also ruling out that as the culprit. Is there any other components that can cause an automatic system restart other than the RAM?

MarkB94

Prominent
Oct 6, 2020
I re-applied the thermal paste again, this time I used a bit less and I'm seeing slightly better temps but still hitting 95-97c under stress test