[SOLVED] 3700x, BF450F, High EDC under load

Jun 1, 2020
Hi,

I recently built a pc with 3700x CPU (with wraith stock cooler), BF450F board, RTX 2060 GPU, 16go RAM. Everything runs smoothly. Temps go from 35 to 45 with low EDC idle and 55 to low 70 but high EDC (90% and above, sometimes 100%) under load. I haven't overclocked anything. Using Ryzen Master to monitor the temps, edc etc. I should also mention I'm using windows balanced power option. Is it anything to worry about? Should it be fixed?

Thanks,

Marvin

If temps under load never go beyond 80°C nothing to worry about it. (You can have small time spikes over 80°C and nothing to worry about it either).

As for the EDC mark, is normal if you put load on the CPU to need more power juice to do the heavy working. As long as it goes down and up according to the load I believe it should be fine. PTT, TDC and EDC limits are defined by AMD for each CPU and should be under the safe zone as long as it said MAX -> PPT 88W / TDC 60A/ EDC 90A.

Cheers!

Reactions: SuperMandrill
Jun 1, 2020
If temps under load never go beyond 80°C nothing to worry about it. (You can have small time spikes over 80°C and nothing to worry about it either).

As for the EDC mark, is normal if you put load on the CPU to need more power juice to do the heavy working. As long as it goes down and up according to the load I believe it should be fine. PTT, TDC and EDC limits are defined by AMD for each CPU and should be under the safe zone as long as it said MAX -> PPT 88W / TDC 60A/ EDC 90A.

Cheers!

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it!

Reactions: RodroX

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I doubt it is related BUT if you want you can use the Performance Enhancer Setting on the AI Tweaker page of the BIOS to increase PPT, TDC & EDC.
Choosing Level 2 or 3 Performance Enhancer will raise those settings to values selected by Asus (and the Stilt).
Here is a pic of my BIOS with it set at level 3 (OC).
View: https://imgur.com/iQ2Vggg

Solution
Jun 1, 2020
I doubt it is related BUT if you want you can use the Performance Enhancer Setting on the AI Tweaker page of the BIOS to increase PPT, TDC & EDC.
Choosing Level 2 or 3 Performance Enhancer will raise those settings to values selected by Asus (and the Stilt).
Here is a pic of my BIOS with it set at level 3 (OC).
View: https://imgur.com/iQ2Vggg

Thanks for the clarification. I'll take a look at my BIOS Performance Enhancer settings.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
PS
Here is info about the Performance Enhancer settings that I found on reddit some time back:
Information to note when using Performance Enhancer.
With eXtended Frequency Range (XFR) version 2, there are configurable options which can increase boost frequencies and duration.
The available options are PPT, TDC and EDC under “Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Common Options\Precision Boost Override Configuration”.
The BIOS item “Performance Enhancer“ tunes these options in a simple way.
Level 1 and 2 rely only on the AMD provided options mentioned.
Level 3 and 4 has a few tweaks of our own (with the help from The Stilt) which causes XFR to always boost to the highest possible frequency.
When using Level 3/4, make sure to use the Balanced power profile, or adjust the “Minimum Processor State” to below 50% on your preferred profile.
Otherwise, Core Performance Boost (CPB) will not work properly and single threaded performance will suffer. Additionally there’s a grace period of roughly a minute after entering the operating system until P-states are engaged properly.
Each CPU is different and boosts to different frequencies, the same settings on two different samples will give different results.
The increased frequencies might be too high for some CPUs or require additional voltage.
When using this function, it’s best to rely on Offset Mode for the CPU Core Voltage.

Disclaimer - You will want to have a board with an adequate VRM and liquid cooling to keep thermals in check when using the higher levels because things can get a little toasty.
Disclaimer 2 - Levels 3 and 4 probably should not be run 24/7 or under long sustained load. Bad things could happen.

Level 1 & 2 are using constraints recommended by AMD for silicon reliability and life span.
Level 3 & 4 are enhanced versions by the Stilt and ASUS and is basically an overclock. From what i remember, they ignore power and current limits to achieve higher clocks.
Level 3 & 4 (4 especially) can put quite a high voltage through the chip 1.5v+ under lower core workloads which is quite bad for silicon reliability over the long term. You can of course and as others have said set a negative offset in the BIOS and see if your still stable. Although i found that while under all core load my voltages were nice, under lesser core workloads it still sat constantly at 1.45-1.49v, which i didnt like.