Question 3700x blue screening, tried different ram modules and still does it.

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
this is my teachers, he upgraded to a 5800x and is now sending this into me to see if i can get it to work. he says it was doing it for a while randomly, and he thinks it a memory problem with the cpu, could there be any other problems with it?

Last edited:
this is my teachers, he upgraded to a 5800x and is now sending this into me to see if i can get it to work. he says it was doing it for a while randomly, and he thinks it a memory problem with the cpu, could there be any other problems with it?

reset the bios to default settings and update the bios. see if issue persists. if he didnt update the bios the cpu might not have the right microcode to work properly or the board recognizes its a 5800x but it isn't working properly because of the board doesnt have the right bios.

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
What RAM and at which speed ? Is it in right slots ? XMP enabled ? 5800x can work with higher speed RAM than 3700x.
He said he ran it on xmp, I’m also gonna assume it was 3600mhz, he probably had it in the right slot. He recommended oc ing it to see if that helps.

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
sorry, 3200 mhz. he said he was running all 8 gig sticks and now hes running two 16 gig sticks, could having more than 2 sticks cause a random blue screen?
ram must be in slots 2/4

and the speed 3200 is max the chip supports. its not guaranteed to run higher then that.

sorry, 3200 mhz. he said he was running all 8 gig sticks and now hes running two 16 gig sticks, could having more than 2 sticks cause a random blue screen?
if the sticks where never part of a set quad set then yes it can cause a blue screen mainly due to small differences in latency and timings.

example i could buy corsair vengeance 4gb sticks at 3200 but there's no guarantee if i buy say another 4gb stick later of same memory that its gonna work in duel channel. this is due to diffrent batches of ram.

a kit is from the same batch so it will work fine.

so 2 different batch kits can conflict.

Reactions: jordanbuilds1