Question PC Random Crashes

Jun 16, 2024
Hello everyone,

I´ve been getting random crashes for the last couple of months to black screen. Monitor losses signal, PC will not turn off nor restart but for example any audio freezes as well (a few seconds after the monitor goes black). Sometimes fans go into overdrive and start running full speed but it is in minority of crashes. It usually happens when I´m gaming but it got much worse in the past week and I also got it a couple of times when watching youtube. First thing I thought is that it may be a CPU problem because it was running hot and I noticed all the issues and back-and-forths between MoBo manafucturers and Intel when it comes to 13th and 14th gen processors. When I was running benchmarks (Cinebench, 3DMark), CPU got hot fast and started reaching 100 degrees celsius quick. However, I updated and enforced limits in bios, reapplied thermal paste and CPU temperature seems to be under control now with stable temperatures even during stress tests. Thought that may have solved my problem but it still occurs. I tried running memtest86, no errors found. However, when I tried running windows memory diagnostic, computer crashed during the test (it turned off that time), not sure if it may be a clue or completely unrelated incident. I also turned on dumps but no files are generated during the crashes. Event viewer shows Event ID 41, other than that there are only common events. Every driver is updated. I also tried to do a clean reinstall of Windows.
When I underclocked CPU in intel extreme tuning, the stability seems to be better and crashes are much less frequent which brings me back to the CPU as a possible cause. But it sometimes happens even if I do that.

Kinda running out of ideas what to do, so I´d appreciate any help. I´m attaching a log from HWInfo which I had running when the crash occurred. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me might spot something.

CPU: Intel i9 13900KF
CPU cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i Elite LCD
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WIFI D4 (DDR4)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)
SSD/HDD: Seagate FireCuda 530, M.2 - 2TB
GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Ventus
PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum - 1200W
Chassis: NZXT H9 Elite
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF

Every component is from March 2023

Last edited:
Hey there,

In my experience freezes like that are memory related.

You can run memtest86+ outside of Windows (on bootable thumb drive) and run the program. If you have any errors, then it means your ram is faulty.

What bios are you running? Intel have recently released it's Intel Default Settings bios, which may help here.

Jun 16, 2024
Hi,
thanks for the reply. I already ran memtest86 on a bootable drive and no issues were found (but strangely, computer crashed when running windows memory diagnostic). As for BIOS, I´m running the newest one (asus 1658). Upgraded when I was focused on the CPU as a problem as I wrote above.

Jun 15, 2024
I also have the same cpu and am having very similar issues to you right now with stability. However, your crashes sound very similar to ones I had a few months ago with my rtx 4080 and it ended up being the 12vhpwr cable that gives it power.