czcina

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Hi all.

I trying for 2 days to overclock my Ryzen 3700x.
It's my first Ryzen chip so I'm confused where to begin.
Ryzen Master doesn't work as I would like to.
When I tried to auto OC with my Asus AI Suite 3 it went as far as 4250Mhz all cores. I can run benchmarks, prime95, cinebench no problems.
I decided to try Ryzen Master then.
Loaded stock bios, went into Ryzen Master, set up ( knowing that 4250 was running just fine ) 4200 clicked apply and crash... just when applied, could not even run a single benchmark!
Voltage readings are ALL different on all programs. CPUZ: 1.296V, HWinfo64: 1.100V, some other ones 1.45V...
I'm lost with all that PB, PBO.
Can't even run it at advertised speed ( 4.4Ghz ) :(
-Ryzen Performance Plan ON
-Latest Windows
-Latest bios
-Kraken X62
-Asus Crosshair Hero VIII
-3700X

Even running benchmarks at 4.25GHz my temps were fine, around 70ish, so temps aren't the problem.
Any Ryzen users here that could advise me whats the best way to max out 3700x ? CPU looks decent, mobo should be fine for some OC.

At the moment I have 16GB G.Skill ( Samsung die ) running at 3000MHz 15, 16, 16, 35 @1.35V ( XMP profile - works fine , no problems there... )
PBO Enabled / Manual, limited by Motherboard with + 200Mhz and on top of that AI Suite from Asus OC'ed to 4.25GHz. It works, but it feels like I'm doing one thing from 3 different angles ... what I mean by that is, a bit of my OC is from Asus software, a bit manual BIOS tweaks and a bit of Ryzen doing Ryzen stuff... it's a bit too messy.
Was hoping that either Ryzen master can set it all up and off I go, or just in bios manual tweaks and off I go, hope it make sense ;)
any advice greatly appreciated

CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard: ROG Crosshair Hero VIII
Ram: G.SKILL 16GB 2x8GB 3000MHz, 15, 16, 16, 35
SSD/HDD: Samsung Evo 960 Nvme boot / SSHD storage
GPU: 1060 6GB EVGA SC
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 Gold
Chassis: NZXT H700

Tried manual in bios just now. Max I can get is 4350, under 1.35V.
4400 - crash
Still don't know how and where to read actual voltage :(
1.35V set up in bios, ryzen master: 1.1V, CPUZ: 1.39V, HWinfo64: 1.056V...

Solution
Unless you manage to visibly burn CPU or have overheat marks, there's no way manufacturer may know that it was overclocked. Seeing how modern CPUs have very good overvolt and overheat protection, it's very difficult to burn them nowadays.
I just exchanged my 2700x for 3700x and didn't get to serious OC yet but properly set up with PBO2 it's quite close to boosting up to max frequencies automatically, I'm almost at a point of giving up on OC, it may help a bit with multi core performance but single core/thread performance stay same thru whole range of frequency.

czcina

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Forget software, concentrate on BIOS only. For beginning turn off all power saving features and PBO, just try with classic OC. Set multiplier and appropriate voltage bellow 1.4v and see how far that gets you.
Yeah, 1.35V set up in bios for 4350MHz, all works fine...
1.35V set up in bios, ryzen master: 1.1V, CPUZ: 1.39V, HWinfo64: 1.056V - all the results are not that close , should I "trust" what I put in bios and dont bother monitoring voltage? Since all the voltage numbers are way different ?

Yeah, 1.35V set up in bios for 4350MHz, all works fine...
1.35V set up in bios, ryzen master: 1.1V, CPUZ: 1.39V, HWinfo64: 1.056V - all the results are not that close , should I "trust" what I put in bios and dont bother monitoring voltage? Since all the voltage numbers are way different ?
All those voltages may be right depending on load at that time.

Even "static" OC nowadays still respect the power daemons in both Windows and Linux, so the OS still has some saying in how the CPU behaves via P-states and the Motherboard is in charge of ensuring the P-states actually work, unless they're disabled completely (including C-states).

I always advice against a fully manual OC nowadays as you're going to be wasting a lot of energy and putting the CPU at risk. You're better off understanding PBO a bit better and letting the motherboard adjust itself to maximize thermal room and voltage/power room (for Ry3K).

Use an off-set for the voltage if you're going to use manual though.

Cheers!

Reactions: TJ Hooker

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
You will be far better off using 2 X 8GB RAM modules as it will run in Dual Channel mode then.
These Ryzen chips really do benefit performance wise from faster RAM speeds and dual channel as opposed to your current single channel.

hirschbergt

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
All of the professional reviews that I have read indicated that overclocking the the 3000 series Ryzen is basically pointless, offering very little performance to be gained. Plus you void your warranty by overclocking a CPU that already is maxed out of the box. I would recommend getting your RAM up to 3600 MHz, as that is the sweet spot to be for the Ryzen 3000 based off AMD's recommendations.

Last edited:
Unless you manage to visibly burn CPU or have overheat marks, there's no way manufacturer may know that it was overclocked. Seeing how modern CPUs have very good overvolt and overheat protection, it's very difficult to burn them nowadays.
I just exchanged my 2700x for 3700x and didn't get to serious OC yet but properly set up with PBO2 it's quite close to boosting up to max frequencies automatically, I'm almost at a point of giving up on OC, it may help a bit with multi core performance but single core/thread performance stay same thru whole range of frequency.

Solution