Jan 14, 2020
building first computer and am thinking of basing it around the 3900x,
I will be gaming triple screen at 1080p(sim racing) and 4k on 1, also will be doing music production and video editing
Tried to future proof as much as I could as well as choose good components where needed
Any comments would be appreciated.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pDrqhg
This is my build so far
budget was around 2000 but will go up to 2500 if needed for tower, Screens, keyboard mouse etc have other budget.

Solution
the HD can be changed, this is just a rough draft so to speak. I was really trying to get a price point down.
I thought a larger case would help with airflow and leave room for upgrades later on?
Will check the mesh front case as that sounds way better
i was also thinking that a little overkill on PSU would benefit me later on if I wanted an Upgrade?
No to both displays and peripherals, but those are on a different budget as well.
thanks for the help!
Larger case: For the most part, a larger case doesn't mean more airflow. A mesh fronted micro ATX tower will have more airflow than an almost completely sealed off ATX full tower. I suggested to you some mesh fronted cases and some cases which are good without mesh, and instead...
Solid build. If you won't be gaming on the 4K monitor, then I don't really have anything to suggest for main components. But for that hard drive, do you already own it or are you going to buy it? It looks a bit sketchy.
Also, unless you really love the aesthetic of that case, I suggest you get something cheaper and perhaps more airflow friendly. Mesh fronted cases I would recommend are the Fractal Design Meshify C and Meshify S2, Phanteks P400A, and glass/metal fronted cases I would recommend are the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic/XL, or perhaps NZXT H700.
I also suggest you replace that unit with something better, and something less overkill in terms of wattage. A 3900X/2070S system won't really draw enough to warrant a 750W PSU for the most part, so I'd say 650W is enough. Also I would suggest an EVGA G3 or Corsair RMx unit, for a similar price. Both are really solid units.
Do you already have the displays and peripherals?

Reactions: jojesa
Jan 14, 2020
Solid build. If you won't be gaming on the 4K monitor, then I don't really have anything to suggest for main components. But for that hard drive, do you already own it or are you going to buy it? It looks a bit sketchy.
Also, unless you really love the aesthetic of that case, I suggest you get something cheaper and perhaps more airflow friendly. Mesh fronted cases I would recommend are the Fractal Design Meshify C and Meshify S2, Phanteks P400A, and glass/metal fronted cases I would recommend are the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic/XL, or perhaps NZXT H700.
I also suggest you replace that unit with something better, and something less overkill in terms of wattage. A 3900X/2070S system won't really draw enough to warrant a 750W PSU for the most part, so I'd say 650W is enough. Also I would suggest an EVGA G3 or Corsair RMx unit, for a similar price. Both are really solid units.
Do you already have the displays and peripherals?
the HD can be changed, this is just a rough draft so to speak. I was really trying to get a price point down.
I thought a larger case would help with airflow and leave room for upgrades later on?
i was also thinking that a little overkill on PSU would benefit me later on if I wanted an Upgrade?
No to both displays and peripherals, but those are on a different budget as well.
thanks for the help!

thanks for the help!
Larger case: For the most part, a larger case doesn't mean more airflow. A mesh fronted micro ATX tower will have more airflow than an almost completely sealed off ATX full tower. I suggested to you some mesh fronted cases and some cases which are good without mesh, and instead have side intake. If you go with the fractal options, it is recommended you cut the foam dust filters off of the inside of the mesh panels as that decreased temperatures quite a bit in their testing. Larger cases do not really accommodate more room for upgrades unless you plan on upgrading to an overkill EATX motherboard or you want to do custom water cooling (but the Meshify S2 is also quite water cooling friendly)

Overkill PSU: Usually, a PSU with more wattage doesn't make it more "future proof" As generations go on, chips get more power efficient. Now if you do plan on upgrading to a 2080 Ti or 3080 Ti, water cooling, and then overclocking a lot, 750W may be useful. But otherwise it's unlikely your system will need more than 550W on average. And in this case if you want a 750W psu, go for it. The higher quality of the PSUs I suggested to you matters more than that.

Solution
building first computer and am thinking of basing it around the 3900x,
I will be gaming triple screen at 1080p(sim racing) and 4k on 1, also will be doing music production and video editing
Tried to future proof as much as I could as well as choose good components where needed
Any comments would be appreciated.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pDrqhg
This is my build so far
budget was around 2000 but will go up to 2500 if needed for tower, Screens, keyboard mouse etc have other budget.

I'm currently have a 3800x, Asus TUF and 2070 Super. The gaming is smooth at 1440p but 4k really needs a 2080 Super or Ti for the best experience.

Jan 14, 2020
Larger case: For the most part, a larger case doesn't mean more airflow. A mesh fronted micro ATX tower will have more airflow than an almost completely sealed off ATX full tower. I suggested to you some mesh fronted cases and some cases which are good without mesh, and instead have side intake. If you go with the fractal options, it is recommended you cut the foam dust filters off of the inside of the mesh panels as that decreased temperatures quite a bit in their testing. Larger cases do not really accommodate more room for upgrades unless you plan on upgrading to an overkill EATX motherboard or you want to do custom water cooling (but the Meshify S2 is also quite water cooling friendly)

Overkill PSU: Usually, a PSU with more wattage doesn't make it more "future proof" As generations go on, chips get more power efficient. Now if you do plan on upgrading to a 2080 Ti or 3080 Ti, water cooling, and then overclocking a lot, 750W may be useful. But otherwise it's unlikely your system will need more than 550W on average. And in this case if you want a 750W psu, go for it. The higher quality of the PSUs I suggested to you matters more than that.
thanks! i was looking at the fractal meshy C version? cause its 50 dollars cheaper than the S2.
I wasn't really planning on overclocking either my CPU or my GPU unless the durability really isn't that affected. my plan was to try and not expand and contract it too much with extreme heating and cooling? Or is overclocking not as volatile as I think?
would it be better to just buy a 650W and if I upgrade too much for it later on just upgrade to another PSU as well?

Jan 14, 2020
I'm currently have a 3800x, Asus TUF and 2070 Super. The gaming is smooth at 1440p but 4k really needs a 2080 Super or Ti for the best experience.
i was going to be playing mostly single player/offline games on 4K and will do the bulk of my gaming at 1080p on shooters and racing. how is the Frames on the 2070 super at 4k? is it at least 30 fps?
would the 2080 super be worth the 250$ upgrade?
Thanks for the help!

thanks! i was looking at the fractal meshy C version? cause its 50 dollars cheaper than the S2.
I wasn't really planning on overclocking either my CPU or my GPU unless the durability really isn't that affected. my plan was to try and not expand and contract it too much with extreme heating and cooling? Or is overclocking not as volatile as I think?
would it be better to just buy a 650W and if I upgrade too much for it later on just upgrade to another PSU as well?
Meshify C is great as well. I still recommend you cut the foam dust filter off of the inside of the metal mesh, as that will decrease temps as well. The Meshify C is just less custom water cooling friendly than the S2, is all. You won't damage your CPU or GPU with extreme heating and cooling, you're more likely to damage it with high voltage. Lifetime of a chip is usually around 10-12 years, and with overclocking (as long as you stay within safe limits) it may be reduced to 8-10 years. If you know you will upgrade to dual GPU or something else more power consuming (Hint: most of the time the next generation has similar power draw to the current one), get an 850W unit now. Otherwise, get a 650W unit.

Jan 14, 2020
Meshify C is great as well. I still recommend you cut the foam dust filter off of the inside of the metal mesh, as that will decrease temps as well. The Meshify C is just less custom water cooling friendly than the S2, is all. You won't damage your CPU or GPU with extreme heating and cooling, you're more likely to damage it with high voltage. Lifetime of a chip is usually around 10-12 years, and with overclocking (as long as you stay within safe limits) it may be reduced to 8-10 years. If you know you will upgrade to dual GPU or something else more power consuming (Hint: most of the time the next generation has similar power draw to the current one), get an 850W unit now. Otherwise, get a 650W unit.
okay so If i were to overclock both CPU and GPU would water cooling be necessary ? i don't like the idea of water in my tower.
would 2 GPUs be better than 1 high end one? like 2080 super vs 2070 super plus another 200 dollar GPU?

okay so If i were to overclock both CPU and GPU would water cooling be necessary ? i don't like the idea of water in my tower.
would 2 GPUs be better than 1 high end one? like 2080 super vs 2070 super plus another 200 dollar GPU?
Water cooling is not necessary, you can overclock with a beefy noctua cooler and the GPU's heatsink should be fine. If you want to overclock, get a FTW3 card. It has a better cooler and increased power limit.
You can't do dual GPU with 2070 Super and a 200 dollar GPU; they need to be the same chip. Also right now games are poorly optimized for two GPUs. Rendering and video editing benefits, though.

Jan 14, 2020
Water cooling is not necessary, you can overclock with a beefy noctua cooler and the GPU's heatsink should be fine. If you want to overclock, get a FTW3 card. It has a better cooler and increased power limit.
You can't do dual GPU with 2070 Super and a 200 dollar GPU; they need to be the same chip. Also right now games are poorly optimized for two GPUs. Rendering and video editing benefits, though.
thanks! Im looking at the ftw3 2080 super!
would the be quiet Dark Rock pro 4 50.5 work for cooling or should I look at Noctua?
also the PSUs you recommended don't exactly line up with the MOBO I had, it says it needs another 4 pin atx power connector for another 12 V for extreme overclocking and GPU draws?
should I look at a different MOBO?

thanks! Im looking at the ftw3 2080 super!
would the be quiet Dark Rock pro 4 50.5 work for cooling or should I look at Noctua?
also the PSUs you recommended don't exactly line up with the MOBO I had, it says it needs another 4 pin atx power connector for another 12 V for extreme overclocking and GPU draws?
should I look at a different MOBO?
Dark Rock pro 4 is comparable to the NH D15, so it should be fine.
You don't need the extra 4 pin. I guess they think the 4 pin is needed for XOC on CPUs, but one 8 pin can already supply 380W, which is more than any cpu on that socket will draw. They may also be using it for powering PCIe X16 slots, but you don't need that either since the cards you are looking at have their own power connectors.
Though for motherboards I would suggest an X570 Aorus Elite or Aorus Pro (Pro has more debug features). The elite has a great VRM and is enough for the 3800X/3700X overclocked. Pro has a similar VRM but with post code, and a few more fan headers.

Jan 14, 2020
Dark Rock pro 4 is comparable to the NH D15, so it should be fine.
You don't need the extra 4 pin. I guess they think the 4 pin is needed for XOC on CPUs, but one 8 pin can already supply 380W, which is more than any cpu on that socket will draw. They may also be using it for powering PCIe X16 slots, but you don't need that either since the cards you are looking at have their own power connectors.
Though for motherboards I would suggest an X570 Aorus Elite or Aorus Pro (Pro has more debug features). The elite has a great VRM and is enough for the 3800X/3700X overclocked. Pro has a similar VRM but with post code, and a few more fan headers.
Thanks again! here is a revised build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HHLL4n
Ive been playing with a few items, always open to more change, but i added some peripherals as well for a more complete build setup, i was also looking to have my 4k being on a TV instead of a Monitor, but otherwise It should be a good first Draft.
comments would be appreciated and Thanks once again!!

Thanks again! here is a revised build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HHLL4n
Ive been playing with a few items, always open to more change, but i added some peripherals as well for a more complete build setup, i was also looking to have my 4k being on a TV instead of a Monitor, but otherwise It should be a good first Draft.
comments would be appreciated and Thanks once again!!
An Aorus Pro will handle a 3900X stock just fine, but overclocked, the VRM can get hot. If you don't need 12 cores, I suggest you get a 3800X. But then again, it's your money; spend it however you'd like. If you decide you want to overclock the 3900X, you might want to get an Aorus Master. A 2080 Super is overkill for 1080p144, but just about right for 4K, so it's a solid choice if you're going to be gaming on your 4K TV. Otherwise, I suggest a downgrade to a 2070S FTW3. Seagate is known for having less reliable and more failure prone high capacity drives, so I suggest getting a WD Black or WD Blue drive, or just get the seagate and keep a lot of external backups. RAM is 3600 16-19-19-39, which is Hynix J Die, so it isn't going to be great for overclocking. If you want to overclock your RAM, I suggest Samsung B die, for which good bins would be 3600 Mhz 16-16-16-36 or 3600 Mhz 14-14-14-34. That being said, B die is more expensive, so only get it if you think you might want to do memory tuning (keep in mind memory tuning in ryzen gives more gains than actual CPU overclocking). Also please take the solid panel off the front of the case and run it with just the mesh. Your components will thank you for not toasting them. I would still suggest a Fractal Meshify S2, but if you like the aesthetic of this case, it will do fine.

Besides gaming that is a productivity build for music production and video editing were both the 3900X and the GeForce RTX 2080 can be put to work.
High-resolution video editing and rendering, specially in 3D, can tax a GPU.
I wouldn't recommend OCing a system that will be used for work, it could cause issues that will affect production.
The Phanteks Eclipse P600S is a very good PC case with very good air flow. Easy to work inside and you will love the hinged door. Very good cable management, you could route cables from all sides of the motherboard.
They include cable ties but you won't even need them, since they provided tons of Velcros to hold cables.
The only thing I did not get was the sliding cable covers.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Jan 14, 2020
An Aorus Pro will handle a 3900X stock just fine, but overclocked, the VRM can get hot. If you don't need 12 cores, I suggest you get a 3800X. But then again, it's your money; spend it however you'd like. If you decide you want to overclock the 3900X, you might want to get an Aorus Master. A 2080 Super is overkill for 1080p144, but just about right for 4K, so it's a solid choice if you're going to be gaming on your 4K TV. Otherwise, I suggest a downgrade to a 2070S FTW3. Seagate is known for having less reliable and more failure prone high capacity drives, so I suggest getting a WD Black or WD Blue drive, or just get the seagate and keep a lot of external backups. RAM is 3600 16-19-19-39, which is Hynix J Die, so it isn't going to be great for overclocking. If you want to overclock your RAM, I suggest Samsung B die, for which good bins would be 3600 Mhz 16-16-16-36 or 3600 Mhz 14-14-14-34. That being said, B die is more expensive, so only get it if you think you might want to do memory tuning (keep in mind memory tuning in ryzen gives more gains than actual CPU overclocking). Also please take the solid panel off the front of the case and run it with just the mesh. Your components will thank you for not toasting them. I would still suggest a Fractal Meshify S2, but if you like the aesthetic of this case, it will do fine.
I was going to do Single player games in 4k on tv and fps and racing in 1080p on monitors so id like as much as i can reasonably get. is triple screen that much of a tax on a GPU?
I went with the WD Black, Thanks.
Cant find compatible Samsung RAM, is there another brand for OC?
I saw in reviews of the Meshy that it was made with some asphalt inside and fumes were a consistent problem for people so I was trying to stay away from that.
Thanks once again for the Help and the time out of your day.

Jan 14, 2020
Besides gaming that is a productivity build for music production and video editing were both the 3900X and the GeForce RTX 2080 can be put to work.
High-resolution video editing and rendering, specially in 3D, can tax a GPU.
I wouldn't recommend OCing a system that will be used for work, it could cause issues that will affect production.
The Phanteks Eclipse P600S is a very good PC case with very good air flow. Easy to work inside and you will love the hinged door. Very good cable management, you could route cables from all sides of the motherboard.
They include cable ties but you won't even need them, since they provided tons of Velcros to hold cables.
The only thing I did not get was the sliding cable covers.
My build theme was a gaming/streaming and a music/video production rig with the ability to withstand a few years time
With OCing what components can I do it to safely for production? RAM?
should i get components capable of OCing? Should I stay with stock AMD fan?
If I only look to use one maybe two 3.5 drive bays will it still work with the GPU?

My build theme was a gaming/streaming and a music/video production rig with the ability to withstand a few years time
With OCing what components can I do it to safely for production? RAM?
should i get components capable of OCing? Should I stay with stock AMD fan?
If I only look to use one maybe two 3.5 drive bays will it still work with the GPU?
I wouldn't OC any components in a system that will be used for work.
The performance gain wouldn't justify down time.
I would go with a aftermarket cooler like the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B. The stock cooler will get very loud to keep temps down.
You could have driver bays at the bottom left, close to the PSU or top right.

Last edited:
Reactions: extreme_noob