[SOLVED] 3900x fixed voltage 1.2v dangerous?

Jul 13, 2020
Hello there I got myself new pc pieces including a 3900x with a asus tuf x570 - cooler dark rock 4
I mainly use the computer when I come from work ( using 3dsmax for rendering and a bit of gaming as well )

But I noticed that while stressing out at cinebench r20 temps would rocket to 86º. (stock score 7400 - with the changes into voltage and speed - 7100 score )

I went to ryzen master and set a peak voltage to 1.2 at 4050mhz and it seems to stable out while under stress gets to 75º and idle 40-45º. ( with stock it would sometimes touch on 65º-70º on idle, would seem unstable somehow? )

BIOS chipset, graphics card everything up to date, windows 10 aswell, was the first thing I did after start moving stuff.

My question is the peak and average voltage is at 1.2 always, is there any way on ryzen master or anywhere else that i can set the voltage to not stay static? ( if it's not dangerous I would leave it that way? )

Bios settings on auto or they shouldn't be?
If you require any more info would gladly provide!

Sorry I am no expert into this matter and would like some input into this, thanks alot guys!

Solution
Guess I am very out of luck with fans..And I can't seem to find anything equivalent to this one you suggested.
with 4pins pwm to stay on motherboard and superior to 1500rpm and in terms of cooling quality, and 120mm, so frustrating..

wil the ARCTIC BioniX F120 will do the work?

I am in the meantime updating my RAM because im using 4x4gb 2133mhz. And i see Ryzen likes above 3200mhz ( i will be buying g.skill ripjaws v cl16 3200mhz )

Yes the bionix are very good fans, go right ahead with those.
Also swapping your ram to 2 x 8gb will pay huge dividends with performance.

Get those running full speed and maybe 15-20% performance increase.
Whats you PC case brand and model? How many fans and where are they placed inside it?, How hot is the place where you live?

All those 3 question will affect how a air cooler like yours (beQuiet dark rock 4) perform. Not to mention you are rocking a 12 Cores/24 Threads CPU :) .

I found a little bit troublesome that you mention idle temp use to be 65°~70°.

Thats why Im wondering if the cooler is well mounted?, if the thermal paste was new (perhaps it came preapplied which is fine)? and Everything was cleanned before installation? (this mean if you used other cooler earlier did you cleanned the old thermal paste before installing the bQ DR4?

If you could share a pic of the inside of the case where we can see the fans placements that will be great too.

Cheers

Reactions: garfsbastians
Jul 13, 2020
Whats you PC case brand and model? How many fans and where are they placed inside it?, How hot is the place where you live?

All those 3 question will affect how a air cooler like yours (beQuiet dark rock 4) perform. Not to mention you are rocking a 12 Cores/24 Threads CPU :) .

I found a little bit troublesome that you mention idle temp use to be 65°~70°.

Thats why Im wondering if the cooler is well mounted?, if the thermal paste was new (perhaps it came preapplied which is fine)? and Everything was cleanned before installation? (this mean if you used other cooler earlier did you cleanned the old thermal paste before installing the bQ DR4?

If you could share a pic of the inside of the case where we can see the fans placements that will be great too.

Cheers

I am currently at work but I have the NOX HUMMER ZX. it has 2 fans at the front and 1 in the back ( stock ones on it ) I'm currently in the process of buying 2 more to put on the top of the case

Everything was new and I used artic MX4 with the blob in the middle ( was not pre-applied to the cooler )
Yes, everything was from the box directly to the build.

CPU cooler fan poited to the front of the case.
Graphic Card pointing down

its currently 36 degrees outiside and 16.49 hours.
so maybe around 29º degrees inside?

I will eventually this weekend check the thermal paste, just wondering if it's dangerous to leave the 1.2v fixed voltage

If you're stable at 1. 2v you're stable.

Its not dangerous, ryzen has that weird voltage regulation where at idle clocks it ups voltage and at load it drops.

In all honesty it's fine at stock voltages, people panic seeing 65-70c at idle or low load but the fact is those temps are not harmful at all.

Voltage is generally the killer of cpu's not temperatures.

You would have way more control over voltage and clocks in the bios, ryzen master is handy for testing but not something I'd use primarily.

I'm not familiar with your board but if it has p-state overclocking that is the way to go.

Jul 13, 2020
If you're stable at 1. 2v you're stable.

Its not dangerous, ryzen has that weird voltage regulation where at idle clocks it ups voltage and at load it drops.

In all honesty it's fine at stock voltages, people panic seeing 65-70c at idle or low load but the fact is those temps are not harmful at all.

Voltage is generally the killer of cpu's not temperatures.

Is it in any way bad for like 5-6 years longevity? the frequencys to downclock when idle to 700mhz but the voltage just stays at 1.2 I reckon, too bad ryzen master wont let just to peak at 1.2v and work has normal when not on load.

Hope I am making myself clear aha, sorry if not, and thanks for the reply!

Jul 13, 2020
Is it in any way bad for like 5-6 years longevity? the frequencys to downclock when idle to 700mhz but the voltage just stays at 1.2 I reckon, too bad ryzen master wont let just to peak at 1.2v and work has normal when not on load.

Hope I am making myself clear aha, sorry if not, and thanks for the reply!

I could not understand my BIOS, tried to set the Vcore in there to 1.2 but it bounces to 1.4 anyway, don't know about if i shoudl elt PBO on or disabled,

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I could not understand my BIOS, tried to set the Vcore in there to 1.2 but it bounces to 1.4 anyway, don't know about if i shoudl elt PBO on or disabled,
I don't know, I never hit 1.4v, even in a CPU intensive games or rendering videos. I've left PBO+AutoOC on since I built about 3 months ago. Nothing like intel clocks I'm used to but it works decent enough.

Jul 13, 2020
I don't know, I never hit 1.4v, even in a CPU intensive games or rendering videos. I've left PBO+AutoOC on since I built about 3 months ago. Nothing like intel clocks I'm used to but it works decent enough.

What's your temp on rendering? if I may ask.
My 30minutes render if I let it fabric configuration gets to 87, with the tweaks 75º

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
With Vcore set that low, the cpu simply won't boost as high.

Don't treat it like an Intel cpu.
This cpu tunes itself better than you can.

For you to hit 86C under Cinebench R20 with a 3900X and a Dark Rock 4... what is your chassis, and how are your fans set up?

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Jul 13, 2020
With Vcore set that low, the cpu simply won't boost as high.

Don't treat it like an Intel cpu.
This cpu tunes itself better than you can.

For you to hit 86C under Cinebench R20 with a 3900X and a Dark Rock 4... what is your chassis, and how are your fans set up?

NOX HUMMER ZX - 2 fans on the front and 1 in the back, including the cooler with the fan pointing to the front, GPU is pointing the fans down.
I am still searching more 2 fans to put on the top of the case but can't choose what fans to put

Just wondering if the fan on the dark rock 4 is pointing the correct way?

Bequiet label on the centre should be visible and the struts should be to the heatsink - ie the front of the fan that ypu see should be entirely open.

The nox has good airflow with that perforated front, I would fit one more exhaust at top rear, don't fill the other top slot, it's inefficient and will interfere with the CPU cooler.

What are your ambient/room temps?

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 13, 2020

Bequiet label on the centre should be visible and the struts should be to the heatsink - ie the front of the fan that ypu see should be entirely open.

The nox has good airflow with that perforated front, I would fit one more exhaust at top rear, don't fill the other top slot, it's inefficient and will interfere with the CPU cooler.

it's mounted like this https://ibb.co/VgKgxLP

Jul 13, 2020

so no 2 fans only 1? room temp around 29º - outside is 36º

Jul 13, 2020
Ok, it's all adding up now.
-lack of fans
-not the best paste application either: because of the multi chip design of the 3900X, the middle paste application isn't optimal. The 'X' or 5-point applications are better.
-DR4 is a 200w cooler and the 3900X can draw up to 180w if the user really pushes it.

the wattage gets around 100w when on full load, not reaching that high!
yeh maybe i have to reapply with the X for this 3900x.

So should i place 2 or 1 fan on top? or any other configuration?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
the wattage gets around 100w when on full load, not reaching that high!
yeh maybe i have to reapply with the X for this 3900x.

So should i place 2 or 1 fan on top? or any other configuration?
I was simply stating that for the worst case scenario, that's all.

Just one. The DR4 isn't a very large cooler; if you did 2 top exhaust, the first fan would only serve to draw some cool air out before it even got to the cooler, and that would be a waste.

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 13, 2020
I was simply stating that for the worst case scenario, that's all.

Just one. The DR4 isn't a very large cooler; if you did 2 top exhaust, the first fan would only serve to draw some cool air out before it even got to the cooler, and that would be a waste.

ok then just one on top of the cooler, any recommendations on fans? like a Noctua NF-A12x25? I think it only fits a 120mm

Your fans are fine, it does only fit 120mm fans in top. In all honesty exhaust fans do not have to be anything spectacular branding /performance wise.
Theyre far less important on airflow than intakes.

Any half decent upto 1500rpm 120mm fan will go really.

What country are you in, where do you buy from, can recommend something cost effective then.

I'm with Phaaze88 regarding paste application, the old pea sized dot in the middle that's been a staple for years does not really apply to the ryzen (especially the 7 series and upwards) that whole die needs to be covered with the way the ccx cores are arranged internally.

Jul 13, 2020
Your fans are fine, it does only fit 120mm fans in top. In all honesty exhaust fans do not have to be anything spectacular branding /performance wise.
Theyre far less important on airflow than intakes.

Any half decent upto 1500rpm 120mm fan will go really.

What country are you in, where do you buy from, can recommend something cost effective then.

I'm with Phaaze88 regarding paste application, the old pea sized dot in the middle that's been a staple for years does not really apply to the ryzen (especially the 7 series and upwards) that whole die needs to be covered with the way the ccx cores are arranged internally.

Im from Portugal. I buy from www.globaldata.pt

So the best method will be the X?