Question 3900x - How to/can I cool it in my Phanteks Evolv Shift Air? HELP!

grhand82

Honorable
Oct 24, 2014
I have a Phanteks Evolv Shift Air case. Looking at doing some upgrades to create a beastly streaming rig out of it. I want to stress, this build is not a neccessity. Right now, just researching and running into questions that I haven't had to ask or look into before. I have build MANY custom PCs for the last 10 years, including for family and friends. I have overclocked CPUs, GPUs and memory. But, I have never touched streaming and to be honest, I have never utilized tech that is as powerful, power hungry or hot running. So here we go!

I have the means, not sure if I want to pull the trigger on this upgrade as in reality and, from a gaming standpoint, I don't need to. Productivity wise (Adobe Creative Suite, possibly starting streaming) I think upgrades would make sense. Even with my build, Adobe can be a pain in my butt (lol.) I have a home for my current hardware (the parts I will be parting with) should I go ahead.

Current build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/UltraMagnus69r/builds/#view=YcdXsY

What I plan on doing:

Keep the case, PSU, motherboard and current storage.

Looking at reusing the current motherboard, adding an additional 1TB NVME to the secondary slot on backside of the board. QUESTION: doing this will limit my PCI for my GPU to 8X. After looking at the diff between 16x and 8x, gaming won't take much of a hit, but using it for NVENC, would limiting to 8x be a factor for streaming?

Upgrade my GPU from a Sapphire Pulse 5700xt (which by the way is an AWESOME card for it's price. 1440p ultra is no problem.)

Upgrade the ram capacity to 32GB with a new kit. Thoughts? Is it necessary to stay at DDR4 3600 or would 3200 do just fine? I can grab a nice 32gb 3200 kit for like $75 cheaper and performance doesn't look to be impacted that much, but thats when looking at a processor like my current 3600.

Upgrade the CPU to a 3900x from my 3600. Here in lays the real question. How the heck would I cool something like that in an ITX case? I can fit a 140mm rad in the case but would it be efficient enough? Not looking to OC, but don't want to pay the 3900x price and not be able to at least run off stock clock speeds. Looked at a Cryorig C7G 405 (seems to be the best candidate air cooler) and cannot land on a quality AIO.

Suggestions on cooling a 3900x in a Evolv Shift Air case is what I am primarily looking for, but the other questions would be nice to have some input on as well. Please feel free to link to any articles and cooling suggestions. I want to keep my case, and I believe my PSU should be able to handle the power requirements.

Thanks and I hope I get quite a few suggestions. Here is the potential new build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n3xnwh

grhand82

Honorable
Oct 24, 2014
Also, I have done quite a bit of research on this over the last few weeks but haven't really came up with a good direction to go. TBH, everything I seem to find says the 3900x in a SFF is doable, but don't expect any OC (which I'm not planning on anyhow) but expect some thermal throttle.

martijnbove

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017
I wanted aircooling because i want the option to have a completely silent pc when i want to, i was able to fit the cryorig c1 with the noctua nf-a12x25 fan. This fit is very very tight but no adjustments had to be made, everything is stock. Note that you can only fit a slim fan next to the cooler. Im pretty sure this is THE best aircooling setup you can go for. The heatsink alone is 540grams compared to the c7g's 295grams and has 6 heatpipes compared to the c7g's 4. You cant fit tridentZ's under this cooler tho, max height is 42mm like my Gskill Ripjaws.

3liIIKv.jpg

martijnbove

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017
Oh i also used the Big shuriken 3 with a noctua nf-a12x25 fan, that cooler will fit your tridentZ's and you will have cpu cooler height to spare ( i ran that setup with my 3600c15 tridentz ram).